No announcement yet.

How's the noise on current Peavey amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's the noise on current Peavey amps?

My honeymoon with ART gear seems to be nearing its end, for live purposes anyway. Too many reliability issues to make gigging without a backup possible. That puts me back in the situation of needing to pick up a cheap head in the next month or two. I have been able to try a few Peaveys locally, but not at loud volumes, which makes it difficult for me to get a feel for what kind of noise they are kicking out with high gain. The main reason I'm sticking with Peavey is that I have used them for so long that I know what tones they provide. On top of that, the only affordable amps to be found around here are the usual Marshall and Crate cheapies. Not interested.

Here are the amps I am considering:

- TransTube XXL
    - Valve King
    - Classic 30 (with boost)

I am also curious about the JSX, although that would have to wait until later in the year. Is the built-in noise gate really very useful, or is it just to handle worse-than-normal noise from the amp? I've heard that the first batch of JSXs were really "hissy" and pretty much required a gate to be any good. I'd like to get an amp that doesn't require any additional hardware beyond an effects unit in the loop. A footswitchable loop is of no use to me if I can't turn it off between solos due to needing a gate there.
    sigpic

I've played a new Valveking and a new JSX recently and neither of them were noisy

Comment

XXL was only good at lower volume...It couldn't compete with our drummer at all...Steve tried to make it work but...It would get so harsh and squeal at high (Drummer) volume.

My XXX is great...I play with it live all the time and our music has a lot of gain and stops...I do use a gate mind you. But, I wouldn't need it if it was just my guitar and amp. I only need it when I run effects with it.

I'm sure the JSX is even better.

I really wouldn't bother with the XXL...I have used and abused my XXX so much...I even have the original tubes...Just changed them for the hell of it.

Never heard the Valve King but...I have heard of issues regarding quality already...

Just get a used XXX...Tough, decent price and versatile.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

There is some hiss present in the JSX, but it isn't too bad. Definitely less than a 6505/6505+. I play mine very often at very high volume withoug using the gate and never had an issue. Then again, I don't run the pre much past noon.

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
          There is some hiss present in the JSX, but it isn't too bad. Definitely less than a 6505/6505+. I play mine very often at very high volume withoug using the gate and never had an issue. Then again, I don't run the pre much past noon.
          yes..exactly!!..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I think the JSX is very noisy. I own one and I have to run the noise gate around 7 to make it all go away. This is using the Ultra channel. The Clean and Crunch are not a problem. The amp sags and drags though but for my new song, it works.

Comment

Yeah, but you're the dude who loves Krank!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post

Surprisingly enough, they're some of the quietest amps, hiss/hum wise, that I've ever played. You almost have to double check to make sure the light is on before playing.

Comment

I've had quite a few Peavey's mostly 5150's, 5150II's and Triple X's. They all had some noise..probably like what your thinking?
                  Just for kicks, I tried out a Windsor. I figured WTF....$350, maybe for beater and some "weird science experimenets at home". It was pretty impressive. Like they could have sold it for twice the price and people would still be thrilled! Quite, nice bite, very plexi. I have a Mojave Peacemaker and truth be told it sounded like that.

I was just going to keep it and play it. Then I started getting radio station-like sounds on it and it went all haywire..like huge static...so back it went. I'll buy another one when I get some time to goof off.

Comment

The JSX and XXX are unfortunately out of my price range at the moment. I'd love to own one of the two or something comparable, but our gigging schedule is so light that I can't justify the price of a new $1000+ amp, and my last few used purchases have not gone very well. I was actually hoping to read some good reviews of a Rocktron VH160R (built-in gate), but the only review I've found so far was overwhelmingly bad.

Noise isn't THE deciding factor for me, but playing small stages in small clubs means that I'll be standing close to my amp, and the stage lights will be pretty close too. Since my pedal setup has generally worked well, I think I'll go with the "known quantity" and either get another Peavey Classic tube power amp, or maybe a Classic 30 head, and keep on using pedals with a Hush.
                    sigpic

Comment

All hi gain amps are going to get noise...The built in gate (XXX and JSX) helps a great deal...My XXX does not feedback playing mid gain hard rock stuff at jam volume...So, if yours does than you might have a bad pre amp tube. I run EMG 81s at 18 Volts. Only gets noisy playing in metal territory.

As far as the Kranks being quiet...Yup...and from what I have heard with my own ears...The quieter...the better!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Um ok and what does that have to do with the JSX being Noisy?? I own it actually I own both the Krank Rev 1 and the JSX. The JSX is much noiser. The Krank is very quite at any gain setting. The JSX is pretty good under clean and crunch but when you go to the Ultra channel you get alot of noise. I have to dial the Noise gate to 6 or more to quite the bastard up. It's a good head and very versitle. It's also saggy. It has it's own built in echo. When you stop playing on the Ultra channel, the amp decides it needs to echo a bit.
                        It's annoying.

Comment

My Uber's gain is always maxed..without my G Major's noise gate, that fucker is noisy as shit!!

It's the nature of the beast I guess..but it sounds KILLER!

I thought the JSX was a little quieter than my Uberschall..but I didn't have it even close to the volume I play at...so.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                            When you stop playing on the Ultra channel, the amp decides it needs to echo a bit.
                            It's annoying.
                            Bad preamp tube possibly, or your guitar is resonating. Could be a resonance at a frequency the Krank amp is unable to reproduce - one of the 'non-suck' frequencies perhaps.

Pete

Comment

I always dime the gain on the Ultra channel on the JSX whenever I demo one ..I always thought it sounded schweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X