Need Preamp Help-Rectifier Tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Preamp Help-Rectifier Tone

I need Mesa Boogie Rectifier sound in a Preamp. I have a Tech 21 Sansamp PSA-1 that does a pretty good job with the Rectifier and a Voodoo Amps modded MP-1 which gives me great Hot Rodded Marshall tones, but no Mesa Rectifier sounds.

I've been looking into the Triaxis (which I read in some old threads it has everything Mesa, except Rectifier) and the Mesa Recording Preamp (much less expensive). There's none in my area to test. I'm only in the 4th largest city in the US and none of these models to check out.

Would the Triaxis work or should I look at the Mesa Boogie Recording Rectifier Preamp? Thanks in advance. I'm just baffled here.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

The Rectifier Preamp is the bees knees. Call around, find one, try it. You won't be disappointed.
    - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

AMT Extreme 3

Comment

Wow, what a deal. You mean I don't need to spend $900-$1500 to get that rectifier sound? Thanks Toejam and JGCable.

I'll have to order one of those and try it out. I never heard of the company.
        If I want to spend more bucks later, I'll go for the Mesa Preamp. I like spending money! Thanks for the help!
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Go for it. I love mine!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Extreme III on the way! Thanks again! Oh yea, that made my budget much better, enough to afford another power amp. While I was at it, I ordered a Mesa Boogie 2:100 power amp. Do you think it's too big for my bedroom?

Comment

Extreme 3! Got it from the place you recommended Toejam! Fast shipping. I tried it out in my rig. I ran it through my preamp on bypass directly to the VHT 2/90/2. Just amazing, a rectifer amp in a stomp box. Next I added a little delay from my Boss pedal. Then, I turned off the Boss Delay and went through the the GMajor with some delay, then BBE 882i, then the VHT 2/90/2. I AB it with the factory rectifier Preset in the Sansamp PSA-1 and it was dead on. Cool little box! Now I have to try it through my Jazz Chorus 120 and my Fender Vibrolux.:ROTF: On the high bass setting I was over driving one of my Marshall cabs with vintage 30's. I had to back off the knob a little to keep the speakers from fluttering. The other cab had the 75 watters and could take the high bass setting no problems.

All in all a pretty amazing little box. I guess there's a place for Siberia after all. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Awesome! Glad you're digging it. They really don't have much else to do in Siberia. :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                  Extreme 3! Got it from the place you recommended Toejam! Fast shipping. I tried it out in my rig. I ran it through my preamp on bypass directly to the VHT 2/90/2. Just amazing, a rectifer amp in a stomp box. Next I added a little delay from my Boss pedal. Then, I turned off the Boss Delay and went through the the GMajor with some delay, then BBE 882i, then the VHT 2/90/2. I AB it with the factory rectifier Preset in the Sansamp PSA-1 and it was dead on. Cool little box! Now I have to try it through my Jazz Chorus 120 and my Fender Vibrolux.:ROTF: On the high bass setting I was over driving one of my Marshall cabs with vintage 30's. I had to back off the knob a little to keep the speakers from fluttering. The other cab had the 75 watters and could take the high bass setting no problems.

All in all a pretty amazing little box. I guess there's a place for Siberia after all. Thanks for the advice!
                  Glad you like it. Its really quiet too!! I couldn't get over how quiet it is. You can also run direct into the board with it for recording!

Comment

I just tried it with the Jazz Chorus 120:ROTF: I don't think the "clean" amp liked it's speaker cones moving that much, but it was OK. Much better with a tube amp though.

Comment

ADA MP-1 with the 3.666 mod. Absolutely NAILS the recto tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                        I just tried it with the Jazz Chorus 120:ROTF: I don't think the "clean" amp liked it's speaker cones moving that much, but it was OK. Much better with a tube amp though.
                        LOL When I put it through my Jackson 2x12 cabs, regardless of whether I use my THD Univalve, Crate BV60 or Tech 21 TM300 heads, the speakers will usually rattle and fart out a little (they're some kind of Eminence speakers). I usually use it through my Randall 2x12/1x15 (Eminence Legend speakers)and have no problems at all.
                        I haven't tried it with my compact Crate 4x12, but my old Carvin DCM150 poweramp with whatever preamp I used would make those flutter pretty easily.

Comment

Is the Mesa Quad Preamp any good?

Comment

Originally posted by dmtnt View Post
                            ADA MP-1 with the 3.666 mod. Absolutely NAILS the recto tone.
                            +1

I love how much gain that mod pumps out of the speakers!!

Comment

Working...
                            X