Cornish SS2 on an SLO-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornish SS2 on an SLO-100

I posted this to another forum but I thought some would have interest in this here. As background, I just got a SS2 for a decent price, decent enough to give me confidence in trying it out with the idea of selling it if it was a no go.

I was told by some SLO owners that the SS2 would be muddy in front of a high gain amp, even on the clean channel. So I asked the man himself and this is what he wrote back:

"Hi,
    I have many clients using my effects into their SLO100s but ALL work
    best into the clean channel and use in the lead channel is not
    recommended.
    No pedals work in the effects loop as the signal level is far too low.
    Best Wishes,
    Pete Cornish"

I decided to give the pedal a try after his response, so now my Cornish report: yes indeed, only usable through the normal channel, clean.

It's a nice pedal. Very smooth and creamy. You can plainly make out the bloom on every note, and it just flows into the next. While not as crisp as the natural SLO sound, I would say it's clean enough a pedal, not muddy. It's best attribute though is how quiet it is. The buffer really took a lot of noise out of the signal. Basically, when you play the Cornish, you hear the notes and that's it. Also, my jazz playing friend that loves my SLO but can't manage to coax out good dark and warm notes out of the amp could definitely find a use in dialing down the tone knob on the Cornish. Almost like playing a tuba.

My disappointment: what would justify a $400+ outlay for a pedal? Answer: Great tone. Something preferable to the amp's natural sound. This Cornish however, though not a completely transparent pedal, doesn't really diverge from the SLO's natural sound too much. That's good and bad. It made the SLO smoother, clipped some of the high end spikes, but in the end, it just seemed like a crutch for hack playing (myself included in that category). The buffer made it truly unique, I liked that part. And perhaps the notes were a bit rounder and warmer, but not enough to justify the price. The volume knob on the pedal was incredibly sensitive which made dialing in a good sound very difficult, since any movement in the volume knob seemed to radically alter the tone.

Oh well, ups on EBAY you go. I'd definitely keep it if it didn't cost so much.
Working...
X