No announcement yet.

I've had it with my marshall ... looking for new amp advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had similar bad luck with Marshalls ever since the 900 series came out. Hence I've switched to Mesa for my main rig. If you're looking to get into a tube amp I suggest the Traynors. I've played all the models except the YCV80 and I think that they're the best bang for the buck. They also come with a 10 year unlimited warranty. The dealer told me that they don't care if it falls off the back of a truck. They'll either fix it or replace it no questions asked. If you're looking for a Marshall type tone then I suggest the blue YCV50. It smokes most Marshalls I've played. I wouldn't waste my time or money on one of the handwired Marshalls either. The local dealer told me the other day that a guy locally bought a brand new one and it lasted for only 2 months before going out on him. He's been waiting on it to be repaired since before Thanksgiving......

Comment

I havent read all the replies but dont base you opinion of Marshall on the valvestae and DSL's (in my opinion are PoS). There are plenty of dogs in the Marshall line but I've had great luck with the 2203/2204 in both the JMP firm and JCM 800 flavors. It was all down hill starting with the JCM900.
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

its the same with every damn product out there. The quality just isnt there! I've heard so much bashing about the valvestate, but guess who used them? Chuck shuldiner of death. That modest SOB (RIP chuck!) used a 100 watt valvestate with a simple multi-fx unit in the fx loop and he had a very good tone. So, all products and brands have gone to the drain equally.

Have you tried B-52 or Laney?
        Sam

Comment

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
          That said I'd like a plexi or JCM800, but you need to crank them to really get that sweet marshall tone, and thats just not an option where I live.
          I'd seriously consider shopping for a used Vetta combo. They can be had right around your price range and if good tone at low volumes is a primary consideration you'll have a tough time beating a good modeler. I'd also check out the Vox Valvetronix stuff.
          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I've been playing Marshalls since 89 or so. JCM800 50W head, then since 99 the TSL122. No complains with neither one, the TSL122 still serves me, almost daily. Boogies are somewhat better built, but don't sound like Marshall. I would say it is a choice of the type of sound you like. But if you pissed off with Marshall specifically - by all means, a whole world of amps it out there. Rivera, Soldano, VHT would be ones I'd take a look at.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
              I got my Tiny Terror for under $500. It's kick ass.
              USed, right? Not new?

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
                USed, right? Not new?
                I just looked this little suckers up. There's a place here selling them new for AU$875. Don't know what they sell for in the States, but if they cost that much here, I reckon under US$500 new there is very doable.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  I just looked this little suckers up. There's a place here selling them new for AU$875. Don't know what they sell for in the States, but if they cost that much here, I reckon under US$500 new there is very doable.
                  Don't forget, they are made in Korea.

Comment

I just googled it and found a bunch of places selling them for $549. If you were to work them on the price, under $500 for sure.
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Used Mesa Subway Rocket... killer tone, small package, and you can gig with it! Run around $550 shipped.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                        I've almost pulled the trigger on one of those vintage 16s so many times. How much gain do they have? How much clean headroom does it really have?

Mine sounds great but its been modded....If you get one find one with the hasserl mod already done.. Its not a saldano or bogner gain monster but its great for anything else. You can slam it with a pedal for more balls and it takes it well.... I plan on adding a 2x12 for it and really make it scream.
                        Ive been meaning to put up clips of it here with the modded pedals ive got but when I tracked them I forgot to switch it from 5 watt to 16 and they didnt sound as big ..maybe soon LOL

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
                          USed, right? Not new?
                          new, as in brand spankin'
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Get a Rivera KR100 or a 50watt! They can do it all! 3 channel, hammond long pan reverb, el-34, or 6l6 version! You can use the triode switch for a classic, or new age type sound options that I think kicks ass! You can find one on the bay for about $1200ish for the 100watt version, though I've never looked at a 50watt version. Note that they are loud though!!
                            I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                            X