Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall AVT150H = one of the good Valvestates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall AVT150H = one of the good Valvestates?

I'm not generally a Marshall guy, but our vocalist is selling his Marshall AVT150H head and offered me a good price on it. He played guitar in a band prior to Under Eden and gigged with it once or twice, but then that band broke up and it has sat in his parents' basement ever since. Based on that, it would be an early 2000s version, made in the UK. Other than knowing that Chuck Schuldiner used a solid-state Marshall, I am clueless about them. This is the model with regular clean, acoustic sim, OD1 and OD2 channels, and digital effects. Of particular interest to me is the effects arrangement, as the clean and distorted channels each have their own effects footswitch, plus there is a separate effects loop. That means I could run my trusty Guitar Silencer in the loop all the time, and use the built-in delay. The acoustic sim might be kind of cool too.

I'm going to pick the amp up sometime this coming week to try it out at home, but thought I'd try to get some input from anyone who has used one of these. I don't need suggestions of alternatives, as I'm not actively looking for this type of amp. However, the price is right and the AVT150H seems to get better reviews than most Marshall SS amps.
    sigpic

The AVT isn't a solid state per se, its a Hybrid, with a 12AX7 preamp tube. I played one at a store here, and really liked it. I think they sound great.

Comment

I like mine. Run it through a Marshall 1936 2x12. Does the job nicely. I went SS cuz there's no way I can crank a tube amp enough to enjoy it.
      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

While I have not used one personally, I hope ya don't mind a comment.
        I used a Valvestate for a while..borrowed a friends 8240 combo, I think they're capable of some good sounds. I used it for classic rock and 80-90 metal and I was getting some good Marshall type tube sounds. If its in nice shape for under 300.00..w/ footswitch, it would be worth it as they're selling on ebay for about 400. It looks like it has some great features and for what you do..its a versatile amp. I looked at the reviews and people complained about volume issues. Maybe its like a Warhead.. ss vs tube volume type of thing. If its loud enough and gainy enough for ya, its gotta compete or beat the ART in the tone/vol dept.
        Last edited by charvelguy; 04-02-2007, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
          I used a Valvestate for a while..borrowed a friends 8240 combo, I think they're capable of some good sounds.
          I've still got my 8240 stereo chorus combo (bought it new in the early '90s when it came out). Those original 8100 to 8200 Valvestate series amps are great. IMO, better than the other Valvestates that came later.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well, he is looking for $350. The only other solid state amp I've been considering is a used Peavey XXL at a local Music Go Round, which is also $350. The XXL has a footswitchable loop, but the AVT has the footswitchable onboard effects and a loop.

Although I have always liked Peavey amps, I've had too many experiences lately where the used stuff I've bought from shops or on eBay ended up having major issues that may or may not have been apparent to the previous owner. Some people have no moral reservations about selling off faulty gear, and both of my ART heads have now flaked out, although one is at least functional for practice use. I've mentioned before that I suspected power issues, but I haven't had any other gear failures of that sort.

Keep the comments coming. I'm not necessarily "sold" on the Marshall, and haven't tried it out with my own guitars and cabs yet, but other than the used XXL, there is nothing else that offers me an alternative to my current pedal/power amp rig for under $1000 - and I don't have $1000!
            sigpic

Comment

For $350 I'd run to him with cash in hand.

Comment

The old 8000 series Valvestates sound much better than the AVT series, IMHO. In the end though, it's your ears that must decide.
                Scott

Comment

Out of those two, I'd take the XXL.

Oh wait, I actually DID take the XXL... and still use it as a trusty backup amp.
                  I own an AVT-50 combo (my first serious practice amp), and have tried the AVT50 head and AVT150 in the local shop too. Before I got the XXL, that is.
                  We also have one of the original 8100 Valvestate heads in our rehearsal room (that's the one Chuck Schuldiner used).

So let me first say, the AVT-150 does not sound like the 8100. And not as good IMO. The acoustic channel is a nice feature, but has ALOT less volume than the other channels. I can't really comment on the quality of the onboard effects, as I'm not a big effects user. I guess they're ok...

