Pedal advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal advice

So I just bought the new Randall Lynch box (killer by the way), and i'm just wondering what you guys think are the best analog pedals to grab. I'm really only interested in a reverb and a delay, possibly a noise reduction type pedal. I've only got Boss stuff and it's mostly digital and doesn't sound good with this amp, especially on a stage. Thanks!

try an akai headrush delay pedal....i dont know if its analog or not but it sounds awesome

Comment

"The Akai Headrush is the first effects pedal offering a high quality sound delay, tape echo simulator and a looping recorder in one. User selectable delay options allow for maximum control of signal output and include several timing and level adjustment selections as well as the feedback level for repeats. Headrush also simulates an analog tape echo machine, providing four tape-head parallel outputs for amplifier or mixer input, while the looping recorder with overdub mode is a powerful tool for the solo musician. Headrush features left and right foot switch controls and LED display. Depending upon which mode is selected, the left switch controls the on/off and play/stop functions, while the right side sets desired delay time, recording and overdub options. The LED display indicates which effect in use and blinks in time showing the delay time selected."

More info http://www.kellyindustries.com/guita..._headrush.html
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks guys...

Comment

I had an RM100 (same thing as your Lynch Box without the green tolex).

The best chorus I could find for that was the MXR Stereo Chorus (newer yellow pedal). It was fantastic with that rig.

The best delay I had in that rig was the Boss DD-20.

No reverb pedal I tried sounded good with that amp. I had the Boss, Digitech, and the Holy Grail. They sounded like butt with that amp. Actually, all but the Holy Grail sounded like butt period. For reverb you will need to run a decent rack unit in the loop.

BTW, most pedals won't work with that loop. It is line level only and most pedals suck ass in that situation. One notable exception is the DD-20 because it can operate at line level - although I always ran mine in front of the amp.

BTW, the Brown module is really great.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Thanks Tim, I was considering the Grail and i'm gonna grab the brown module because I only want one of the Lynch modules.

Comment

One of my amps is a Randall RM100. I use the Guyatone MD3 Delay. Its true bypass, has lots of delay, its small, and costs about $100 new. I tried the Holy Grail for reverb but that didn't work out too well so I bought the T-Rex Room Mate which is awesome! Its expensive however. For Chorus/Flange I use the Fulltone Choralflange which is also awesome but pricey.
              BTW daisp, I believe Tim was reffering to the Holy Grail reverb from Electroharmonix while you are thinking of the Grail MTS preamp module from Randall. Not the same thing. That Randall head is pretty cool and even though I really only use a couple main modules, I ended up collecting most of the others. Its addicting My favorite is the XTC module. I have Brown as well but I didn't think it had enough gain and didn't sound exactly "Brown" to me. I keep it regardless.
              Enjoy that Lynch Box

Rudy
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

I was referring to the Holy Grail reverb pedal. It sounded like butt with the RM head.

I had the Fulltone ChoralFlange as well Rudy but I did not like it much with the RM100 - it was really bad with any sort of overdriven tones - the Fulltone is too "lush" for that amp. The MXR worked much better.

I had almost every MTS module - despite it's popularity I thought the Vox one was lame. I really liked the 1086 module - I think two of those and a Blackface would be sweet.

- Newc

Comment

I knew what you were talking about but thanks for the clairification, I did grab the blackface and it does sound nice for clean stuff, also thanks to Roody, i'll check out the XTC brother!

Comment

I use the XTC as my main distortion sound and Blackface for the cleans. In the third channel I go back and forth between the Mr. Scary and the 1086.
                    Tim, the lamest module so far for me I would say is the Ultra Lead. It just sounds weak despite what the name says. The Vox one wasn't too bad but I only used it a little bit, mainly smacking it with a Fulltone OCD. My Choralflange sounds fine with the Randall and I even run it in the serial loop. I have an old MXR chorus that does sound great but the MXR stuff is just too noisy, My bass player uses it now
                    daisp, you'll have fun with this amp. If you're like the rest of us, you won't be able to stop at just a couple modules

Rudy
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Rudy - the MXR I used is one of the new ones - it doesn't have any of the noise issues of the older ones. The sound I tend to go for with chorus pedals is along the lines of some of Alex Lifeson's sounds and I think the MXR was better at that than the Fulltone. I have since sold both pedals - I miss them - sniff. I may have to snag an MXR again - I really loved that pedal.

- Newc

Comment

Oh, and agreed on the Ultra Lead. The SL+ was nothing special either. The XTC was cool even thought it didn't sound like a Bogner (not that I was expecting a $129 module to sound like a $3200 amp).

- Newc

Comment

Thanks fellas, i'm gonna check out a bunch of them...

Comment

I have seen two different version of the Lynch Box. The one has the Lynch logo, and comes with one module I think. The other version has a Randall logo, and has no modules included at all. Is that right?
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                              I have seen two different version of the Lynch Box. The one has the Lynch logo, and comes with one module I think. The other version has a Randall logo, and has no modules included at all. Is that right?
                              I dunno. The one I checked out at NAMM had the Lynch logo but almost every actual production one I've seen has the Randall logo. Either way it doesn't matter, there is no difference in the head itself vs. a stock RM100 - you just pay $100 more for George's cut and the green tolex.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X