Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... by now you guys probably know im nuts anyway...but
    Its way too uncontrollable for me this way. I would have to drop all
    of my levels down to nearly nothing for this to work... "in my bedroom!
    Since im basically playing for myself, about 4 feet away from the
    1/2 stack, i think my first connection was the best. For you pros who
    are playing and practicing at 10 times the volume...the 4 cable method
    IS probably the best method. But for this old 80's has been, and since
    i dont have a bass player available, i kind of like an overall heavier,
    bass tone. That way for my ear, since im playing solo, i can get a closer
    tone to what is on the record. Which of course would be the entire band
    with studio EQ'ing.
    Ill bore you guys sometime with a video of me playing so you can hear
    the direct Charvel>input of GT-8>output (L/Mono) to BBE sonic maximizer> and into the front of the DSL 2000). This allows me to tweak,
    use the Marshalls presence, and most of all control the volume so the
    Marshall is at 10 oclock, and its not blowing my eardrums out!
    Ive had 4 other friends listen to my overall tone, and they think its
    great, and really heavy, so its not like im thinking i have a great sound
    when its DOD thin. :-)) If i used this 4 cable method, i would have to
    turn everything down in the GT-8 Good god, my levels were 5 times to
    loud with the 4 cable. And without any front Marshall knobs working,
    i could only control my output with the GT-8 which meant that most of
    my patches would have to be at 8 or 9 on the output. I know this is choking off
    most of the hi fidelity. At about (30 level output) imo the GT-8 patches come alive.
    So see it my way, in that im alone in the bedroom, and so i like this
    controllable method, with almost NO hiss, or noise out of the Marshall when im not playing. Seems to work for this shut in' ! Thanks for your
    help though, appreciated.

Comment

You can run 4 cable and regulate the overall volume within the GT8. I'm glad that works for you, but running the GT8 like that is like using a gun as a hammer.

Pete

Comment

Ok...it only takes a couple of minutes to change back, so ill give it a try.
        Maybe with everything turned down to new levels, i will be better off
        with this? I have to admit, 90% of the GT owners use the 4 method.

Comment

you said:
          And without any front Marshall knobs working,
          i could only control my output with the GT-8 which meant that most of
          my patches would have to be at 8 or 9 on the output.

But the thing is, with 4 cable, you should be able to use your marshall's knobs. If not, I suppose you're doing something wrong.

Comment

yea, that sounds like you're bypassing the Marshall's preamp section altogether
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Guitar plugged into GT-8 "Input"... Then i leave the GT out of "Send"
              output" over to the "Front Input of the Marshall".. then i leave out the
              back of the Marshall Effects loop "Send"...back to the GT-8's "Return"..
              and leave the GT-8's "L/Mono output"...back to the "loop" of the Marshall's "Return"... (is this right?)

Comment

this set up is for gt6 but im told its the same for gt8.so substitute gt6 with gt8.1) Connect guitar to GT6 input
                2) Connect cable from "GT6 External Send" to "TSL100 Front input" (i.e. where your guitar normally goes)
                3) Connect cable from "TSL100 FX loop send" to "GT6 External Return"
                4) Connect cable from "GT6 Output (left Mono)" to "TSL100 FX loop return"
                note..substitute tsl100 with the model amp you are using.
                this method is for only running the power section of your amp,ie bypassing the pre amp.volume and presence should be the only knobs to make any change.
                1) Using the marshall for the pre-amp...
                This retains the pre-amp sound that is specific to your amp (in my case, the marshall). Turn the OD/DS on the GT6 to "Custom/External" and Select "external" on the "type variation". Turn the preamp/speaker setting on the GT6 to "off". On your amp, set your gain and volume as you normally would (for your own sound). Set the drive and level knobs on the GT6 OD/DS to about 50%. If you have an FX level pot on your amp (like on the marshall) set it to max (i.e. wet sound). This means that 100% of the sound coming out of your amp is being passed through the GT6. (Any less and you will get a mix of the GT6 effects and the straight sound thru the amp). Under normal circumstances, the GT6 is now a glorified FX box. i.e. the amp modelling is disabled and you're using the sound of your real pre-amp.

