Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD pedals with hardwire bypass

Greetings!

Can someone point me to some OD pedals that are in the market possessing a hardwire bypass? Most of the one's I've tried need to be powered. Suggestions for a volume/clean boost pedal like the BBE Boosta Grande are also welcome.

thanks
    Sam

Burriss Boostier or MI Boost & Buff

Used the Burriss goes for $130 and the B&B sub $100

Comment

Maxon OD9.

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
        Burriss Boostier or MI Boost & Buff

Used the Burriss goes for $130 and the B&B sub $100
        Wow! Never heard of them. But an ebay auction for the B&B claims that its not true bypass. But its an interesting pedal. 35dB of boost. The boosta grande has only 20dB. So does the seymour duncan pedal.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by sworn_enemy View Post
          Maxon OD9.
          I like that. But is it true "hardwire bypass" ? Meaning if you disconnect the power, will the guitar signal still go thru the pedal?

EDIT: never mind the bypass question. It is! Thanks!
          Last edited by emperor_black; 04-05-2007, 06:35 PM.
          Sam

Comment

Why are you so concerned about true bypass? Are you running multiple pedals or something?

Comment

I want all of my guitar signal to go into my amp. not a processed signal. At first I could not make out the difference, but later on, I was able to.

I am running my guitar cable into a Planet waves chromatic pedal tuner then to a ISP decimator and then finally into the 5150 head. The 5150 doesnt need any OD pedals in the front, but I like to have that extra grit during tapping and pull offs.
              Last edited by emperor_black; 04-05-2007, 08:22 PM.
              Sam

Comment

HomeBrew Electronics Power Screamer
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive (regular or Keeley modded version). Those kick ass!!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                    Wow! Never heard of them. But an ebay auction for the B&B claims that its not true bypass. But its an interesting pedal. 35dB of boost. The boosta grande has only 20dB. So does the seymour duncan pedal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-AUTHORIZED-DEA...QQcmdZViewItem

It depends on what you mean by true bypass. Pete Cornish claims it's a marketing scheme, and that there's no such a thing. That's why he uses RFI and buffers in his pedals. It's a bypass, but since he doesn't believe in true bypass, his buffers fatten up the signal. That's why he says to put his pedals at the end of the chain.

Frankly, I'm more than a little confused with all the competing claims. I can tell for sure that these pedals suck and color my tone. I just deal with it, and arrange them in the best way possible. I even have a Little Lehle at the end of the pedal chain that is supposed to work as a true bypass. But honestly, I can't tell the difference. Most of the pedals I have are pretty good when shut off. Only the Rotosphere seems to constipate the amp.

Comment

very simply I will tell you how to differentiate if a pedal is a "true" bypass. If the pedal can transmit your guitar signal across itself without any power, i.e no 9V or battery, then its true bypass. Its a simple fking thing to do. My brother did that for my original wah pedal. Usually these pedals have a SPDT switch in them. You've got to replace it with a DPDT. Single Pole Double Throw replaced with a Double Pole Double Throw.

In the market we have three types of bypass

1) Original Dunlop wah. Even if you turn off the wah, there is still some "wah" in the sound. Its the cheapest of the Dunlop wah's out there. that sucks!

2) Boss pedals: When you turn them off, the effect is turned off, but it still uses some sort of bypass circuit that actually boosts the signal by a very negligible amount. Buffering pedals help when you have a lot of pedals in your signal chain and according to the guy on ebay if u want to push your signal across a 20 ft. cable.

3) true bypass: Like my Planet waves chromatic tuner pedal. It can transmit the guitar signal across even when its unpowered. This is the type I am looking for. Nowadays, some pedals say true bypass but still need to be powered because they claim that they trasmit all the signal without any buffering. So, the latest term in the market is "hardwire" bypass. This is the true DPDT switch ones. For just a simple switch, they charge outrageous amounts.
                      Sam

Comment

True bypass is fine if you just have a pedal or two. But as soon as you have a half dozen pedals you will degrade your signal with the extra cable, connectors, itty-bitty thin wires in your pedals, etc. This is why guys like Pete Cornish don't believe in passive bypass.

BTW, there are some pedals out there that can pass signal with no battery but are not true bypass - I can't remember which off the top of my head but I've seen them and there are circuits on the web that show how to do this. The primary goal is that when you experience power/battery failure you can still pass signal.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
                          HomeBrew Electronics Power Screamer
                          www.homebrewelectronics.com
                          Caution: This effect *loves* some amps and makes other amps sound like the cabinet has been turned into cardboard.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing as Tim, there are some pedals that are not true bypass which still pass the signal through them anyway when unpowered. The Electroharmonix pedals do that. Or at least some of them do, because I tried it with the ones I had. I can't remember if it was the Small Stone phaser or the Holy Grail reverb pedal or both. But I do remember disconnecting the power and it passed the signal through. They were definite tone suckers though so I know they were not true bypass.
                            A true bypass OD is the Fulltone OCD.

Rudy
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

You run through a pedal tuner, and worried about true bypass in other pedals? Hmm...

Comment

Working...
                              X