Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about MXR: Compressor and Phaser

Hi

Soon I'm gonna get a compressor and a phaser pedal. I really like the MXR line, plus, I got an MXR 10 band EQ which is killer.

1) The compressor.

I'm going with the Dyna Comp. I wanna know any opinions on this pedal. I play some fast funky clean lines, and I need to get that clicky, even sound I often hear on records, like on some RHCP stuff, etc. Will this pedal do it effectively? Is it known for this?

2) The Phaser.

I first owned an MXR Phase 90. I had to let it go since it was too subtle to my taste. I needed something a bit more dramatic, deep, swooshy. So I got a USA Small Stone. I like the pedal, but, this time, I dunno what it was, maybe it didn't have enough "stages" or something, thing is, the pedal sounded deep alright (colour switch on) but it wasn't very swooshy, like it sweeped fast. So, I'm looking into the MXR Phase 100. Any opinions on this? Will it give me the sound I'm looking for?

I am a fan of the subtle smooth MXR Phase 90 - I use an EVH. I doubt the 100 would do it for you. My next favorite phaser would probably be the Maxon Vintage series one. It is freakin' great:

Official website for Maxon guitar effects and accessories. Learn about our pedals and artists, buy products online, get the latest news and reviews, downloads and more!

As for a compressor, my favorite pedal is the Keeley one. If you are really going for the squishy/clicky thing - the Boss CS compressors should do the trick.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I agree with Tim on the Phase 90 and the Boss compressor...these will do what you want them to. I own and use both.
      The Keeley compressor is a better unit than the Boss IMO, but the Boss is better for what you want it to do...the Keeley is more subtle.
      The Small Stone is a great sounding phaser as well, but it colors your sound more than the MXR and can frequently "bleed through" even when turned off.

Comment

Yeah, Maxon makes good stuff. You can't go wrong there. I had a Small Stone phaser briefly. I got rid of it because it was noisy and was a tone sucker. I now have the Retro-Sonic phaser which is awesome!

Rudy
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
        X