SLO 100 Clone in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLO 100 Clone in the house

Well.. I just got it today. I want to post an in depth review but for now let me give you my first impression.

I guess the only amps that are in the same league as this amp are highly modded Marshalls.
    After 15 minutes of playing it I can completely understand why players willingly plunk down $3800.00 for a new one and $2200.00 for a used one.
    I also understand why Soldano SLO100 players are so loyal to their amps.

For those of you who like to plug in and play. This is your amp. Great clean channel and the best high gain Marshall tone I ever heard. The tightness and bottom end chunk is incredible. The clarity and definition of every note has to be heard to be believed. Baseline settings are all you need. You don't need to do much tweaking with this amp.

This amp is everything a 5150 and a high gain Marshall wished it could ever be.
    As soon as I figure out how to incorporate this into my live rig it will certainly be my new live amp.

You know how when you plug into a really great amp for the first time you instantly know that its a winner. This is that amp.

I knew you'd like her. So, do you like the Vetta SLO setting better?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
      I knew you'd like her. So, do you like the Vetta SLO setting better?

Pete
      Pete, the Vetta Soldano model sounds fantastic until you hear the real thing. The problem with the Vetta Soldano is that it sounds like the radio version of the real thing. Its too "politically correct".
      The SLO is clear. Really clear.
      No mud at all.
      I really don't think that the fans could tell the difference but I can certainly feel the difference when I am playing the real thing.

Comment

I am curious how your clone does against the real thing. I talked with a guy who also builded a SLO clone (with Marshall replacement transformers) and he told that if you play his clone side by side with a real SLO100 that there is a difference. From what i heard the original DeYoung transformers are very special and it's no secret that the transformers contribute big time to the sound.

But sounds like you got a very nice amp.

Flo
        http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Infernal Death View Post
          I am curious how your clone does against the real thing. I talked with a guy who also builded a SLO clone (with Marshall replacement transformers) and he told that if you play his clone side by side with a real SLO100 that there is a difference. From what i heard the original DeYoung transformers are very special and it's no secret that the transformers contribute big time to the sound.

But sounds like you got a very nice amp.

Flo

I think it's really close - probably 90%. It's a hell of a lot closer than the 'hot rod' Soldanos IMHO. There's also a difference between different SLO 100s... I've never heard two amps from the same manufacturer that sounded exactly the same. Marshalls are notorious for this.

Pete

Comment

What kind of transformers are in the clone?

Having the DeYoungs is a big differentiator between the SLO and HR series. HR amps use Mercury Magnetics transformers...still high quality units.

A bunch of guys here locally did a shootout with four SLO100's spanning five years of manufacture dates and they were very consistent. The tolerances of the components in the SLO/X-series lines are very tight. Tube variations probably account for most of any difference. Some had 5881 power tubes and some had 6L6GCs. Of course preamp tubes were all over the map. Even still they had the distinctive SLO tone across the amps.

I'd like to hear the clone amp. It sure looked to be well constructed in the pics.
            www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

I'm curious about the general going costs of the clones...

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
                What kind of transformers are in the clone?

Having the DeYoungs is a big differentiator between the SLO and HR series. HR amps use Mercury Magnetics transformers...still high quality units.

A bunch of guys here locally did a shootout with four SLO100's spanning five years of manufacture dates and they were very consistent. The tolerances of the components in the SLO/X-series lines are very tight. Tube variations probably account for most of any difference. Some had 5881 power tubes and some had 6L6GCs. Of course preamp tubes were all over the map. Even still they had the distinctive SLO tone across the amps.

I'd like to hear the clone amp. It sure looked to be well constructed in the pics.
                I had my pal James Peters take a gander at several pics - he ID'd the iron as being the better Marshall 'stock' replacement transformers available aftermarket. I also asked him if I should swap em out, he advised to keep the amp as is. Of course, you can't get DeYoung transformers at all, so that wasn't an option.

