JSX. But not like the others....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSX. But not like the others....

So I played the jsx and had to have one, started saving. I see a killer price on one a few weeks later and put money on it the next day, after playing it again of course. The guy I got to serve me was apparently a bass player. I always get them at music shops for some reason. I get a call from the manager last wednesday and he was trying to see when I would be picking up the amp for some lame reason, 'we got a guy here who wants one right away and we have more stock coming in next week'. Suss. So I thought the jig was up, I better go in and get it the next day.

Retail in aus is 2995, their cash price is 2399, but had it stickered at 1799. Apparently it was a cash price for the head, when bought with the cab. Oh, and they couldn't be split. Or put on hold. They were not happy at all when I went in to pick it up! Its 30 bucks above cost!

And the whole 'guy wants one now thing' swap dealie...

hey that looks like...

Joe signed these when he brought G3 out december last year. Theres a few around the traps, many claim to be used by joe on the tour. I dunno if this one was or if they all were or if its bs. Really, its just even more coolness added to a killer deal!! The cab was signed too but I couldnt afford it (or want it really), and the pair being split ruffled many feathers, and especially at this price! One guy actually said half joking 'and we see this go up on ebay were comin after ya'. My balls son! my balls...

Anyways its totally blowing me away. I can get it to sound fantastic even at really low volumes! I've got heaps of questions to ask about using it too, but ill play some more and ask later.

sweeeeeeet! Nice score, man
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Excellent Score!!!! What they were Rreally saying was you better not take this because we were going to put both of them up on ebay!! Joe signed and played them in concert-one of a kind!!! $10,000.00

Comment

Excellent score my man...

Comment

Nice, if you want to keep that sig, you may want to seal it with something.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Nice score, damn these heads are calling my name,
            I just don't know if I want to part with my 5150 or not.
            Can you get the 5150 type of balls out of one of these things?
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

beauty! thats a killer story Bro!

Comment

Nice mate!

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                  Nice score, damn these heads are calling my name,
                  I just don't know if I want to part with my 5150 or not.
                  Can you get the 5150 type of balls out of one of these things?

Coming from a long, long time 5150 lover who just sold his for a JSX...

With the same axe and cab, 6L6's in the power section, and an OD upfront, you can get as close as I care to without actually owning the amp. Close enough for me not to miss the thing!

It doesn't quite have the top end grind of the 5150, but it's tighter and way more responsive.

Comment

The JSX and XXX are descendents of the Ultra series of Peavey amps which are known for their "overly Bright" sound. I've owned a XXX and I can tell you, it took me a OD pedal and EQ in front of the amp to tame its bright sound. I was playing a basswood body guitar with a Dimarzio D-sonic. so it wasnt the guitar. After only 1 month, I said good bye to it. I've played on the JSX at GC only and it did sound bright. Listen to Joe playing...

My 5150 has a tone no where similar sounding to either. Its got the low-end that neither of these amps could reproduce. Its a dark sounding amp. The gain is so thick and rich, I wish the XXX could have even 1/2 the "thickness".
                    Sam

Comment

The JSX doesn't have that harsh/brittle/scratchy top end that the XXX does, and it's much, much thicker.

Through a proper cabinet, the thing absolutely crushes.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                        The JSX and XXX are descendents of the Ultra series of Peavey amps which are known for their "overly Bright" sound. I've owned a XXX and I can tell you, it took me a OD pedal and EQ in front of the amp to tame its bright sound. I was playing a basswood body guitar with a Dimarzio D-sonic. so it wasnt the guitar. After only 1 month, I said good bye to it. I've played on the JSX at GC only and it did sound bright. Listen to Joe playing...

My 5150 has a tone no where similar sounding to either. Its got the low-end that neither of these amps could reproduce. Its a dark sounding amp. The gain is so thick and rich, I wish the XXX could have even 1/2 the "thickness".
                        Gotta disagree, a properly tuned in JSX has tight, percussive low end and clear highs. I don't care much for the XXX, but I love my JSX.

Pete

Comment

then maybe its just the XXX. The damn thing depreciated $150 in 1 month.
                          Sam

Comment

thanks guys!

I agree with all that, I tried out a xxx years ago, along side a 5150. XXX was very harsh, 5150 was crazy. Neither were 'me'. The JSX tho' just screams. Its funny, I sound closer to the nevermore/swede sound on this then dr/5150. Its just easier for me to dial in a nice big fat heavy tone. treble/bass presence/resonance set with extreme fidelity, and mid/gain with extreme prejudice

Comment

you got to love the on-board noise reduction knob too do you think it kills the sustain? do you ever use it?
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X