Marshall JCM900 SL-X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM900 SL-X?

Marshall JCM900 SL-X. Any good? Apparently the SL-X series are a bit different than the other Marshall heads.. kinda curious about checking it out, a guy has offered me one.. It's a 50w head.
    Anyone have any experiance with these heads? I know most people champion JCM800's, but they very rarely show up used here.

When I hear JCM900 one name pops up in my head: Alex Skolnick. I know he just used it as a poweramp for an ADA MP-1, but I'm trying to find an MP-1 now anyway, so I'll probably end up sounding like a horrible Skolnick-imitator

Does anyone here have any experiance with amps like the one I'm talking about? I think Robotechnology has/had one, a 100w version I believe?
    Chime in, folks
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

I used to have the 50W head. It definitely sounds like a higher gain JCM900 Dual Reverb. Just one channel though; the footswitch turns the solo boost on/off.
    Scott

Comment

I played one live several times and I thought it was pretty darn good. Its got plenty of gain.

Comment

Another "wish I had one" amp...

Comment

I actually preferred my 900 (4100 series dual reverbs) over them a lot. Was definitely not digging them. Too buzzy, saggy, and muddy sounding I always thought.

A guy auditioned for our band and I was totally not into hiring him cuz he had one and his sound was less than cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
            Marshall JCM900 SL-X. Any good? Apparently the SL-X series are a bit different than the other Marshall heads.. kinda curious about checking it out, a guy has offered me one.. It's a 50w head.
            Anyone have any experiance with these heads? I know most people champion JCM800's, but they very rarely show up used here.

When I hear JCM900 one name pops up in my head: Alex Skolnick. I know he just used it as a poweramp for an ADA MP-1, but I'm trying to find an MP-1 now anyway, so I'll probably end up sounding like a horrible Skolnick-imitator

Does anyone here have any experiance with amps like the one I'm talking about? I think Robotechnology has/had one, a 100w version I believe?
            Chime in, folks
            After looking for a sound i wanted to aspire too (Carcass's sound on Heartwork) I got interested in this amp and the 5150. I got it, but was broke and got that shitty Ampeg $300. NEVER liked it, thought it sucked as a Head. Bought EQ's, BBE's, etc. Got a Marshall 1960 Cab that goes with it.

Not I sounds awesome. I cant get it past 4 in my room, hopefully i will get a chance to crank soon. Strait forward in design, EQ' on it is a bit weak IMO. I put a cheap Boss SD-1 in front of it and my BBE and I get all kinds of Crunch and 50% gain on both the gain knobs. I does sound cool to tell people that your amp goes beyond 11, and goes to 20. Im sure if I turned it up and really pushed it and the cab I wouldnt need a pedal in front of it.

Alot of distortion amps try and get alot of gain at low levels so when people try them out in stores they sound good and when you turn them up you have to dial down. The SLX isnt that kinda amp. It needs to be cranked to be used correctly.
            www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
            the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Cool, I appreciate all the feedback guys, good and bad!
              Vlover; did you find your sound? Were you able to achieve a sound similiar to Carcass' Heartwork sound with that Marshall? I imagine some heavy EQ'ing is required for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                Cool, I appreciate all the feedback guys, good and bad!
                Vlover; did you find your sound? Were you able to achieve a sound similiar to Carcass' Heartwork sound with that Marshall? I imagine some heavy EQ'ing is required for that?
                I found 'my' Sound. On Heartwork they ran that Marshall with a 5150 and a Marshall Govenur pedel. While I was looking for that sound I realized that a guitarists tone gets shaped and eq'ed by the producer and the mastering process, so i kinda gave up looking for it. But with the Boss SD1 and the BBE, and Marshall i have my sound that every time I turn it on. I grin and I am happy with it.

The bass is decent but you cant get them muddy or rumbling, Highs are good but have to be controlled to keep the static and harshness out. But like most marshalls, it has Mids even when its turned down to 0. Hard to get a good scooped sound out of it. So your pickup will effect your tone too. No need for a Mid Heavy PU with it, except for solos.

Comment

Oh, and you can get a decent clean sound out of it. Its not a Jazz Chorus or Fender clean, but I can be done

Comment

Originally posted by Vlover View Post
                    I found 'my' Sound. On Heartwork they ran that Marshall with a 5150 and a Marshall Govenur pedel.
                    If I recall correctly, it was the Marshall SL-X, a Marshall mini stack, and I think even the Marshall 30th Anniversary. Live, I believe they used the 5150 with Marshall Guv'nor pedal (first issue) in front.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Wow that's quite a badass sound! I have to check out a Guv'nor pedal.
                      Michael Ammot rules.. The guy's been at it since the 80's.. He's an authority!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

EDIT: One more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnr1FDc9_fk
                      Last edited by Guitardude86; 03-30-2007, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Oh, about the "Heartwork" sound; here's some info on it:

Comment

Mike is a member here
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                            Mike is a member here
                            Edited away, i thought about wrong Mike Still, that's way cool!

Comment

I am talking about Mike Hickey :p
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X