No announcement yet.

JCM 2000 Haters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DSL's 2000 series are fine, but to each his own. I've used them live and was really pleased with its sound.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
      Sorry but I see these Korean made Epiphones all the time and they don't hold a candle to a USA Gibson. Quite frankly, most of the Epiphones I see are complete shit and most of the Gibsons I see are quite nice. There isn't a single Epiphone product that you don't have to tack on "for the money" after saying it's good.
      Comparatively speaking, this is like saying a Yugo can out perform a Ferrari.:ROTF: :ROTF:
      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Silicone wires? WTF is that?
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
          I guess I'll stay in my curmudgeon corner then. Like I said, I'm waiting for the verdict on the JVM, but on paper and clips I've heard it sounds great. The most modern marshalls that I've really liked much were a JCM 800 2210 and a Jubilee, both of which are dreaded 'diode clipping' amps. I really liked them both. DSL's and TSLs just don't do much for me, and I've played each at length, not a 5 minute GC blowby. If you look at the guts too, there's been a steady spiral down from a JCM800 to 900 to 2000 series, regarding things that can and will affect reliability and ease of service. The JVM guts look like a Line6 Vetta to me compared to a relatively clean 800.

Pete
          The other player in my current band plays a DSL and it sounds fine. I don't know about great, but quite good. I think one of the issues with the JCM2000s for some of us are that we grew up playing the older Marshalls and associate that sound with the name. The JCM2000s are a built-to-budget approximation of that sound, with a bunch of nifty features (channel switching, effects loops, etc.) thrown in. When I've played them, they sound fine, but they definitely don't have the big balls of the older Marshalls. OTOH, they do their thing at a fraction of the volume of the older Marshalls. I find it a bit funny reading here how you have to crank the new ones to get their best sound. They don't open up and warm up nearly like my old JMPs (1959 or 2203) would as the volume went up, but the JCM2000s sound much closer at a low volumes to their cranked sound. There's probably a statement in there about how much of a geezer I am!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
            My DSL 50 head was decent, but nothing to write home about. Same with my JCM 900 50 watt head. Part of the problem is I never got to use them in band settings, so I never REALLY opened them up. With that said, my Yamaha T50 killed any Marshall I've ever owned, even at lower volumes.
            but the T50 was a Soldano designed amp.. So yeah.

Comment

Playing a TSL since 99, still do. Like it quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                Sorry but I see these Korean made Epiphones all the time and they don't hold a candle to a USA Gibson. Quite frankly, most of the Epiphones I see are complete shit and most of the Gibsons I see are quite nice. There isn't a single Epiphone product that you don't have to tack on "for the money" after saying it's good.
                Actually, you have to luck out to find a nice Gibson. Even my SG Silverburst (which was far nicer then the one other one the store had in stock) isn't all that great, very thin finish (you can see woodgrain everywhere!) and the nut was fucked.. for how much it was, and considering it was a limited edition and all, that is unacceptable. And my new Epiphone Explorer Gothic is trouble free for just under half the price.

Comment

JCM2000's are good amps, but they definately have to be cranked up. Well, any good tube amp I know sounds better when the power tubes are cooking. But Marshalsl are of those kind that need to be cranked.

You still have enough of preamp distortion to practice at bedroom volumes, with JCM 2000 though, which is nice.
                  Because I don't say it
                  Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

That's interesting to me, that the guy could be so picky about 'silicone' wires in his cabs and then use DSL's. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I know a lot of guys who take cheap or easily replaceable gear to gigs because of theft or possibility of damage.

Plus I'd like to hear more of these $8k 1982 JCM 800s. That sounds wrong in the worst possible way, since I think you can still get real plexis for less than that.

Pete
                    Well i meant that "Some" have paid up to $8K for some of these pristine
                    early 80's JCM 800's A guy named Zakk.. "-)

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                      but the T50 was a Soldano designed amp.. So yeah.
                      Soldano designed, not Soldano made. But what does that have to do with anything? Early Soldanos were basically modded Marshalls... I've never really known Soldano to design amps with low volume in mind either, so again, your commentary doesn't make a lot of sense. With that said, there's PLENTY Yamaha T-series haters out there too...right Pete?

Comment

Originally posted by sakeido View Post
                        Actually, you have to luck out to find a nice Gibson. Even my SG Silverburst (which was far nicer then the one other one the store had in stock) isn't all that great, very thin finish (you can see woodgrain everywhere!) and the nut was fucked.. for how much it was, and considering it was a limited edition and all, that is unacceptable. And my new Epiphone Explorer Gothic is trouble free for just under half the price.
                        Dude, the thin finish is considered DESIRABLE! Woodgrain on a guitar is a good thing!
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          Well i meant that "Some" have paid up to $8K for some of these pristine
                          early 80's JCM 800's A guy named Zakk.. "-)
                          He's a moron then. Any idiot (yes, I'm calling him an idiot if he paid $8k for a freaking JCM800) can spend as much as they like, it doesn't add any value to the debate at hand. I've seen minty JCM800s go for around a grand, sometimes a little more, but nowhere near even 4k.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                            Soldano designed, not Soldano made. But what does that have to do with anything? Early Soldanos were basically modded Marshalls... I've never really known Soldano to design amps with low volume in mind either, so again, your commentary doesn't make a lot of sense. With that said, there's PLENTY Yamaha T-series haters out there too...right Pete?
                            My Soldano/Yamaha T series amp was a stinky turd, but I'm hoping that mine was some sort of underachiever. I'd gig with a Crate powerblock before I'd use the one I had, though.

Pete

Comment

My Soldano/Yamaha T series amp was a stinky turd, but I'm hoping that mine was some sort of underachiever. I'd gig with a Crate powerblock before I'd use the one I had, though.

Pete
                              :ROTF:

Consistency is the name of the game!

Comment

I've never spent any time with a DSL or TSL, but I have to say... The best live tones I've heard from local bands around here were from Marshalls, either 800's or DSL's. Maybe they are easier to dial in? Idiot proof? I dunno, but I've heard some great live tones for sure.

Makes me want to check one out.

Comment

Working...
                                X