I haven't tested the AVT150 in a band situation, so I cannot judge how well it cuts through. I know the XXL holds up quite well though.

So far I generally liked the Peavey SS stuff better than the Marshall hybrid stuff (I wish I had known about the Peavey Bandit back then when I got the AVT50). I have since figured out that I'm not a Marshall guy either...
                  but that might be preference in tone.

Since the guy you mentioned is your vocalist, you should be able to try out the AVT150 in the BAND SITUATION. And I'd strongly suggest you give that used Peavey XXL a nice long testdrive at the shop (and watch out for volume drops or anything that might indicate a problem). Or even ask if you can borrow it first to try it with the band.

See if you like the tones you get, and how those heads hold up with the whole band. Then decide.
                  http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I have an AVT 50 from the same time period, and with the right EQ ( I use a MXR 10 band eq), it can sound extremely close to my all tube Marshall DSL 201 combo.

So most of the time when I practice, I just use the AVT instead of firing up the tube amp.

Comment

Dude, have you considered a crate powerblock and a modelling floor effect? This will give you plenty of power and versatility (sp?).

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor View Post
                        Dude, have you considered a crate powerblock and a modelling floor effect? This will give you plenty of power and versatility (sp?).
                        Trying to avoid the digital model thing. I have a Peavey Classic 60 tube power amp that takes pedals great, but am looking at a head so that I can leave my monstrous pedalboard at home. The AVT just happens to be an option that might work out for home and gig use.

Our vocalist (seller) actually is replacing the head with a Powerblock and a distortion pedal, since he only plays at home.
                        sigpic

Comment

Have you ever opened up a Valvestate? I have, to change the tube and clean the pots. I shuddered at the cheap build quality. Might be okay to keep in the living room, but if you're gigging the Peavey is at least rugggedly built. Plastic input and speaker jacks don't impress me right off the bat....
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I know you don't have much cash but...As I said in the other thread you posted...The XXL does NOT hold up well in a heavy band situation...I don't know what music these others play but, I know you play heavy like I do...I gave you the head to head results. XXL...Sounded better than Steve’s previous Valvestate...But the V-Apmpire her replaced his XXL when he finally couldn't deny it anymore was even better.

The XXL sounds great until you push it if a full heavy band...I promise you.

Modor is right on the money. You can have a XTLive and a Powerblock for under 1000. It will be better than the XXL.

As far as the AVT…I have an educated opinion on that too

They also suck in a heavy band situation…A guy I know used one in a band called Anger Management…When he played live he squealed and sounded thin as shit (the runny kind)…Washed out effects too...He was no dummy either…He used to have serious gear and serious tone…He had to buy this rig because he needed cash and sold his Recto. He was telling us that the AVT 150 eat the recto… Then he giged a few shows with it and he could hardly look up from shame. I felt bad for him…He can play but, the sound coming from that heap were horrid!

I’m not trying to be a know it all…I’ll give you names and numbers… These are testaments taken from first hand accounts.

Just trying help a Brother out…We all struggle to get what we need without selling the farm. But there has to be better alternatives than these choices.

I don’t hold a lot of merit in reviews and stuff but at the end of the day…Who ever says anything good about the AVT stuff? Not even…”Underrated amp” or “Bang for the buck”. They flopped…For a reason.

EDIT: Just get a XTLive and use your Classic 60 for power!
                            Last edited by sevser; 04-03-2007, 12:51 AM. Reason: to add...
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by mhalsey View Post
                              I like mine. Run it through a Marshall 1936 2x12. Does the job nicely. I went SS cuz there's no way I can crank a tube amp enough to enjoy it.
                              Did you try a pedal? Im able to run my 50wt DSL 2000 Marshalls volume
                              at 7 at bedroom levels with the Boss GT-8 foot controller for volume controll. Amp sings... at what would normally be a volume of 2 out of the
                              marshall. Just a thought

Comment

Working...
                              X