Peavey Valve King 1x12 50w combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Valve King 1x12 50w combo

Picked one up today at GC for $400, $425 with tax. So far I have mixed feelings about this amp. The tone seems sloppy, muddy, muffled, to me. The lead channel is just a complete waste of time. Ive only had about a day to play around with it, but so far I dont love it.

I'm getting pretty good results on the clean channel in class A mode using my Tube Screamer and Pearl Distortion, but it still doesnt sound as good as my Marshall did, or even as good as the little palomino v8 I had for a while.

Does anyone have any experience with this amp, would upgrading the tubes and speaker make a worthwhile difference? I'd hate to have to drop $150 more into a brand new amp I just paid $400 for, not to mention having to explain it to my wife

Later,

Steve
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Simple solution: GC Return Policy.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
      Simple solution: GC Return Policy.
      Oh, most definitely. I dont usually play new gear in the store, there's just too much noise and distraction; people bumping into you as they walk by or standing directly behind you while you're trying to play. I research ahead of time so I know exactly what Im looking for when I get there, and then just take it home to try out.

Next week I plan on bringing home a Crate V32, or V16, to try out for a week. I'll keep returning them till I find one that I like.

The peavey is a cool amp, pretty rugged and damn powerful at a reasonable price. Shame it falls short the moment you turn it on.

Later,

Steve
      Guitars:
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

Word has it changing the speaker makes an enormous improvement. I plan on buying one soon most likely. Also if you want one to keep return the GC one and buy from these guys to save $50 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8842&rd=1&rd=1
        Last edited by thetroy; 04-01-2007, 09:13 AM.

Comment

the 2x12 sound really good, except for the transformer rattling about.
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I played the head and really thought it was cool. I ALMOST bought it.

Comment

This thing is freaking LOUD, louder than my marshall was for sure. Using the #2 input in full class A I can only hit about 2 on the volume before its too loud to play in the house without disturbing the neighbors.
              Guitars:
              Amp:
              VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
              X