Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for all you high end boutique multiple head owners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for all you high end boutique multiple head owners...

Do you always play them one at a time, in Mono? Or do you try combinations in "Stereo"? Im curious, as im in a trance this afternoon
    playing through Peavey Solid State 110 wt stereo amp, and 3 cabs!
    Man, with the GT-8 its awesome to my ears anyway. I would think
    that an Ubershall on one side, and a Splawn, or Diezel on the other side
    would be twice the sonic orgasm??

Dude it's about what your doing. Tone is tone but how your expressing yourself is what will answer this question.

If a Fender clean is all you need, then using 3 different heads and 6 cabs maynot achieve this. If your writing something that requires a certain tone, then yes you can mix amps and run stereo to achieve the desired tone. Sometimes you need a clean and drive tone at the same time to achieve your goal.
    The GT 8 is a good tool to learn some things man.....

Comment

do what you want with your time and money man. Dont get too worked up about it and enjoy the experience. Dont worry about what others do.
      Sam

Comment

Several heads is one thing, but what about several cabs? I've seen some guys use one cab for dry tone, and two cabs outside for wet sounds/effects, or something like that. Does it really make that big of a difference? And how do they set it up like that? Wondering if it would be worth it to make that kind of investment, concidering I don't use more than one amp/head at a time anyway.
        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

It depends on the amps in question. If you're going to do the stereo thing you want to uae amps that have a complimentary tone to each other. To much of a good thing can be too much at times.

Comment

I only play the Cobra, the others heads are gathering dust at the moment.
            1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I love mixing amps and cabs. Thats why I use a Vetta and a GT-8

Comment

[quote=jgcable;906065]I love mixing amps and cabs. Thats why I use a Vetta and a GT-8[/quote
                But wouldnt "Stereo" be better? 2 Vetta's?

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                  do what you want with your time and money man. Dont get too worked up about it and enjoy the experience. Dont worry about what others do.
                  I guess i come off this way...but i really was just curious. Having
                  4 great tube heads , and yet playing each one separately, just seems
                  odd to me. I would think that as soon as a guy got 2 heads, he would
                  naturally go stereo? Then i think of some here that have 11 tube heads!
                  They never play in stereo? Its always one at a time?

Comment

IMO, Stereo is fine if you play at home or maybe studio only. The idea is great and it "can" sound great. Just a pain to get the effect properly voiced live.

Generally doesn't get through so well live, conditions just limit it. Even pros that run wet/dry cabs, have some issues getting it across here and their if the sound guy isnt up to snuff.

However , I'm still ambivilant about running two different speakers in one cab as To get the sound you hear 5 feet away from it, ya gotta get the sound guy to mike both and blend them. Even that has its issues.
                    Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 04-12-2007, 07:27 AM.

Comment

i use a stereo rivera head live. i run several cabs from that head in a wet/dry setup. it is AWESOME in every possible way. the sound man puts a mic on 2 of my cabs and my sound is GREAT.

i have used multiple heads live and found it to be a bit of a pain to get them balanced on stage. that is why i use the rivera....1 preamp, 2 power amps. it kills.
                      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Robert Burns;906210]
                        Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        I love mixing amps and cabs. Thats why I use a Vetta and a GT-8[/quote
                        But wouldnt "Stereo" be better? 2 Vetta's?

You only need 1 vetta to run stereo mate
                        www.myspace.com/madeaband
                        www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

it depends for me. I have the ability to run 4 heads simultaneously. I like blending them for a full wall of tone. Sometimes I just use one amp but when I'm really into it I use 4
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

In the late 80's I ran my ADA MP1 in stereo into those ADA 2x12 Split Stack cabs. As mentioned above, it was nice in a room but live only one cab got mic'd anyway. Nowadays I only need the Bogner Uberschall I do however run two amps once in while when I use the piezo pickup from my EBMM Petrucci guitar. I send a signal to the SWR California Blonde acoustic amp and another to the clean channel on my electric amp. CLean sound sounds absolutely huge that way!

Rudy
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              In the late 80's I ran my ADA MP1 in stereo into those ADA 2x12 Split Stack cabs. As mentioned above, it was nice in a room but live only one cab got mic'd anyway. Nowadays I only need the Bogner Uberschall I do however run two amps once in while when I use the piezo pickup from my EBMM Petrucci guitar. I send a signal to the SWR California Blonde acoustic amp and another to the clean channel on my electric amp. CLean sound sounds absolutely huge that way!

Rudy
                              www.wickedrocks.com
                              sorry to hijack, but how do ya like that EBMM? Been thinking about snagging one of those.
                              www.myspace.com/madeaband
                              www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Working...
                              X