No announcement yet.

How's the noise on current Peavey amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the JSX. I picked mine up off eBay mint for $700 about 2 months ago.

I'm still in my learning stages. The only problem I have is that I'll dial in the amp for one guitar and then when I use a different, things will sound shitty. I think I'll need to use similar pickups.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Did a little research on the Classic 30, which I thought might be a good option for a smaller, inexpensive head that would play nice with pedals. Unfortunately, it is 16 ohm minimum, which wouldn't work with any of my current cabs without rewiring, and the Classics are now made in China.

PITA.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
        Regarding the JSX. I picked mine up off eBay mint for $700 about 2 months ago.

I'm still in my learning stages. The only problem I have is that I'll dial in the amp for one guitar and then when I use a different, things will sound shitty. I think I'll need to use similar pickups.

joe...
        Definitely. That is one big thing I notice about the JSX, every guitar sounds different. My Charvel San Dimas reissue sound horrible through it, but my FMT sounds pretty good. I've tried different pickups too. Weird...

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
          Bad preamp tube possibly, or your guitar is resonating. Could be a resonance at a frequency the Krank amp is unable to reproduce - one of the 'non-suck' frequencies perhaps.

Pete
          On the JSX, the crunch channel doesn't do this. On the Krank Krank channel it doesn't do this. On both amps clean channels it doesn't do this, only on the ultra channel it does. The head is brand new. It may have 50 hours or so on it. I just got it a few weeks ago. I know that doesn't mean a tube can't be bad but it doesn't seem like a problem rather a trait of that channel. When you crank up the gain on the crunch channel like 5 or 6, there is no noise at all, no echo nothing but it's not as aggressive as the Ultra channel. the Ultra channel will create noise when the gain is turned up past 4. I set it usually at 5 or 4.5 somewhere in there and i get the tone I want but at the cost of noise.

Dan

Comment

I also don't believe the JSX to be "tight" amp. It's rather lose in tone. The FAT switches make it worse so I run both channels with them off or in the down position. I'm starting to believe this is not a metal amp. Rather a very flexible rock amp. It likes alot of Mid range in the settings. It gets alot of classic Marshall tone. It's nice if you like that.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
              I also don't believe the JSX to be "tight" amp. It's rather lose in tone. The FAT switches make it worse so I run both channels with them off or in the down position. I'm starting to believe this is not a metal amp. Rather a very flexible rock amp. It likes alot of Mid range in the settings. It gets alot of classic Marshall tone. It's nice if you like that.

Joking, right?

EMG's and a TS infront, fat switches off, and a V30 cab and it was tighter than my 5150!

Comment

what kind of ts dude?

and I find the exact opposite of mantis on this one. I'm running my quiet ultra channel well scooped at the mo' and it sounds amazing. Cant wait for 6L6's!

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
                  what kind of ts dude?

and I find the exact opposite of mantis on this one. I'm running my quiet ultra channel well scooped at the mo' and it sounds amazing. Cant wait for 6L6's!

Maxon OD808.

I'll post my settings later with clips, but when I was trying it out at the store, the mids at 4-5 sounded best to me. Anything lower was just too scooped.

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3 View Post
                    Joking, right?

EMG's and a TS infront, fat switches off, and a V30 cab and it was tighter than my 5150!
                    No EMG's, no Ts in front and it would be much tighter then your 5150. I think the JSX is a all around better amp then the 5150. I personally like the 5150 but I perfer the JSX to it as well as it's newer model in the 6505.

I'm not joking about the tone. It's how I feel about what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
                      what kind of ts dude?

Thats what I'm thinking. Replacing the tubes with 6L6's. from what I have read , it will tighten up the amp and give it a more fender like clean. I think the cleans on this amp are nice but I can push it to break up with my jackson loaded with a TB4 in the bridge position. I use Hot rails in the neck position and it sounds sweet. I also really like how it takes effects.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3 View Post
                        Maxon OD808.

I'll post my settings later with clips, but when I was trying it out at the store, the mids at 4-5 sounded best to me. Anything lower was just too scooped.
                        I have a BBE green screamer and find it to work well on the clean and crunch channel. I find no reason to run it in front of the Ultra channel. At least not yet. I tried it a few times and perferred the amp with nothing out in front.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                          On the JSX, the crunch channel doesn't do this. On the Krank Krank channel it doesn't do this. On both amps clean channels it doesn't do this, only on the ultra channel it does. The head is brand new. It may have 50 hours or so on it. I just got it a few weeks ago. I know that doesn't mean a tube can't be bad but it doesn't seem like a problem rather a trait of that channel. When you crank up the gain on the crunch channel like 5 or 6, there is no noise at all, no echo nothing but it's not as aggressive as the Ultra channel. the Ultra channel will create noise when the gain is turned up past 4. I set it usually at 5 or 4.5 somewhere in there and i get the tone I want but at the cost of noise.

Dan
                          1) Tubes are tubes. They have their average life cycles. For preamp tubes it may be up to 3-4 years even, but there's always a chance that you get a bad or even dead tube out of the box.

2) Usually different channels use different tubes. Usually the input tube is the same and then more gain stages are added depending on how "dirty" you channel is.

3) If you have no noise or microphonic effect (your "echo" seems to be microphonic effect of a bad tube) on clean and crunch channel this means that the tubes they use are ok, and only the tube that is added to the signal path when you switch onto ultra channel is bad.

All you need is to try to replace this tube with new one.
                          Probably the tubes layout is printed in user manual.
                          If not, you have to spend some time, swapping the tubes one by one (yeah switching amp on and off is annoying).
                          Because I don't say it
                          Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Originally posted by Carbophos View Post
                            1) Tubes are tubes. They have their average life cycles. For preamp tubes it may be up to 3-4 years even, but there's always a chance that you get a bad or even dead tube out of the box.

2) Usually different channels use different tubes. Usually the input tube is the same and then more gain stages are added depending on how "dirty" you channel is.

3) If you have no noise or microphonic effect (your "echo" seems to be microphonic effect of a bad tube) on clean and crunch channel this means that the tubes they use are ok, and only the tube that is added to the signal path when you switch onto ultra channel is bad.

All you need is to try to replace this tube with new one.
                            Probably the tubes layout is printed in user manual.
                            If not, you have to spend some time, swapping the tubes one by one (yeah switching amp on and off is annoying).
                            Thanks man. I will look into that. Tubes are cheap enough. It's brand new and I could take it back and get another one.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X