"Versatile" pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Versatile" pickups

With the amount of gain available in amps today, should I bother getting "high gain" pickups?

I've a new guitar that's HSH and I'd like to get halfway decent cleans for jazz stuff in addition to distorted tones for rock and metal. I'm thinking maybe something middle of the road like Dimarzio PAF Pro's and an HS2 might be good. Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations? I'd prefer to stick with DiMarzio or SD

Seymour Duncan JBs are good from everything to Rock to Hair Metal to Blues. Gibson 498Ts are pretty good all around pickups too.

Comment

Perhaps DiMarzio PAFs?

Comment

Dimarzio's are pretty cool pickups. Super distortions are pretty cool, not quite as much output as the JB, and better sounding to my ears.
        Guitars:
        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

i'm digging the duncan custom custom.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

DiMarzio Super 3... great pickup.
            I also like the SD Custom Custom as well. Sounds great in a basswood body guitar.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
              With the amount of gain available in amps today, should I bother getting "high gain" pickups?
              No. A set of '59s, Pearly Gates, any PAF-type pickup will do fine with today's high gain amps.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Rock on that's what I figured. Looks like pink dimarzio PAF's it is

Comment

Originally posted by nonamemx View Post
                  Perhaps DiMarzio PAFs?
                  yes, or paf pro will be fine
                  my kids go without food so i can collect guitars

Comment

One of my favorite medium gain pickups is the Duncan Full Shred - gives you an open "Lynch-esque" sound, but it isn't that horrible Screamin' Demon. It actually sounds good.

Comment

Super Dist. Or PAF, almost any when run through a clean channel even a X2N sounds like a Firebird pickup through a clean amp.

Comment

Dimarzio PAF PRO- sounds good with tube or modeling amps. It also deals with long chains of effects very well, staying articulate.

Comment

Working...
                        X