I've had it with my marshall ... looking for new amp advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had it with my marshall ... looking for new amp advice

So I think Im just done with marshall amps for a while, at least until I have the cash to drop on a hand wired.

My first marshall, a 100w valvestate 1x12, was a total pile of shit. After about an hour of use it would start to hum, loudly, unless I turned the reverb off. I never figured out what the problem was with it, three different techs couldn't replicate the problem let alone fix it.

The current amp, a DSL 401 combo, is just as big a pile of shit as the last one. Apparently the DSL combo amps are notorious for overheating problems that destroy the electronics over time, commonly the rectifier diode. I bought it used for $600 +tx and have already dropped $250 into it for repairs related to this problem. I might as well have bought a new one!

With that said, Im selling the DSL and looking for a replacement, but there's just so many options out there.

So far I've been researching the Traynor YCV50, Carvin Nomad, and Crate V32 Palomino. Most of what I play is 70's and 80's hard rock and metal; Zeppelin, AC/DC, UFO, MSG, Cinderella, Ozzy, so Im not really looking for a gain monster.

Any suggestions? I know the best answer is to just go play some amps myself, but Im 45 miles from the nearest GC or Sam Ash, and the local shops carry a very limited selection, mostly marshall. Any ideas or suggestions to help me narrow down the field would be greatly appreciated.

later,

Steve
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Was just reading about this amp in GW. Seems good for your stuff. No hands on experience with it tho. I am always looking for a "high-gain" amp and have landed on a 5150 myself. but check this out.

http://www.fender.com/products/supersonic/

also how about VOX?

cheers
    Sam

Comment

What price range

Comment

get a used Vetta off ebay.
        you'll have every tone you ever want.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Do you play in a band too?
          Anyway, I suggest you to try some real marshall before bashing it. New marshall have quality control issues and they are built like shit but for the kind of music you described a nice boosted plexi or jcm 800 would be great. If you're lucky enough you could score a nice used one. Orange would take you in that territory you, but they are kinda expensive. Check out the Orange Tiny Terror though, 15w class A all tube head.

Comment

If you like Marshall try either an Orange Tiny Terror as suggested above or track a used higher end model down.

Comment

Dude get the Carvin Nomad and look for one used with the hasserl MOD done to it you wont regret it. You may be able to find one at carvin museum.com... I enjoy my vintage 16 with that MOD.... You can get awesome tones with or without a pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                Dude get the Carvin Nomad and look for one used with the hasserl MOD done to it you wont regret it. You may be able to find one at carvin museum.com... I enjoy my vintage 16 with that MOD.... You can get awesome tones with or without a pedal.
                I've almost pulled the trigger on one of those vintage 16s so many times. How much gain do they have? How much clean headroom does it really have?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor View Post
                  Anyway, I suggest you to try some real marshall before bashing it.
                  +1

You seemed to pick the lemons of the bunch:ROTF:

I have had a DSL100 1/2 stack since 1998 without problems.

I also have quite a few Micro Stacks from the 80's. Other than the crappy pots that are always scratchy with these, these amps are dynamos.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but research it for issues before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                    If you like Marshall try either an Orange Tiny Terror as suggested above or track a used higher end model down.
                    Yeah, I've heard about them, but orange amps are just so damn expensive.

-----------
                    Originally posted by Mordor View Post
                    Do you play in a band too?
                    Anyway, I suggest you to try some real marshall before bashing it. New marshall have quality control issues and they are built like shit but for the kind of music you described a nice boosted plexi or jcm 800 would be great. If you're lucky enough you could score a nice used one. Orange would take you in that territory you, but they are kinda expensive. Check out the Orange Tiny Terror though, 15w class A all tube head.
                    No, I dont have the time for a band right now. I put in 55+ hours a week at work consistently, plus 6 to 8 hours a week of practice and I take music lessons on the weekends. The time for a band came and went when I was a teenager. Maybe when my wife finishes school I can afford to cut down the OT.

