Help: Carvin X-100B & BBE 422

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Carvin X-100B & BBE 422

Has anyone had luck running a BBE Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop of a Carvin X-100B? I recently purchased a used BBE 422, but I can't get any output. I have power(leds light up) and it is hooked up correctly, but when I turn it on it mutes my sound to almost nothing coming out of the amp. Adjusting the knobs and buttons on the BBE have no effect. I know my effects loop works because I can run other effects without any problem. Is there a compatibility issue or is something wrong with the BBE? Any ideas?

No compatability issues there. If other things work in the loop and it is assuredly hooked up correctly, it sounds like the BBE is whacky...

They do have sensitive pots on them that fritz out, an in/output jack could be bad, or the unit could just be fried I spose. Does it appear that the LEDs are actuating and changing colors (red yellow green I believe) as if it were getting a signal and altering it? if it is, could be a bad or dirty output jack. Checking/cleaning the jacks and their connection to the PCB in general isnt a bad idea anyways, but if the lights are changing it would at least say the unit isn't DOA. They have VERY sensitive (cheap ass) pots, and cleaning them will destroy them I'm told.

Could try plugging guitar into the BBE and running it the front I guess to see if it works.

Comment

The LEDS light up but they do not change at all. Just the yellow is lit. I'm thinking that something is wrong with the unit. I'll try running it in front this evening and see what happens. Thanks.

Comment

If just the yellow is on, sounds like it isn't getting a signal to manipulate or of course, could be it's just really "broke".

Open and check the input jack and its solder joints to PCB), but maybe it's just dead in general.

Comment

hmmm..The 422 is a two channel unit..you tried both sides in the loop right?

Seems like a silly question..but ya never know.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah I've tried both channels and nada. I believe something is wrong with this unit. I'm gonna open it up tonight and take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
              Yeah I've tried both channels and nada. I believe something is wrong with this unit. I'm gonna open it up tonight and take a look.
              Wow, that blows..try with another amp..any amp if possible. Do you run anything at all in the loop..just to rule out that you don't have any probs with the amp loop itself..is there a bypass button on that Carvin loop?..

just thinkin'..could be something silly, or the unit is shot. I never had one go bad..I've owned a few..new and used.

The pots gets dirty and pop and crackle only when you turn the knobs but that's about it.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Read his post man. He said other stuff works in the loop and it don't. So, I don't think that trying another amp will help.

Rich K at Krintek was saying he's seen a lot of BBE's come through over the years with issues...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                  Read his post man. He said other stuff works in the loop and it don't. So, I don't think that trying another amp will help.

Rich K at Krintek was saying he's seen a lot of BBE's come through over the years with issues...

Oh well, the loop is fine and both channels of that unit sounds like it's F'd in the A..

That blows..that 422 is the model to have too. I'd like to see if it worked well with the Carvin. I discovered the BBE either works very well or sounds like total crap thru various amps. My guess it would do well in the Carvin.

Comment

Thanks for your replys. I've concluded that there must be a problem with the BBE. Everything else runs fine and sounds great in the loop but if I turn on the BBE it kills it. I don't think my signal is passing thru. I took the unit apart tonight and everything looks intact and I'm no electronics whiz. I'm gonna either have it serviced or replace it with a new one. I'll let you know what happens.

Comment

Seeing them around for as low as 50 bucks at times, I'm doubting repair would be economical...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                        Seeing them around for as low as 50 bucks at times, I'm doubting repair would be economical...

Yeah, that's what I paid for mine...good luck!

Comment

Hey man, if you get another one, please post an update. I have a Carvin X100B with EL34`s and was thinking of trying a 422 in mine. Jack.

Comment

Working...
                          X