Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good JSX Lead tone on the Crunch channel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good JSX Lead tone on the Crunch channel?

Dear folks, I love my JSX, but I love the ultra channel as rhythm, can anyone give me some settings for my crunch channel? i've fiddled around with it but I can't seem to find anything that really draws a cutting lead tone from that channel. I figured I could just get a boost pedal and use that on the Ultra channel, but why let a amp channel goto waste? it'd be nice if someone could throw me some helping hands here.

I've found "crunch" channels to be "useless" on a lot of amps. Of course thats my opinion and taste talking, but I rarely find a use for them, it's either ripping gain or crystal clean that I use for metal. Just use an eq for a lead boost.
    Hear the universe scream
    Bleeding from black holes
    Whom horns careless
    And whom God mourns

Comment

What settings are you using now? I forgot to take my footswitch cable to a gig, so I ran mine in crunch channel with boost pedals and it was fine. Turned my volume down on my guitar to clean it up... worked really well.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
        What settings are you using now? I forgot to take my footswitch cable to a gig, so I ran mine in crunch channel with boost pedals and it was fine. Turned my volume down on my guitar to clean it up... worked really well.

Pete
        right now i have it at:

treble 8
        mid 6
        bass 2
        vol 7
        gain 8

but its only cause i was playing around with it previously, so those are probably muddy settings.

Comment

When I was testing it out (now I NEED to own one), I found the crunch sounded way killer with the gain at 4 (with a tubescreamer infront), bass at 6-7, mids at 5-6, treble at 4-5.

Then again, those were almost my settings on the ultra channel. I just set them up for different flavors of rhythm.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3 View Post
            When I was testing it out (now I NEED to own one), I found the crunch sounded way killer with the gain at 4 (with a tubescreamer infront), bass at 6-7, mids at 5-6, treble at 4-5.

Then again, those were almost my settings on the ultra channel. I just set them up for different flavors of rhythm.
            Hahaha to be honest before I started experimenting I had almost the same settings as my ultra channel too! (not listed above)

Comment

Originally posted by paulbag View Post
              I've found "crunch" channels to be "useless" on a lot of amps. Of course thats my opinion and taste talking, but I rarely find a use for them, it's either ripping gain or crystal clean that I use for metal. Just use an eq for a lead boost.
              Wow, I have had the same experience, even my now gone VHT Pittbull CLX 100. I think the crunch channels are great for rock and some hard rock, but I only use the clean channel with a distortion in front or I use the Ultra channels or high gain channels straight up or boosted. Jack.

Comment

Hello,
                I own a JSX and use these settings on the entire amp. I found the Crunch channel to be less noisy then the Ultra channel and use it differently then you do. But both channels can be used for anything you want so you can try out my settings.

Clean
                Lows 5
                mids 5
                highs 6

Crunch
                Lows 6
                mids 4.5
                highs 6.5
                Gain 4. This depends on what I'm playing. Over 5 kinds fuzz's out.
                Fat Switch OFF

Ultra
                Lows 6.5
                mids 5
                Highs 6.5
                Gain 6
                Fat Switch OFF

Global Presence
                It varies as I like it a bit bright so I like 6 or 7 most of the time.

Cab Resonance
                5.5 or 6 after that it gets muddy. Sometimes I back it off to 4.
                I don't like the fat switch ON for Metal or anything I want to try to get a tight tone out of the amp. It seems to sag more when the fat switch is up. It adds more bass but I can do that other ways. Now when I play rock like AC/DC stuff, I like the gain on the crunch channel around 2 and the Fat switch up. EQ stays around the same but I just got it last week so I'm still figuring it out. So far I can get alot of different tones out of it and It really loves the BBE Sonic Maximizer in the effects loop. I also run a BBE GReen Screamer up front in front of the Crunch channel and the clean channel for a shot of boost. The clean and the Screamer sound awesome. Such classic tones I can get. Then again I can really tweak the Crunch channel with it as well.

I played the JSX many times in the stores and left with different opnions. I said fuck it and bought it. I learned so much more by owning it. I also found alot more in it then I thought it had. I knew it was nice but was I wasn't sure If I wanted to own it.

What cab are you using??? I didn't get the JSX cab as I liked other cab's better under it. I still might pick one up for a in home demo .

Dan

Comment

I'm using a Peavey 412MS with Sheffield Black Widows, atleast thats what the sales guy told me, who is probably wrong.

Comment

Usually, I don't like crunch channels either but I do prefer the crunch channel overall on my XXX.
                    I find it to be smoother overall. The EQ must be similar but different btwn the JSX and the XXX. Both are active. Crunch - Hair=8-9, body=4-5, bottom=8. Gain is btwn 5-6. The Ultra is about the same too, setup as a lead channel, gain is bumped up to about 7-8 and the hair is maxed. I think I ran the cab tight out or mid setting, and the global pres about 6-7.

Comment

Working...
                    X