As far as "Marshall" the brand goes, no I haven't written them off or bashed their entire product line. But you said it yourself, they're built like shit, and IMO they have more than a few QC "issues". That said I'd like a plexi or JCM800, but you need to crank them to really get that sweet marshall tone, and thats just not an option where I live.

I may take a drive to GC tomorrow and check out the palomino V32, I really liked the V8 I had for a while; if I'd known better I would have kept that and bought a 12" extension cab for it.

My max price is around $700. But I dont NEED to spend all $700
                    Guitars:
                    Amp:
                    VOX AD30VT

Comment

The Tiny Terror is about $600 IIRC.

EDIT: Might want to give a Peavey Windsor a spin too.

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
                        So I think Im just done with marshall amps for a while, at least until I have the cash to drop on a hand wired.

My first marshall, a 100w valvestate 1x12, was a total pile of shit. After about an hour of use it would start to hum, loudly, unless I turned the reverb off. I never figured out what the problem was with it, three different techs couldn't replicate the problem let alone fix it.

The current amp, a DSL 401 combo, is just as big a pile of shit as the last one. Apparently the DSL combo amps are notorious for overheating problems that destroy the electronics over time, commonly the rectifier diode. I bought it used for $600 +tx and have already dropped $250 into it for repairs related to this problem. I might as well have bought a new one!

With that said, Im selling the DSL and looking for a replacement, but there's just so many options out there.

So far I've been researching the Traynor YCV50, Carvin Nomad, and Crate V32 Palomino. Most of what I play is 70's and 80's hard rock and metal; Zeppelin, AC/DC, UFO, MSG, Cinderella, Ozzy, so Im not really looking for a gain monster.

Any suggestions? I know the best answer is to just go play some amps myself, but Im 45 miles from the nearest GC or Sam Ash, and the local shops carry a very limited selection, mostly marshall. Any ideas or suggestions to help me narrow down the field would be greatly appreciated.

later,

Steve
                        You seem to like Combo amps...so please DO check out Fenders white
                        limited addition Twin. I think its the twin? Snow white tolex... only 800
                        made total production. Pure tube amp $700.00 Its near perfect and sound like Stevie
                        Ray is playing next to you cranked! Shimmering clean, and great blues
                        bark. All around outstanding tone imo

Comment

I used to have a Soldano Astroverb 1x12 combo and it sounded great for those kinds of tones. Picked it up for $600 used in totally mint condition. It uses 2x EL84's for power (~20 watts) so it CAN get sort of loud but it doesn't have to be very loud to sound good. I'd have kept it if I weren't poor.

Right now I'm looking at buying myself a Peavey Valveking 1x12 because it's cheaper and more versatile.

Comment

I got my Tiny Terror for under $500. It's kick ass.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                              You seem to like Combo amps...so please DO check out Fenders white
                              limited addition Twin. I think its the twin? Snow white tolex... only 800
                              made total production. Pure tube amp $700.00 Its near perfect and sound like Stevie
                              Ray is playing next to you cranked! Shimmering clean, and great blues
                              bark. All around outstanding tone imo
                              Cool, I'll be sure to check it out

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                              I used to have a Soldano Astroverb 1x12 combo and it sounded great for those kinds of tones. Picked it up for $600 used in totally mint condition. It uses 2x EL84's for power (~20 watts) so it CAN get sort of loud but it doesn't have to be very loud to sound good. I'd have kept it if I weren't poor.

Right now I'm looking at buying myself a Peavey Valveking 1x12 because it's cheaper and more versatile.
                              I've heard good and bad about the PVK, but most people that have 'em like 'em. The sound clips I found are pretty good too, i'll have to look at that a little more.

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              I got my Tiny Terror for under $500. It's kick ass.
                              Im trying to stay away from single channel amps, not that there's anything wrong with them, I just need a little more versatility since it will be my only amp.
                              Guitars:
                              Amp:
                              VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
                              X