2) Using the GT6 for the pre-amp...
                This uses the pre-amp sounds that are specific to the GT6. Turn the OD/DS on the GT6 to any setting except "external" (even "off" if you so wish). Turn the preamp/speaker setting on the GT6 to the desired amp emulation. Your "real" pre-amp is now completely bypassed, as are your "real amp" volume and tone controls. The FX level pot on your amp (like on the marshall) should be set to max (i.e. wet sound) as the only sound which will be coming thru your amps speakers is being "made" by the GT6. Your real amps pre-amp is being completely bypassed. Under these circumstances, the GT6 is being used to full effect, i.e. the amp modelling is enabled and you're using the sound of the GT6 instead of the real pre-amp. This may seem pointless if your real amp is a lovely expensive one, but it does mean you can get more sounds!!!
                hope this helps in some small way
                my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

robert
                  tell me if you have (besides the effects loop ins and outs) any preamp out and poweramp in sockets at the back.
                  In fact, it's not a bad idea to tell us the ins and outs at the back of your unit.
                  I did a similar thing with my laney (using the effects loop section) that didn't work but when I used the preamp out and poweramp in sockets, it worked.

What you could do is to take a photo of the back with your wires connected for us to have a look.
                  If you goto laney website and have a look at the laney vh100r manual, you'll see a page where there's a diagram of it's back. Have a look and compare it to your marshall.
                  I DO NOT use the effect loop ins and outs on my laney. I ONLY use the to sockets that are the preamp out and poweramp in, which are located in the middle of the back.
                  You need to find the equivalents of those on your unit.
                  Last edited by ilbianconero; 03-21-2007, 02:02 PM.

Comment

There are no absolutes. Every amp is different. Going direct in will work better for some, not for others. Try it with the different connection methods and input settings. See what works best for you.

Comment

Will do! Man, you guys are the BEST! Everyone is busy, but i REALLY
                      APPRECIATE the time taken on this! I'll take a pic... and try this new
                      way. I think i crossed up the last equation. I did 3 of the 4 right.
                      Maybe thats why i could not controll the volume at all? Once again..
                      Cudos to all of you!

Comment

Ugh.....i got TONE!!!!!!!!!! Whew.. now i see what all the fuss was about! Having 2 preamps sure is fun. Now im starting to see just how
                        varible this GT-8 can be? Tweakin heaven. I now have sparkling clarity,
                        and rip your face off edge. Thanks so much for straighten this newb out.
                        My old way was good, but now i realize just how "muddy" it was.
                        I hear everything now, and ive managed to get my volume in check.
                        Although it aint easy! Does this mean that the Power section of my
                        DSL 2000 50 wt is at 100%? Nothing works on the front of my Marshall...
                        but thats ok! I just want to be sure that im not going totally Solid State? It doesnt sound like it, as i have a lot feeling when i bend a note.
                        That "smoking, almost like the match has been lit! Ok..enough big words.. Time to get it ON! And as for everyone in this thread....

Comment

Originally posted by ilbianconero View Post
                          robert
                          tell me if you have (besides the effects loop ins and outs) any preamp out and poweramp in sockets at the back.
                          In fact, it's not a bad idea to tell us the ins and outs at the back of your unit.
                          I did a similar thing with my laney (using the effects loop section) that didn't work but when I used the preamp out and poweramp in sockets, it worked.

What you could do is to take a photo of the back with your wires connected for us to have a look.
                          If you goto laney website and have a look at the laney vh100r manual, you'll see a page where there's a diagram of it's back. Have a look and compare it to your marshall.
                          I DO NOT use the effect loop ins and outs on my laney. I ONLY use the to sockets that are the preamp out and poweramp in, which are located in the middle of the back.
                          You need to find the equivalents of those on your unit.
                          No Preamp outs... just the footswitch pair, and the "Send and Return"..
                          Thats it. Its the DSL-2000 50wt Dual Super Lead. 1 front input.
                          I'll take a pic of the back. Right now, it sounds great, i just have NO
                          Marshall Front panel control. Its all in the Boss GT. Front is dead on
                          the Marshall. Maybe i missed something?

