Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running analog distortion pedal into tube mic pre.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running analog distortion pedal into tube mic pre.

Anybody try this as a way to warm up a pedal before hitting the power amp? Despite my recent issues with some of my ART gear, I still love the tone I get from the stuff. Earlier tonight, the thought struck me to replace the somewhat unreliable ART Tube EQ parametric unit on my pedalboard with another ART device: a Tube MP mic preamp. As with the Tube EQ, the Tube MP has a 12AX7 tube in it, and is pretty basic. It has 1/4" and XLR ins and outs, phase reverse and 20db gain boost buttons, and gain control for in and out.

I ran my Xtreme pedal into it (on Xtreme distortion channel) and started twisting knobs, starting with both MP gain knobs at 12 o'clock. Cranking up the MP's input gain just increased the incoming pedal signal, which got really harsh. The 20db boost was too much overall, although it might work in certain situations. But leaving the input gain at 12 o'clock and turning up the output gain sounded really nice! Not quite as much warmth as the Tube EQ when properly tweaked, but definitely an improvement over the pedal alone.

Just thought I would mention my little experiment and see if anyone else has tried something similar. I know that tube mic preamps sometimes get used as bass DI boxes, and figured that it couldn't hurt to use it between pedals and a power amp. Not too shabby!
    sigpic

Last edited by texasfury; 10-04-2008, 07:31 PM.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

The pedal on its own isn't harsh, but its distortion is right up there with a Rectifier or 5150. Increasing the input gain on the Tube MP isn't beneficial as it is just turning up the signal signal coming out of the Xtreme pedal without adding the tube, in which case it would sound smoother to just turn up the pedal's output level. I'm no expert on these things, but I would assume that the mic pre's input gain would be most useful when used as a DI on a guitar or bass with passive electronics and no other boost, right into a mixing board. The MP's output gain is where the 12AX7 enters the mix. Not really any different from using a pedal into the preamp section of a tube head, except that the preamp is sitting on the floor, followed by a gate and effects. The Xtreme pedal on its own has all the distortion a person could really ever need, and has a great parametric EQ of its own, but it's still a solid state pedal running into a tube power amp (Peavey Classic 60) with no presence or resonance control as found on some higher end power amps.

Most of the time, I wouldn't need anything besides the Xtreme and Classic 60, but we sometimes play venues where the guitar tone coming through the PA is very thin. In the past, I have just used the Tube EQ with the frequencies mostly at 12 o'clock, just using its output gain (same as on the Tube MP) to warm up my tone at such venues. But the Tube EQ bypass button is prone to flaking out, where as the Tube MP is always on. So I'm going to see how it works out as a replacement.
      sigpic

Comment

The Xtreme is a very cool distortion pedal, but the added tube warmth would definitely improve it. Last time I jammed with someone their jam room was small and already full of amps. So I brought my Xtreme and plugged it into my friend's Marshall Major bass head and a 212 cab.

Now at home i plug the Xtreme into a small 6-channel PA mixer-amp and a pair of 2-way 12s, and that sounds cool for home practice.

But plugging it into that old Marshall bass head, WOW! It was REALLY NICE! Much warmer sounding, I just kept everything low in volume so the amp was coasting. Distortions were smoking, both Xtreme and Scream, and clean it was just warm and beautiful with clean tubes and a little chorus.

So yeah, it's great by iutself, but if you can get some tubey warmth in there it's even better.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X