Boss GT-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT-8

Well fella's... I went for a Boss GT-8 for my Soldano SLO clone. I am going to use the 4 cable method. I talked to many people and they told me that it should work out great. It will also be nice to have an emergency rig (GT-8) onstage just incase my amp craps out.
    I was reading about the GT-8. I should be able to figure it out quickly because I used a GT-6 for almost 3 years. One thing that sounds UBER cool regarding the GT-8 is the dynamic a/b switching. This is the ability to control the switching between amp 1 and amp 2 with the guitar volume control. Basically.. I could have a nylon acoustic patch running through a Fender Twin Reverb with my guitar volume turned down and when I crank the volume I could have a 5150 kick in!
    I also like the spill over effects, the ability to channel switch my Soldano and being able to place stomp box effects before the amp or in the loop.

Reading the manual almost makes it sound like it has more features than my Vetta! We will see about that.
    If this rig doesn't work I willl just use the Vetta live and I will religate the GT-8 to the studio and for jam nights.

Pretty straight forward if your used to Roland products. Just remember
    to push each button twice for "on, or off" and after tweaking, and you
    like what you have push "write"....turn the scroll knob to where you want
    to assign this patch, and then push "write" again. I keep discovering a
    hotter, more intense "Uber" sound every couple of days with this thing!
    So whenever i think ive tapped it out to its potential, i blow away
    what i thought was a great tone, and have to re-write my favorites all
    over again! Think of how this is going to be with a Line6 POD xt pro
    in line with it too! Effects heaven...or Effects HELL ? LOL

Comment

Hey, Nice Unit!
      Good Luck

Comment

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say after a few days with it. I have been tempted to buy a Vetta after the reviews about it but I do like my Boss products.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Argh, John, you may not like it. I didn't like how it affected the tone with mine... However, I ran a G-Major and it seemed to be ok with the SLO clone.

One other option that I didn't get into but heard about are converters that will change your signal level from pedal to line to better match the loop.

The GT8 is a great piece of gear, but I don't think it plays well with the SLO clone. You might disagree though.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
            Argh, John, you may not like it. I didn't like how it affected the tone with mine... However, I ran a G-Major and it seemed to be ok with the SLO clone.

One other option that I didn't get into but heard about are converters that will change your signal level from pedal to line to better match the loop.

The GT8 is a great piece of gear, but I don't think it plays well with the SLO clone. You might disagree though.

Pete
            Hey Pete, I don't like the 4 cable method with the SLO. I got it to work and I figured everything out but it just doesn't cut it.
            I then threw the GT-8 in the loop of the SLO. I am basically using the GT-8 as an effects processor, a channel switcher, a tuner and a volume pedal for solo boost. It does suck a considerable amount of tone but I was able to dial some of it back in with the global EQ on the GT-8. One nice feature is being able to use the acoustic simulator on the GT-8 and having it change the channel on my Soldano to the clean channel at the same time.

The really messed up thing about it though is how GREAT the GT-8 amp models sound. Almost made me want to use the SLO as a power amp only!!
            I will say this with 100% certainty. The Vetta SMOKES the GT-8 in every respect except for the amount of effects.
            I will also say that having a GT-8 is great if you are into Boss pedals because this sucker has just about every one ever made.
            We will see how it works out at band rehearsal on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              Suggestion...try the GT-8 direct to PA. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I tried the GT-8 with a couple of my tube amps (Marshall and a Boogie) in stereo, 4CM and just in the loop and just could not dial in great tone. I then bought a couple Mackie SRM450's and have not looked back. Night and day. Full Stereo goodness with lot's tone and stereo. I really don't miss my tubes. Maybe what I have lost in tube tone goodness is compensated with the flexibility/variety of the GT-8.

IMHO you need Full Range Flat Response rig to experience the GT8 to it's fullest. Some people have had success with their tube amps and the 8, but unfortunately it seems they are the minority.

If you love your tone with the great SLO, and really just need a multifx unit that doesn't color your sound or "tone suck", I don't think the GT-8 is going to be your best solution. I LOVE the 8, just not in that application.
              "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

Hey Pete, I don't like the 4 cable method with the SLO. I got it to work and I figured everything out but it just doesn't cut it.
                I then threw the GT-8 in the loop of the SLO. I am basically using the GT-8 as an effects processor, a channel switcher, a tuner and a volume pedal for solo boost. It does suck a considerable amount of tone but I was able to dial some of it back in with the global EQ on the GT-8. One nice feature is being able to use the acoustic simulator on the GT-8 and having it change the channel on my Soldano to the clean channel at the same time.

The really messed up thing about it though is how GREAT the GT-8 amp models sound. Almost made me want to use the SLO as a power amp only!!
                I will say this with 100% certainty. The Vetta SMOKES the GT-8 in every respect except for the amount of effects.
                I will also say that having a GT-8 is great if you are into Boss pedals because this sucker has just about every one ever made.
                ************ Dont pass up an opportunity to just plug the GT-8
                straight into the front panel jack, but coming from a BBE sonic maximizer!
                IMO the boost and phasing done with the BBE keeps all of the hi fi
                sound intact from the Boss Gt-8. Why im searching for a more smokin
                hot guitar sound, i dont know!! I already have a great tone, but im
                always thinking the grass is greener"...

Comment

4 cable? i've got a gt-8 but only use the guitar in and l-out. i don't have any outboard so i don't currently use the loop i/o.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The 4 cable method allows you to run the Gt8's amp models, etc. straight to the power amp section of your amp via the effects loop. It allows you to run the Gt8 in the effects loop using your amps preamp and the GT8 as an effect/multi effect pedal. Which is kewl. That and the ability to move the Gt's effects loop anywhere in the chain are some of the best features along with the ext amp switching capabilities.
                    sigpic

Comment

They are two different animals... one is a guitar head with effects, the other is a pedal. I think when you compare it to a Pod XTL, the GT8 wins pretty handily. Either are good units though.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                        They are two different animals... one is a guitar head with effects, the other is a pedal. I think when you compare it to a Pod XTL, the GT8 wins pretty handily. Either are good units though.

Pete
                        Yea I agree. The GT-8 smokes the XTL

Comment

Good luck with your GT 8 man.

Comment

John - I don't think comparing the Vetta to the GT-8 running through a Soldano is actually a good comparison. Try running the GT-8 into a high quality power and a pair of 4x12's and/or a PA. I'm not so sure the Vetta would really win there.

There is a complexity to the tone that the Line 6 stuff lacks. They make up for it with gazillions of models. At this point I find that the Boss stuff is more 3-D and the Line 6 stuff is more 2-D - I am seriously thinking of yanking my PODxt Pro out of my rack because whenever I play my Boss stuff it just sounds more lively.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

yes
                              I don't have any experince with vetta but I'v got a gt8 and when I compare say a marshall modell (thru a tube poweramp) on it with my laney vh100r, I can say that the marshall model on gt8 is on par with the laney.
                              Well I can't tell the quality difference anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X