Comment

Originally posted by dinky kustom View Post
                            this set up is for gt6 but im told its the same for gt8.so substitute gt6 with gt8.1) Connect guitar to GT6 input
                            2) Connect cable from "GT6 External Send" to "TSL100 Front input" (i.e. where your guitar normally goes)
                            3) Connect cable from "TSL100 FX loop send" to "GT6 External Return"
                            4) Connect cable from "GT6 Output (left Mono)" to "TSL100 FX loop return"
                            note..substitute tsl100 with the model amp you are using.
                            this method is for only running the power section of your amp,ie bypassing the pre amp.volume and presence should be the only knobs to make any change.
                            1) Using the marshall for the pre-amp...
                            This retains the pre-amp sound that is specific to your amp (in my case, the marshall). Turn the OD/DS on the GT6 to "Custom/External" and Select "external" on the "type variation". Turn the preamp/speaker setting on the GT6 to "off". On your amp, set your gain and volume as you normally would (for your own sound). Set the drive and level knobs on the GT6 OD/DS to about 50%. If you have an FX level pot on your amp (like on the marshall) set it to max (i.e. wet sound). This means that 100% of the sound coming out of your amp is being passed through the GT6. (Any less and you will get a mix of the GT6 effects and the straight sound thru the amp). Under normal circumstances, the GT6 is now a glorified FX box. i.e. the amp modelling is disabled and you're using the sound of your real pre-amp.

2) Using the GT6 for the pre-amp...
                            This uses the pre-amp sounds that are specific to the GT6. Turn the OD/DS on the GT6 to any setting except "external" (even "off" if you so wish). Turn the preamp/speaker setting on the GT6 to the desired amp emulation. Your "real" pre-amp is now completely bypassed, as are your "real amp" volume and tone controls. The FX level pot on your amp (like on the marshall) should be set to max (i.e. wet sound) as the only sound which will be coming thru your amps speakers is being "made" by the GT6. Your real amps pre-amp is being completely bypassed. Under these circumstances, the GT6 is being used to full effect, i.e. the amp modelling is enabled and you're using the sound of the GT6 instead of the real pre-amp. This may seem pointless if your real amp is a lovely expensive one, but it does mean you can get more sounds!!!
                            hope this helps in some small way
                            I never could find "External" anything in the Distortion/Drive area...
                            (to turn "Off")
                            Maybe this is why i have no Marshall knob control?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              The only time you should plug your GT-8 into the front of your amp is if you don't have an effects loop.
                              The GT-8 works best as:

Direct into the board
                              Stereo into a tube power amp
                              Straight into the effects return on a tube amp

By plugging your GT-8 into the input jack you won't be able to use many of the effects properly and you will also have issues with going through 2 preamps. I also can't see any reason to need a BBE with a GT-8. Its just not at all necessary because the GT-8 has everything the BBE could give you already built into it.
                              Now my BBE doesnt effect the Tone at all! You knew! I guess i
                              can use the BBE when i buy the Line6 POD pro, and use it with my
                              Peavey C200 rack SS amp, into 2 separate 1/12 Celestion G12H's.
                              It should sould great with this set up i think?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                                Thanks...im going from my left/mono output of the GT-8 into a BBE
                                sonic Max stomp pedal (BTW, killer boost!) and then out into the
                                front of the Marshall input, all with Monster cables. I guess im getting
                                about 1/3rd Solid State preamp mixed with the Marshalls tube preamp.
                                Green lit "Classic Gain" channel with about 9 oclock on the gain. 4 on
                                the master volume. Sounds like Godsmack to me! Do you guys know
                                how much i would bennifit from adding a 2nd 4/12 cab? Thereby having
                                a full stack? Is the extra 4 speakers going to provide more mass, and
                                bottom end? Or not allot of difference over the 1/2 stack?
                                Using a second 4X12 will of course give you more mass and more bottom end. It will also raise your speakers up so that their throw is at your ears and not the couch across the room. However if you are already worried about being too loud playing by yourself in your bedroom, this may NOT be what you want. What you CAN do is to elevate your 4X12 higher so that the throw is more direct towards your head. I know several guys who set their cabinets on top of their flight cases for their heads for this reason.

Ideally, for me anyways, if I were to be running a GT8 in a fixed location I would run it through a good stereo power amp, like a VHT, and send the signal(s) to two 4X12's spaced at different sides of the room. That way you can get all your stereo effects with a decent stereo field. Smoke a joint, crank that baby up and see where it gets you!

Comment

Working...
                                X