Pickup opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup opinions wanted

I’d like some opinions here. I have a few guitars – various tuning (A440, Drop D, ½ step down, full step down), with different pickups. Mostly Duncans and DiMarzios, but a Bill Lawrence and a Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat (had also tried an Anderson p’up as well). Was doing prog and metal – still doing some of that, but have been getting more into the Kotzen/Timmons/Gilbert/Doug Aldrich bluesy shred type stuff. That Kotzen you-tube clip with the Cornford amps is amazing ! Great tone !
    I have a 77 Les Paul standard that currently has a Duncan Custom in it, which is good, but I want a change. It is a Mahogany body, with Maple neck.
    I have heard some great stuff about the Rio Grande pu’s… specifically the Bar-B-Cue bucker. Also some of the Bare Knuckle stuff, as well as the Suhr Aldrich set.
    For amps, I currently have a 5150, ENGL Savage 120, Cameron Modded 50 watt JMP, a JMP1… running celestion 4 x12’s or Genz Benz, depending on the tone I want, my mood, the tune, and if I am playing 7 string or dropped tuning.
    Can anyone share their thoughts/experiences with these pu’ups or others?
    Thanks

how about WCRs? I've played with a Charvie wich had those, sounded amazing.

check out those Anthony Steele's clips http://www.crcoils.com/Sound_Clips/G...ood_clips.html
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

dude, try the Custom Custom. its exactly what you're looking for.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I have 2 BareKnuckle Miracle Man pickups, both in Les Pauls. Its right up your alley.....
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I really like the Duncan Distortion and JB. Probably like the Distortion a bit better. My friend has a Stan Hineseley Kashmir in his Epiphone Genesis, and it absolutely destroys the burstbuckers and JB he had in there before. Stan also makes some higher-output stuff that I plan to try in my next guitar.

Comment

If you're already using a high gain amp, lower output pups seem to work best. A set of Duncan '59s would be a good choice, or the '59 bridge paired up with a Pearly Gates or Jazz neck.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1 for SD Jazz in the neck.
              In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Steves Special, Air Norton

Comment

Try a WCR/RS shredder thats what Anthony Steele uses.Its an unbalanced coil type pickup 1 coil is 9k and 1 is 7k and boy does it have some punch.Check out his sound clips at rsguitarworks.net go to clients and scroll down.He's a hell of a blues player thats for sure.
                  I'm a big fan of the WCRs and Frailins just outstanding products.I just ordered a Frailn blues special single 10% over and a Fralin /RS PAF for my next project and I cant wait.
                  Last edited by straycat; 04-15-2007, 07:43 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X