Ok; explain this to me, will ya? If i plug my GT-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok; explain this to me, will ya? If i plug my GT-8

Straight into the front panel input jack, isnt this running all of the GT effects "THROUGH" the Marshall power amp, AND Preamp? I dont see
    what i would be gaining using the 4 cable method? Im still getting all the
    Marshall mojo just with the GT-8 goodies thrown in, right?
    Or am i bypassing something? I just have the DSL 2000 50wt mono, with
    4/12 cab. (1/2 stack). I also own a Peavey CS 200 stereo rack mt
    amp with 110watts x 2. I was thinking this would be a good set up for
    the PODxt pro im going to get, with the Roland GS20 also. I have 2 separate Genz-benz single 12" cabs, each with 1 Celestion G12H inside.
    This should be a great stereo set up for the POD, yes? Then i would
    just keep the Boss GT-8 strickly for the 1/2 stack marshall.
    But straighten me out on this effects loop 4 wire setup, opposed to
    just leaving the GT -8 going into a BBE sonic maximizer, and then into
    the front input. Right now, it sounds insane this way!

Some people use their amps for power only?
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
      Exactly.

But if you plug straight into the front of the Marshall, the Marshall's preamp tone controls will still be active and you will be able to use them in conjunction with your GT-8's tone controls. Do whatever works and sounds best to you.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Opeth do. The guitarist/lead singer (forget what his name is) plugs a GT-8 into the clean of laney amps or some all-tube 150 Watt amp.
        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
          Opeth do. The guitarist/lead singer (forget what his name is) plugs a GT-8 into the clean of laney amps or some all-tube 150 Watt amp.
          Plugging into the input of an amp is not using the amp as a power amp only. Plugging into the effects loop utilizes only the power section.

Comment

I think Sinistas meant to ask "using amps for ampifying a pedal's sound only"
            Sam

Comment

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood your comment. I thought you were saying Opeth plugs into the clean channel.

Comment

Thanks...im going from my left/mono output of the GT-8 into a BBE
                sonic Max stomp pedal (BTW, killer boost!) and then out into the
                front of the Marshall input, all with Monster cables. I guess im getting
                about 1/3rd Solid State preamp mixed with the Marshalls tube preamp.
                Green lit "Classic Gain" channel with about 9 oclock on the gain. 4 on
                the master volume. Sounds like Godsmack to me! Do you guys know
                how much i would bennifit from adding a 2nd 4/12 cab? Thereby having
                a full stack? Is the extra 4 speakers going to provide more mass, and
                bottom end? Or not allot of difference over the 1/2 stack?

Comment

one thing nobody bothered to mention is that while you can run the GT-8 directly into your amp, all of the effects will be before your preamp. Fine if you would normally run your chorus, delay, reverb, etc pedals between your guitar and amp.

The 4 cable method allows you to run some effects before the preamp, (like overdrive, wah, distortion & whatnot) with other effects after the preamp (ie. in the loop, like your time-based effects, chorus, etc)

Try both and see which best suits your purposes.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    one thing nobody bothered to mention is that while you can run the GT-8 directly into your amp, all of the effects will be before your preamp. Fine if you would normally run your chorus, delay, reverb, etc pedals between your guitar and amp.

The 4 cable method allows you to run some effects before the preamp, (like overdrive, wah, distortion & whatnot) with other effects after the preamp (ie. in the loop, like your time-based effects, chorus, etc)

Try both and see which best suits your purposes.

Exactly.
                    Plus with the 4 cable, you have the option of using gt8's preamps or you marshall's preamp section one at a time.
                    I mean if you plug directly to the front, then you can switch off the gt8's preamp and use your marshall's but what if you wanted to ONLY use one of the preamp models on the gt8 together with the marshall's power amp (by passing the marshall's preamp)?

Can only do that (plus having all the other options) with the 4 cable.

Comment

The only time you should plug your GT-8 into the front of your amp is if you don't have an effects loop.
                      The GT-8 works best as:

Direct into the board
                      Stereo into a tube power amp
                      Straight into the effects return on a tube amp

By plugging your GT-8 into the input jack you won't be able to use many of the effects properly and you will also have issues with going through 2 preamps. I also can't see any reason to need a BBE with a GT-8. Its just not at all necessary because the GT-8 has everything the BBE could give you already built into it.

Comment

+1.. on the last 3 posts
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh yea.. for ultimate versatility.. the 4 cable method is totally awesome.

Comment

+ 1 on last 4 posts
                            my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                              I think Sinistas meant to ask "using amps for ampifying a pedal's sound only"
                              Toe had what I was getting at. I do that with the XTL into the Powerblock, bypassing the preamp completely.
                              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                              X