Free amplifier speaker(s)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free amplifier speaker(s)!

I heard this from Jimmy Page in a book. He had a cab with some shitty speakers and he wanted some good ones. So, he went to his local music shop, bought a nice cab. He swapped the speakers (so now his original amp had the good speakers), and he returned the newly bought cab for a refund. Voila! Free speakers! Anyone every tried this? I hear it's a popular thing :P Experiences? Funny stories?
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

oh man haha that's genious!!
    ----------
    Gear Action - Washburn Dime 2ST Pro, BC Rich NT Jr. V w/EMG, Dean DFH/CFH, Dean V-Coustic, Jackson USA KV2, Peavey 5150 II, Randall 412CXM, BBE 362 Sonic maximizer, Alesis 3630 noise gate

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
      I heard this from Jimmy Page in a book. He had a cab with some shitty speakers and he wanted some good ones. So, he went to his local music shop, bought a nice cab. He swapped the speakers (so now his original amp had the good speakers), and he returned the newly bought cab for a refund. Voila! Free speakers! Anyone every tried this? I hear it's a popular thing :P Experiences? Funny stories?
      Depends on where you go. I've never tried that myself, but I saw a guy get caught once doing it. I've also seen a dude buy a cab, swap speakers right there in the parking lot, and take the cab back in for a refund.

If it were me I'd buy from a chain like GC in the morning after the store opens, and then return it a few days later before they close at night, that way you likely wont be dealing with the same guy you bought it from. The good thing about using a chain store is that if you don't have any luck at one location you can just go to another.
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

What goes around, Comes around.....
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Haha, I was really thinking of doing this when I buy my new Peavey Classic 30. , Works with preamp tubes too

Comment

Hopefully, the person that returned it before "you" bought it, beat ya to it...

What is this Harmony Central?

Comment

I personally think that's an a-hole move. I know if I was on the receiving end of that, I'd be looking to nail the prick that did it.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I'd use a rental cab. Returning a cab has a 18% restocking fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                  I personally think that's an a-hole move.
                  +1. I remember reading a story in the early '80s about Nikki Sixx... he took an empty case into a guitar shop, checked out a few guitars, loaded one into his case and left.
                  That's why stores check your cases and write down the serial numbers of all gear you bring in and recheck everything on your way out.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So in order to become famous, you have to be a thieving soulless criminal.

Why the hell am I unknown then

Seriously, Karma can be real....Not something I'd try, and definitely not to a mom 'n pop shop.
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Shit, now I have to undo the back of the Marshall cab I just bought.

This thread is going to be a waste of some of my time.

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
                        Shit, now I have to undo the back of the Marshall cab I just bought.

This thread is going to be a waste of some of my time.
                        I certainly hope it's not a bigger waste of your time when you look inside that cab and find some Kraco 6"X9"s

Seriously, you shouldn't have to think about this kinda crap with new gear. Used, you never know what people do before they pawn...
                        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Bad Karma.

Comment

that is stealing, plain and simple. if i were somebody of low enough moral fiber (which i am NOT) to even think of doing something that shady, i certainly wouldn't advertise it.

good grief.....
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Scumbag move IMHO.

-Nate
                              Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Working...
                              X