Gonna get a triaxis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna get a triaxis...

Well, got a new job so i've finally decided to replace my jmp-1 preamp with the mesa triaxis. I've not tried one of them, although I really liked the tone i got from a mate's triple rectifier (and it'll probably help differentiate my tone from the other guitarists' jmp-1/selmer setup). Anyone else compared the triaxis to the jmp-1?
    cheers
    C

new setup will be:
    ke2/rr1-triaxis-rocktron hush-vht 2150-celestion gt75 4x12"

Most people say they dont feel that the Triaxis does the recto sound really.

But, they are easily better sounding than a JMP-1.

Comment

I had the pleasure of trying out the Triaxis. I noodled around on it for about 45 minutes or so. I also had the guy who owned it demo it for me since he was obviously more familiar with it. He had all of his presets and whatnot ready to gig. I have to admit that it was capable of some good to great sounds but it wasn't quite for me. I have to agree w/CM's post. I didn't think it duped the recto sound well at all. I ended up getting a Roctron Prophesy II. If you're willing to spend the time w/it's extensive editing capabilities you can get any sound imaginable. A lot of the factory presets ain't bad either.
      In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
        Most people say they dont feel that the Triaxis does the recto sound really.

But, they are easily better sounding than a JMP-1.

+1

It handles the Mark III-IV series tones much better.

Comment

Tube preamps....

Not sure if you have tried an ADA MP-1 but I recently rediscovered my old pre-amp and after owning a Triaxis, JMP-1, couple of rectos, marshall etc...I am sticking with the MP-1 now. With mods and good support available from adadepot, you can't loose. It will nail good 80s metal sounds in stock form, there are mods to give it a good recto sound and mods to add a new tube for gain stage...www.adadepot.com

Best thing is that most can be bought on ebay for $200 average.

Comment

yeah, I'd heard that it might not be an exact copy of the rectifier's tone but I'm thinking that moving to a more "mesa" tone might be good to contrast with the other guitarist's marshally tone (also considering changing the vht's valves from el34 to 6l6s). With us both using jmp-1s it was getting difficult to differentiate the sounds. To be honest I hadn't really considered the mp-1 as i was under the impression it was discontinued and might be a bugger to get repaired if anything went wrong (living in Glasgow, where I've had trouble finding good amp techs so far).
            The prophecy is something I'd like to try out in the long term, but it's even rarer than the triaxis over here. Looking forward to trying out the triaxis though as the jmp-1 is the only pre amp I've had the chance to use so far.

cheers
            C

Comment

MP-1 is definitely discontinued, definitely a problem if certain parts take a dump, but a cool sounding preamp and it is extremely well priced and it's an easily modified unit nonetheless.

Although its stock settings are somewhat sedate sounding, I think I like a Prophecy better than a Triaxis myself. I didn't particularly get blown away with the Triaxis's that I have played through really.

But I honestly never had enough time to properly dial one in, and I know the Triaxis can be a very tweakable preamp (as is the Prohecy but I know how the programming/tweaking scheme works in them better and get a good sound fast with them), so I won't say much about the triaxis other than I've heard some people get great tones out of them (and out of both units really).

Comment

Originally posted by achren_git View Post
                Anyone else compared the triaxis to the jmp-1?
                Yes, and the outcome will depend on if you're a "Marshall" guy or a "Mesa" guy. If you're into classic Marshall tones, they're nowhere to be found in the Triaxis. The Triaxis has stellar clean and lead tones though.

Comment

One thing about the Tri-Axis that nobody has seemed to mention is that you really dont get the full glory of this unit unless you are using a Mesa simul 2:90 power amp. At least that is what I have been told. I know it isn't required but, mesa and others out there feel like it is a matched pair.

-Nate
                  Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

interesting, i was thinking the vht would go pretty well with the tri-axis. I can see that mesa would want people to think that right enough! Cheers dmtnt, aye, it looks like i might do the switch- always been a marshall guy but i don't think it's the tone i want any more for what i'm doing...

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
                      One thing about the Tri-Axis that nobody has seemed to mention is that you really dont get the full glory of this unit unless you are using a Mesa simul 2:90 power amp. At least that is what I have been told. I know it isn't required but, mesa and others out there feel like it is a matched pair.

-Nate
                      This is possible since there are voicing switches out of the Triaxis (or Rectifier Recording Preamp for that matter) to the matching 3 voicings in a 2:90 or 2:100. I have the VHT 2/90/2 and Mesa 2:100, but no Triaxis yet. Both work well with my MP-1 and Sansamp PSA-1. I'll have to give it a try when I get a Triaxis.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

i have played one once, I like my triple rectifier better

Comment

Working...
                        X