Line 6 software advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 software advice

Alright.. so I'm about to take the plunge and actually buy some of the software online for my guitarport hardware.

Now I see I have a couple options.. the triple pack deal OR the power pack which has XT based modelers.

I see there's clips and I've given them a listen. I have a good impression of which way I'll be leaning too but I wanted to get somebody elses opinion if they're using these packs on which ones they prefer.

Also.. does line 6 offer 'coupon incentives' if you have bought from them online thru the monkey?

For all Line6 model packs you have an option of 30 days trial with moneyback.
    So you may try Triple and Power and consider which one you really need.

For myself I think that PowerPack has some very useful "standard" tones and effects that GuitarPort lacks by default (like Autowah, Spring Reverb, Tap Delay, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Mark II etc) . And TriplePack is more of a collection of "extras".
    Because I don't say it
    Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

Originally posted by Carbophos View Post
      For all Line6 model packs you have an option of 30 days trial with moneyback.
      So you may try Triple and Power and consider which one you really need.

For myself I think that PowerPack has some very useful "standard" tones and effects that GuitarPort lacks by default (like Autowah, Spring Reverb, Tap Delay, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Mark II etc) . And TriplePack is more of a collection of "extras".
      is the 5150's sound available in any pack? can the guitar port be controlled by a footswitch? Some models are really good and I'm thinking, "this is fantastic"! But once I play on the 5150, I'm back to "all-tube tone is the best!"
      Sam

Comment

Guitarport cannot be controlled by f/s. Anyway it is not intended for a live performance. It is a simple, compact tabletop gadget for recording straight in digital. Basically it's PODxt withought knobs and switches and somewhat limited number of model (expandable via download at extra cost). Very good for home recording. I'm "tube" guy too, and most of my playing goes thru tube amps. But for demoing stuff I use Guitarport.
        Because I don't say it

Comment

Ah...

No 5150 by default
          But it is availavle throurh Metal Shop model pack add-on
          Because I don't say it

Comment

get a toneport ux2, its so much better

Comment

Originally posted by Carbophos View Post
              Ah...

No 5150 by default
              But it is availavle throurh Metal Shop model pack add-on
              Cool! Yeah I just saw it on the website. that's good enough. Me already likey!!

But donvandam, how is the toneport anygood? Apart from the additional software that it comes with, for th 5150 sound, I would still need to buy the metal shop pack right?

does anyone have the metalshop pack?
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                Cool! Yeah I just saw it on the website. that's good enough. Me already likey!!

But donvandam, how is the toneport anygood? Apart from the additional software that it comes with, for th 5150 sound, I would still need to buy the metal shop pack right?

does anyone have the metalshop pack?
                Yeah, unlike GuitarPort TonePort has some bass amp and vocal preamp modelling, but basic guitar pack is the same. So you'll need metal shop pack.
                And also you can't use someone's else pack. Line 6 has pretty sophisticated copy protection. Model packs can be purchased only through online download, and the license key you receive will work only with this certain unit (its ID is registered first). You may transfer the pack from one unit to another, but prior to that you have to "release the license" via online connection.
                Because I don't say it

Comment

hmm, that does sound secure!
                  But tell me one thing, all the presets that I store are on the computer right? ...used via the gearbox that is downloadable for free. The case is the same for the model packs too right? Or are they stored on the device? this is my office laptop that I am connecting the guitarport to. In case I have to give it back, do I need to purchase the model pack again?
                  Sam

Comment

Model packs are loaded into the device, cos all modelling is hardware-based.
                    but proably you will need to run Line6 Monkey updater once on your laptop (Internet connection required) to verify your licenses.

I had my hard disc crashed a year ago, so when I re-installed the system onto new disc, I had no model pack visible through the gearbox. But after I did run the Monkey it was OK, andI believe that nothing was downloaded, just verified.
                    Because I don't say it

Comment

that's very good info. But I assume all your presets were gone? they must be stored somewhere on the laptop. let me take a look.

Somehow the processing power of the computer makes the tone difference in the guitarport. I would rank all-tube > guitar-port > solid state ...tone-wise.
                      Sam

Comment

ok, so all the presets are stored under
                        C:/Documents and settings/<login-user>/My Documents/Line 6/Tones/Gearbox/user

so, all the presets you have saved are under here. back them up!

Also, if anyone's downloaded the metal model pack, can you please let me know if its worth it? I am interested in knowing if the 5150 model sounds anywhere close to the actual 5150 or not.

thanks
                        Sam

Comment

I'm looking at the triple pack with the metal shop. The XT modelers in the power pack have some nice sounds too.. but for a 100.00.. I like the metalshop models better.

then again.. I could just save moola and buy a vetta, or another J-station for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                            I'm looking at the triple pack with the metal shop. The XT modelers in the power pack have some nice sounds too.. but for a 100.00.. I like the metalshop models better.
                            ok, I will think about getting the metal shop.

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                            then again.. I could just save moola and buy a vetta, or another J-station for that matter.
                            but a vetta is like $800+ on ebay and size-wise, its not a small 1x12. if i can get the 5150 sound in a POD, i will be the happiest. Did you ever get a chance to compare the 5150 model with the actual amp?
                            Sam

Comment

well.. I just bought the rifftracker after putting that off for about 8 months. I haven't plunged on the triple pack yet but I may yet in the next week if I don't get any sounds I like from the stocks or ones available from the tone locker. Pound for pound the Vetta would be a much better value. Had I known Line 6 was all about upgrades and paying more for extra add ons I would have gone a couple different routes. I didn't really even look at the website before I purchased anything as I bought this guitarport on a whim.

It looks like the UX2 or a GP with the monkey in the box is probably a better bang for buck.
                              Last edited by charvelguy; 03-31-2007, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X