Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBE MaxCom Dual-Channel Sonic Maximizer.. question

Hey,

A local guy is selling one of these for $120 obo and I am thinking about picking one up. I need a gate and I was looking to pick up a boost for my 5150 anyways.

I am assuming the the sonic maximizer works as a typical BBE sonic maximizer does but I wanted to know about the compressor/limiter/gate and how well they work. The main reason I am interested is for a noisegate but since it has a built in boost I wanted to check it out. I am wondering if I am better off buying a single noisegate and a separate boost and spending a little more in the long run.

I'll be checking it out through my rig soon enough but I wanted to get your guys' input on them.

Thanks
    Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 03-07-2007, 06:23 PM.
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

I have the two-channel 362NR (noise reduction) Sonic Maximizer in my recording rig, and although I haven't yet had my rack setup cranked to "real" volumes yet, I've experimented a bit with it. The BBE combination devices are geared toward general purpose studio use, not necessarily guitar applications. I have found that my NR model is good as a sort of secondary EQ, providing a final layer of tweaking before the power amp to correct muddy or harsh frequencies. I'm only making an assumption here, as the unit you mentioned is different from mine, but you would *probably* find it to be a subtle effect compared to dedicated units each providing the functions found in the BBE combo.

As I recall, my Hush wasn't playing nice in your 5150's effects loop, but did I play through my ART head with and without the Hush? It is night and day. Using a similar ART preamp with the BBE, the noise reduction is nowhere near as effective. Again, that's not to say that the unit you're looking at won't provide better results, but I would suggest checking the BBE site for any documentation regarding that specific model.
    sigpic

Comment

Eh.. I might just say to heck with it. I found a Boss NS-2 noisegate for a good price around here. All I'd need after that is a good boost and I'd be set for a while.
      Last edited by Thor Von Clemson; 03-07-2007, 09:57 PM.
      Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
      The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I have one.

It's not a great noise gate. I mean you won't notice that huge effect on noise like with a Rocktron Hush or even the Boss. I also will say that I found the Rocktron Hush quite a bit more effective than the Boss NS-1, as well.

The Maxcom is a decent compressor, but if your buying it for your main compressor you might be a little disappointed as well.

On the other hand depending on the amp your using the Sonic Maximizer might be well worth your while. I have to say the SM really wakes up a Peavey, helps a Mesa Rec and doesn't do a damn thing for a Marshall. I would put a 5150 II with a SM up against ANY metal amp EVER. It's huge.

In a nutshell, I wouldn't get the maxcom if your really looking after a serious gate, but it's not bad to have in the rack. I would say take a look at the Hush (SuperC).

Comment

Working...
        X