The circuit ain't the same in the HR and SLOs. Soldano is full of shit when they say it's the same circuit - which they damn near claim on every amp they build. It isn't. I took a HR 50 channel switcher to a friend's house who had an SLO - we took gut shots of both amps and inspected them pretty completely, and play tested them too.

The HR was a nice amp, I liked the clone better and of course, dug the SLO most of all.

Pete

Comment

I believe on the SLO100 clone forum they say that the best you can get are the Onetic transformers. But they are pricey.

Flo
                  http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                    I'm curious about the general going costs of the clones...
                    The good/bad thing about the clones is that for the most part it's guys like me - informed hobby dudes building them. So you can get an amp that is built well, or one that isn't. I'd advise seeing plenty of gut shots of other amps they built - a high gain amp that looks like a rat's nest probably has all sorts of issues and problems.

The clone I sold John was built by A.M.Negrini - and it was built as well IMHO as a 'real' soldano. The amp even has a serial number - I guess he was going to go into 'SLO clone production'. I did a search for info on the guy on the 'net, and heard he was killed in a car wreck not too long after building John's amp. I priced it at $1200 because that's midrange what a 100 watt hot rod soldano is selling for - and I think this amp is better than a hot rod.

Weber sells a kit that is very soldanoish - it's around $600. A friend built one, has a noise in it he can't figure out, and has been trying to sell it to me. Not sure if I want to dig through it, because it sure ain't laid out as well as the SLO clone in this thread.

Pete

Comment

Cool,,,more SLO100 talk. SInce I got mine (real thing) a year and a half ago,,,,it simply ended all the longings I have had for tone since I was 14. I really desire no other amp,,,and plugging in is all it takes to floor me all over again. I still can't believe I finally own one!

Comment

Originally posted by lynchfan6 View Post
                        Cool,,,more SLO100 talk. SInce I got mine (real thing) a year and a half ago,,,,it simply ended all the longings I have had for tone since I was 14. I really desire no other amp,,,and plugging in is all it takes to floor me all over again. I still can't believe I finally own one!

What do you suggest I put in the loop? I absolutely need solo boost, chorus and delay. This amp kills. Its perfect. I am bringing it to band rehearsal tomorrow and I am playing it totally dry. Just a wah and a tuner out in front. Thats it. No solo boost, no delay, no chorus, no nothing.
                        It should be interesting. I am wondering if I should bring a Marshall cab though because I use a 5150 4 x 12 cab at the rehearsal studio.

Comment

How much does it cost?
                          Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                            How much does it cost?
                            This one was $1200.00 and it was a steal. Pete totally hooked me up.
                            I can't imagine finding another amp this good for that kind of money.
                            Regarding live amps.. I also have a Vetta HD, a 5150II and a Hollywood Modded Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce.
                            The Stiletto has a more modern heavy metal type gain. Its also less harsh and high gain sounding. Its a fantastic amp. Its the best Mesa Boogie I have ever owned.
                            The 5150II sounds alot like the SLO but its looser and it doesn't have the definition that the SLO has. The best way to describe it is that it sounds cheap next to the SLO.
                            The Vetta is the best amp choice I have ever made. It does it all and more. I literally love the amp. It is a blast to play, record with and tweak.
                            The SLO is in a league of its own. For those of you who have never had the chance to try one or even hear one live (this is my first time hearing or playing one in person) just think about the best high gain Marshall amp you have ever heard. The type of high gain tone that you can hear every string, every harmonic, every overtone.. Thats what this amp sounds like.
                            Word of caution though... this amp is VERY unforgiving. If you suck.. everybody will know. There is no hiding sloppy playing with this amp.

Comment

ok. I've heard that EVH used to mod his Marshalls with Soldano parts. hence the 5150, which is supposed to behave like a SLO 100. I dont think I want to spend that amount for SLO yet. I dont konw if this is true or not, but a 5150II does not have the low-end that a 5150 has. Bob of eurotubes told me this. Of course the cleans of any amp will be better than my 5150's but if you could compare a 5150 with yours and let us know, that will be a real eye-opener.

Also, can you play the SLO at bedroom volumes and still sound good? Just like you can on the 5150?

thanks
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X