Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
    Greetings!

Can someone point me to some OD pedals that are in the market possessing a hardwire bypass? Most of the one's I've tried need to be powered. Suggestions for a volume/clean boost pedal like the BBE Boosta Grande are also welcome.

thanks
    Any of the boosters from from Xotic. RC for a purely clean boost, AC for grit to medium gain, BB for clean to high gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
      You run through a pedal tuner, and worried about true bypass in other pedals? Hmm...
      its a planet waves chromatic pedal tuner and its true hardwire bypass.
      The only pedal I have (well, I have only 2 pedals ) that is in front of the amp and not true bypass is the ISP decimator. But that is the best noise reduction pedal which does not color your sound like the Boss NS-2 does.
      Sam

Comment

Personally i think all of this stuff is just a bunch of overhyped BS. Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Tony Iommi, Eddie Van Halen, Jeff Beck, etc. all used non-true bypass pedals and they created some of the most amazing tones ever. I never even heard the term "true bypass" until I got on Internet guitar forums. True bypass can kiss my ass.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

^ cause they had their pedals modded by their techies. Only the outer cover seems like its a regular pedal, but inside, they will have all the true bypass they could ever want.
          Sam

Comment

^ cause they had their pedals modded by their techies. Only the outer cover seems like its a regular pedal, but inside, they will have all the true bypass they could ever want.
            :ROTF: :ROTF:

- Newc

Comment

All due respect, that sounds like a fable composed by pedal modders to sell you their work.

I'm no expert pedal historian, but I have been playing and fucking with these things since 1972. It seems to me that true bypass in the 70s was seen as a detriment because of the signal loss with multiple pedals. That's why the pedals with signal buffers were presented as an improvement in technology, and people loved them.

So that makes it hard for me to buy that Hendrix et al were aware that NOT having true bypass would present a problem that they needed to address. Lets remember that they were not interested in those amps' pure tones, they were trying to alter them as much as possible. They weren't looking at the gear with 40 years of worship, reverence and myths the way people are now. It was more like, "This amp is loud enough but I need some shit to make it sound WILD enough!".

But hey, I could be wrong. Just because I lived through the time doesn't mean I know everything. But I do know that a lot of legendary bullshit has been built up to justify some serious fees for tweaking this stuff!

Damn, Tim, what is this, 3 times this year? I'm sure I said something here you can disagree with though, I tried to run on long enough anyway! :ROTF:
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

3 times this year - yikes! I looked hard through your post but couldn't find anything wrong with it. Crap :lol;

- Newc

Comment

Some stuff really improves with true bypass, like my Vox wah. That thing is a horrible tone sucker. But I agree that pedals with quality buffering circuits are just fine, if not an improvement over true bypass when there are many pedals in the chain.

Comment

yeah, I aware of the loss of signal without buffering, but I've already got emg's which are putting out more o/p than any of the pickups aforementioned that were being used 30 years ago. So, I am not too worried about the loss. Plus, I am gonna be using only 3 pedals in front of the amp. If the cost of true bypass OD pedals is so much, probably, I can get a decent one and use a A/B box instead.
                    Sam

Comment

You can find a true bypass box online if you look. Use the true bypass box in front of the pedals. When youre not using the pedals the signal bypasses all the pedals. I saw a thread here recently that had a link to a true bypass box maker. They sell theres for $35 US I think.

Im with hippetim here. the legands didnt waste time on nit pickin tone they found there tone then made great music instead of lookin for the majic bullet to make them sound better.

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                        You can find a true bypass box online if you look. Use the true bypass box in front of the pedals. When youre not using the pedals the signal bypasses all the pedals. I saw a thread here recently that had a link to a true bypass box maker. They sell theres for $35 US I think.

Im with hippetim here. the legands didnt waste time on nit pickin tone they found there tone then made great music instead of lookin for the majic bullet to make them sound better.

While I too don't believe in true bypass and going out of my way to clip the pedals, sometimes you have to have a workaround. Jimi had roadies and technicians that moved things around. Me, I'm lazy, I'm not going to unplug some of my tonesuckers every time I feel like going back to the straight amp. I've got a leslie effect pedal going, and there's no way I'm going to leave it in the chain and play through it when it's off, so it's either move it around, or look for a way around it. I chose to go through a looper rather than a bypass. It just makes more sense to me. I have the Little Lehle.

Comment

I think you mean a A/B box. Yes, that is exactly my point. its a very very simple thing to make a regular stomp box true bypass. you replace the SPDT switch with a DPDT switch and add two more lead wires. When you stomp it off, the effect circuit is completely cutoff. But with the digital switching nowadays (the effect is always off even if you had it on when powering the effect off) it is hard. I think that is why the big companies make it a default to not have true bypass.

a A/B box, has one input and two o/ps (A & B). You plug in your guitar in the input and one cable goes directly to the amp from A (so no signal loss since there are no pedals ). Meanwhile all your effects go between B and the amp. so, there you go! I wish I had a diagram to show this.

This is not nitpickin my friend. This is logic. We waste our time getting the best strings, best wood, best pickups, best amp, etc. but then we plug our guitars into this OD box which, in the pretext of "buffer" colors the sound. it may be negligible, it may be a lot, but there is coloring. Which according to me defeats the purpose of the nitpicking we done with the wood, strings, pups, etc. Maybe I am making a big deal out of it, but just sharing my thoughts.
                          Sam

Comment

I think what Yard Dawg is saying is that we in 2007 are much more anal about this stuff than people like Hendrix were in the 60s and 70s.

Again, if you have some credible proof from a first hand source that Hendrix had his techs mod his pedals for true bypass, we'd all love to see a link. If you're taking the word of the tech at your local music store, well don't be bummed if there are skeptics.
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I think you mean a A/B box. Yes, that is exactly my point. its a very very simple thing to make a regular stomp box true bypass. you replace the SPDT switch with a DPDT switch and add two more lead wires. When you stomp it off, the effect circuit is completely cutoff. But with the digital switching nowadays (the effect is always off even if you had it on when powering the effect off) it is hard. I think that is why the big companies make it a default to not have true bypass.

a A/B box, has one input and two o/ps (A & B). You plug in your guitar in the input and one cable goes directly to the amp from A (so no signal loss since there are no pedals ). Meanwhile all your effects go between B and the amp. so, there you go! I wish I had a diagram to show this.
                              How is that going to work unless your amp has two inputs?

A looper box would make more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                                How is that going to work unless your amp has two inputs?

A looper box would make more sense.
                                Yes you are right. my logic was skewed. I thought I found a passive box with an FX loop , but I cant seem to find that now. But I do have a home-made true bypass setup that my bro built for me. Its not road-worthy though :ROTF:

How about using two AB-Y boxes like this? Still true bypass but taking the effort too far.

Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X