New VOX high gain amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New VOX high gain amps

Considering how much I liked the original Valvetronix amps, I'm guessing I'm going to love these. They look pretty wicked, too:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp...XL-Series.html

It looks like a good late night toy. I may be in for the second smallest one.

Comment

I saw this the other day too on H-C. They are basically a more metal oriented chrome series, still seriously lacking compared to the original blue series VT amps.

My bet is they will sound good, but where is the flexibility of the original VT blue series? I'm happy to have picked up an AD60VT before the supply dried up and after seeing these "new" models, I'm glad I didn't wait. I wonder when Vox will introduce a new high end VT series to replace the blue series.
      My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

I found that (in in-store noodling) the chrome Vox amps paled in comparison to the Valvetronix amps. The VT on the other hand, sounds AMAZING, but it's a bit spendy compared to Line 6, and there have been many issues with dependability.

Sounds like Vox 's answer to the HD147 series. Cool idea. I'll have to check one out.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
          I found that (in in-store noodling) the chrome Vox amps paled in comparison to the Valvetronix amps. The VT on the other hand, sounds AMAZING, but it's a bit spendy compared to Line 6, and there have been many issues with dependability.

Sounds like Vox 's answer to the HD147 series. Cool idea. I'll have to check one out.
          Ummm... the chrome series *are* Valvetronix amps. The "original" (sometimes called blue series) Valvetronix amps are the AD60VT/VTX and AD120VT/VTX. The newer (and cheaper) Valvetronix amps are the AD15/30/50/100VT combos and the AD100VTH (head only) which have chrome grilles, these are commonly called the chrome series. I certainly wouldn't call the VT spendy compared to an equivalent Line6. The AD60VT and Line6 Flextone are in the same class and cost about the same. But the VT amps just sound better. I know, because a good friend of mine has the Flextone II which is considered by most to be the best sounding Flextone model. After playing through my AD60VT, he wants one. The chrome series VT's are more comparable (price and features) to the Line6 Spider series. I agree some people have had problems with VT reliability, but so far mine has been fine.
          Last edited by cbope; 04-09-2007, 08:35 AM. Reason: clarification
          My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by cbope View Post
            Ummm... the chrome series *are* Valvetronix amps. The "original" (sometimes called blue series) Valvetronix amps are the AD60VT/VTX and AD120VT/VTX. The newer (and cheaper) Valvetronix amps are the AD15/30/50/100VT combos and the AD100VTH (head only) which have chrome grilles, these are commonly called the chrome series. I certainly wouldn't call the VT spendy compared to an equivalent Line6. The AD60VT and Line6 Flextone are in the same class and cost about the same. But the VT amps just sound better. I know, because a good friend of mine has the Flextone II which is considered by most to be the best sounding Flextone model. After playing through my AD60VT, he wants one. The chrome series VT's are more comparable (price and features) to the Line6 Spider series. I agree some people have had problems with VT reliability, but so far mine has been fine.

Calm down...

I know they're VT's, but not the same animal as the "blue series", hence the differentiation. When I think VT, I think of the "good ones" - the blue series.

And yes, the Blue VT's ARE spendier by comparison. Price them out - the 2x12 Flextone III is cheaper ($1199 for Vox AD120VTX vs $699 for Flextone III XL - damn near double!! If that isn't spendier, then what is?). I agree with your comparison of the silver series to the Spider - I think they're better than the Spider personally. But having had every Flextone made, I don't know if I'd consider the Flex II the best sounding, but you can't quantify that anyway, so let's not go there. I'm actually partial to the original series, where they didn't do the cab modeling.

I personally thing the Vox sounds a bit better as well, but not enough to justify the price difference on the new & used markets, and certainly not enough to risk the reliability issues. Great amps otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
              Calm down...

I know they're VT's, but not the same animal as the "blue series", hence the differentiation. When I think VT, I think of the "good ones" - the blue series.

