Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

peavy valve king amps........... a crap shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavy valve king amps........... a crap shoot?

i bought one yesterday (the bigger 2X12 one) , i played it through a gibson explorer like mine at the store, and i thought it sounded pretty damn good. i played a little more when i got home and i love the sound, the distortion was nice and heavy, but it had shimmering cleans. Everything i've ever wanted in an amp, plus a 100 watts of tube power what more could you ask for. So today i take it out side to see what the beast was made out of. i turned half way with the class A/AB turned all the way to A (40% power) and the thing started rattling apart, I was pissed.

So i was thinking should i get a SS half stack like the MG series marshall or should i get a B-52 half stack or should i tell them to order me another one.

Should i expect the same problem with another one or is this one a crap shoot . the part that i think is vibrating is the power supply. i did good on the deal ( if i break a rule joe just edit this part out) it was 619 + tax. i told the guy $580 out the door. He went for it.

any other suggestions, remembering that i only have $580 to work with.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Try another one. They shouldn't rattle apart at extreme volume. If the next one rattles apart go for a used 5150 combo. You can score one for $580 easily and it will not rattle apart until after you and your friends are completely deaf.

Comment

aren't 5150 single channel, i though about used but shipping cost way to much now a days. Then theres always that feeling like im going to get screwed over. i need good cleans, hell if i have to put a stomp box in front of the damn thing then so be it!!!!!!!!!
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
        aren't 5150 single channel, i though about used but shipping cost way to much now a days. Then theres always that feeling like im going to get screwed over. i need good cleans, hell if i have to put a stomp box in front of the damn thing then so be it!!!!!!!!!

The 5150 is a 2 channel amp which you can footswitch between the 2 channels and footswitch the effects loop on and off. The combo also has reverb. Many people claim the clean sucks. It depends on what you are using it for. If you are in a Beatles tribute band or doing jazz.. yea it sucks. If you need a clean channel for metal.. its perfectly fine. The louder you have the amp.. the better the clean channel sounds. The trick is to roll the guitar volume down a little.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          The 5150 is a 2 channel amp which you can footswitch between the 2 channels and footswitch the effects loop on and off. The combo also has reverb. Many people claim the clean sucks. It depends on what you are using it for. If you are in a Beatles tribute band or doing jazz.. yea it sucks. If you need a clean channel for metal.. its perfectly fine. The louder you have the amp.. the better the clean channel sounds. The trick is to roll the guitar volume down a little.
          actually you hit it dead on jazz on the week days. and dethklok on the weekends. thats why i fell in love with it............. so 5150 out the question, damn this sucks......

Comment

Maybe you need to sniff around for a used Vetta. I've not used one, but there are some people around here who know their stuff who swear by them. I don't really need shimmery cleans, so I just roll off the volume of my guitar to clean up my sound. But from what I hear, the Vettas can really handle a wide range of tones.

Comment

The Vetta cleans are pretty extraordinary. Tons of different clean tones to choose from - put some chorus and delay out there and it gets down right lush. Higher gains are also excellent IMHO.

Comment

I love my Vetta combo!! I also picked up a Carvin MTS 3200 combo Sunday and I really like it so far. All tube with an awesome clean channel. The distortion is really good too, almost early Megadeth-ish.

Comment

$615?!?!?!? I got mine for like $500 before Christmas!

I love these things, but they need something like a Sonic Maximizer or something in front. I put an MXR Supercomp in the loop (stays off) and it cleans up the sound AND boosts the signal. Besides that, very good heads.
                  "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
                  Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
                  Dimebag Darrell
                  Chuck Schuldiner
                  Cliff Burton

Comment

I was going to buy a valveking until I cranked it up and it did exactly that, RATTLED.
                    sigpic

Comment

Are you guys experienceing this on combo amps, only, or have you experienced it with the heads, too. I had thought about picking up one of the heads. I gotta imagine that this is something that can be remedied, though.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Nvm my post... mine's about the head version....

and on the head, I don't get that problem.
                        "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
                        Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
                        Dimebag Darrell
                        Chuck Schuldiner
                        Cliff Burton

Comment

I would probably go with either a Peavey Classic combo, or a Carvin MTS.
                          I've been looking into a 50 watt combo for a while now, and the Valvekings appear less interesting every day.
                          Hey Nonny Nonny Milord!
                          http://www.monsterjoe.be

Comment

I would return it and try another one. I bet it's just something loose.

If you would rather another amp,look into Fender amps. There cleans are the best in the bussiness for anything and they take peda very well. You could score a Deville amp.

If modeling is your thing, try out a Vox Ad series. You get alot of amp for the money. Modeling isn't my think but the Vox amps do it pretty good.

Dan

Comment

well i took it back........ they didn't have crap........so i walked out with a Mg series Cab and a B-52 stealth series head...............regretting it now........... i might take back the head and buy a fender frontman head or something

Comment

Working...
                              X