New Line 6 Product - Floor POD Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Line 6 Product - Floor POD Plus

I've made it no secret I have a jones for Line 6 products - everything except the POD XT. I hated it - I spent way to much time tweaking and scrolling, and NO time playing. Sold it - went back to the old POD. When the XT Live came out, I cried. "What a GREAT idea!! Why don't they do it with the regular POD??" Well, they did!

I bought the Floor POD Plus this weekend. Basically, it's the POD 2.3 in a floor board. Major differences include: no USB port, no power switch , seperate delay and effects section (ala the Flextone III series), and one pedal that can be used as volume and wah - like the FBV Shortboard.

Sonically speaking, it sounds very good. The amp models are typical, and as I use mainly the Soldano and Marshall JCM 800 models, they got those right, so in my eyes, it's good. 32 Amp models in all. Delays are good as usual, and have about 5 or 6 to choose from, all of which are usable. Effects are also standard run, with a few new ones thrown in. I don't use much more than the chorus, but there's a couple new ones I'm sure I'll play with. There's a dedicated noise gate and a dedicated compressor, both of which do what they should. It's nice to have them seperate and readily adjustable though - the POD Beans did not have that as readily available. A presence knob would have ben nice, but you can still bump that as one of the "secondary functions" by holding down the manual button and turning the treble knob.

One SHINING ACHIEVEMENT -- the A.I.R. mode... In the past with all other PODs, you can run it with the sims on or you can run it in "AMP" mode, which is supposed to shut that off. Now to my ears, the amp models always sounded wrong with the cabinet sims/models on. I would always choose an amp models, and then shut the cab model off so the EQ was right, as I was playing through a power amp and into a guitar cab. Problem was this: When you shut the cab sim off, save it that way, go to another patch, then come back, the cab sim would be ON again!! I hated it!! THIS TIME though, they got it right. When you shut the cab sim off, save it, go to another patch and then come back, the cab sim STAYS OFF!! FINALLY!!

Beyond that, nothing really earth-breaking with this. It's just nice to have an "all-in-one" board that's not the XT. My only gripe is that the deck of this one is plastic, not metal. I'm not a hard user of these things, but we'll see how it hold up for people who use it live.

Anyway, just thought I'd share!

another difference between the been and the floor is the bean has balanced outs for recording as opposed to unbalanced outs like all the floor / live models.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well i agree with you on the Xt pro rack mnt. Geez, compared to the
      Boss GT -8 its a toy. Im going blind trying to squint to read the ultra
      small LED window. Plus i dont think it sonically matches up to the GT-8
      Sorry to hijack this POD thread, but all i could think about while reading your post was, "i wonder what this guy would think if he ever
      got his hands on a GT-8?"
      I may try a Vetta II someday, but im done with POD. My next one
      will be either the TC G major or Rocktron Prophecy

Comment

i like my XT live just fine.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I'd like to try the GT-8...some day! I'm liking this POD more and more though.

Again, I liked the XT for what it was (I'm with Rob on the tiny LED screen - I got a headache every time I had to look at it!!), but by the time I got done screwing around with the parameters to get a good sound, I was tired of playing! Kinda takes the fun out of it when I had to work SOOOO hard to find MY sound, and then when I did, if I ever chaged patches and came back to it, I had to take the cab sim out AGAIN!!

With the Floor POD Plus, I just turn & burn! Same as the bean! I like it simple I guess.

Comment

Working...
          X