And yes, the Blue VT's ARE spendier by comparison. Price them out - the 2x12 Flextone III is cheaper ($1199 for Vox AD120VTX vs $699 for Flextone III XL - damn near double!! If that isn't spendier, then what is?). I agree with your comparison of the silver series to the Spider - I think they're better than the Spider personally. But having had every Flextone made, I don't know if I'd consider the Flex II the best sounding, but you can't quantify that anyway, so let's not go there. I'm actually partial to the original series, where they didn't do the cab modeling.

I personally thing the Vox sounds a bit better as well, but not enough to justify the price difference on the new & used markets, and certainly not enough to risk the reliability issues. Great amps otherwise.

I am calm. You should see me pissed off...

Anyway, I was comparing prices here in Europe, where I believe the prices are closer together than in the states... probably has to do with Vox being UK-based (cheaper here) and Line6 being US-based (cheaper there). Anyway, I paid 579 € for my AD60VT and at the same time the Flextone III (1x12, not the XL) was about 530 € from the same webshop. Now, the Flextone is down to 479 €, but the AD60VT's are sold out. My friend who got the used AD120VTX + VC12 got it for ~900 € and I'm still jealous of that deal. Flextones are good amps, in fact I tried to buy that Flextone II off my friend before I got the Vox. He wanted a Vetta but then wasn't prepared for the price so he decided to keep the Flextone for now. Regarding the reliability, like I said so far no problems. My other friend who bought the VC12 recently had to send it back almost immediately for a defect. The 2nd VC12 works fine so far. I'm not too worried and will find out tomorrow when my VC12 arrives. Besides, over here in Europe most electronics equipment MUST be provided with a 2 year manufacturers warranty, unlike in the states where you are lucky to get a year. I have a 3 year warranty on my Vox.

Comment

The Vox Valvetronix dollar to dollar are much better then the Line 6 amps. They sound more "real"

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                  The Vox Valvetronix dollar to dollar are much better then the Line 6 amps. They sound more "real"

Dan
                  until you put a Vetta in the mix... then it's game over
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

The chrome ones are priced well...and for at home use aren't bad....a good value.
                    sigpic

Comment

Cant see a VOX out perfoming a Roland Cube amp! Cube 30 is a little
                      metal monster for $280

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                        Cant see a VOX out perfoming a Roland Cube amp! Cube 30 is a little
                        metal monster for $280
                        I haven't heard a Cube 30, but I do have a Micro Cube. In any case it's the tube in the Valvetronix that gives it the dynamics and a more natural tube-like sound compared to a SS amp like the Cube. I would be seriously surprised if any of the Cubes could touch a Valvetronix blue. I'm not saying Cubes are bad, far from it, in fact I love my little Cube. But let a guitarist who is loves tube amps play a Valvetronix and they will be right at home. I've seen it happen, in fact a friend who is very "pro-tube amp" was amazed after playing through a Valvetronix. He bought one.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                          until you put a Vetta in the mix... then it's game over
                          That may be true, but I could buy 3 AD60VT's for the price of one Vetta. Not exactly a fair comparison.

Comment

Valvetronix XL clips online

Vox now has clips posted for the Valvetronix XL. It sounds great, IMO. Check it out (Click Audio Downloads - the XL clips are at the bottom):
                            http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronixxl/ad50vt2-xl.asp#

Comment

Vox Ad30vt

I cannot say enough about my Vox AD30VT.I had a Line 6 Spider 2 (75W) prior to getting the Vox.
                              I really like the Vox's tone over the Line 6 (in this comparo) cause the little Vox does reproduce a "tube" tone. I went to the store to get a Spider 3,ended up leaving with the AD30VT. Its plenty loud for my room,basement.
                              I get nice low bass with the combo's closed back and for being a 10" sounds great,not farty at all like my old Fender PJ 10."
                              The "US hi-gain" & "Modern hi-gain" models are Mesa Recto & MK 4 led channels.(they appeal to me as im an old school owner/fan)
                              Ive been using the "UK Modern channel" and is now my new Fav. I was playing some King Diamond "Them" and can get close to Andy's tone.

As far as Line 6's. . my best friend has a Vetta 2 and that thing smokes
                              Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Working...
                              X