Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JVM 410

It's been a great week to be a gear slut...this all showed up:

It's agreed that Bogner cabs and Les Pauls are a no brainer...

The new JVM is stunning. This amp might be the best deal out there right now. If you can get your hands on one, do it.

It gets a rating

Steve E

Congrats Steve!! Can you post some clips of the Marshall? It's one of the amps I'm interested in but I haven't found one to try yet, or even heard any sound clips. The one we got in at the store were I teach on weekends was gone the same day.

Comment

I finally tried one of those JVM's at Guitar Center. Decent, I couldnt really crank it, but the features alone would make me want one. Although a head alone costs as much as my whole rig at this point
      www.myspace.com/demonboundmusic

Originally posted by Endrik
      the more you masturbate the less you need to bang the hottest chicks

Comment

Holy Shit!! I was just going to start a thread about this amp I am leaning this way also. Lots of features and the gain and distortion is supposed to be fantastic. Is it? The footswitch is a little different isn`t it. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
          Holy Shit!! I was just going to start a thread about this amp I am leaning this way also. Lots of features and the gain and distortion is supposed to be fantastic. Is it? The footswitch is a little different isn`t it. Thanks-Jack.

There is more gain on tap than any person really will ever need. The amp is actually really easy to use. The 4 channels all have independant EQ, and three modes each green / orange / red - each having more gain than the last. I've just used the footswitch as it came from the factory, although it is totally programable.

I recently got some recording stuff I'm trying to learn how to use and will attempt to get some clips up over the weekend.

Steve E

Comment

Cool Steve Can`t wait to here it!! What style of music are you going to record bro? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

can't believe you sold your Cameron!

Comment

I've heard some of the build quality is a little suspect - no big deal if you leave your amp in the same spot, but for gigging I'm going to wait a bit and see.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                  I've heard some of the build quality is a little suspect - no big deal if you leave your amp in the same spot, but for gigging I'm going to wait a bit and see.

Pete
                  Have you played thru one yet Pete? I meen, you can look at a Marshall and tell it is built like a toy compared to a Mesa Boogie, but damn them Marshalls they sell us on tone Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
                    can't believe you sold your Cameron!
                    Yeah...me either

It's all good though - the JVM gets all kinds of Cameronish tones, and if / when Mark finally gets his own line off the ground I'll get one of those. I really needed something a bit more versatile with some channel switching capabilites, the Cameron was pretty much a one trick pony - albeit a damn good one trick it does.

As far as the build quality issue goes, its nothing more than alot of speculation from more than a few people who have never seen or even heard this amp. I will 100% agree that something had to be sacrificed in order to get as many whistles and bells under the hood. I will also say that I've owned a cross section of some of the finest amps ever built and this is right up there in terms of tone. It also wasn't $3000 +.....who knows, next week it could be back to the Ecstacy.

FWIW - this is what I've owned thatI can compare it too:

Amps owned in the last three years:
                    Fender Prosonic
                    Mesa Nomad
                    Fargen Mini Plex
                    Soldano SLO
                    Soldano Astroverb
                    Bogner Ecstacy
                    Bogner Shiva
                    Bogner Metropolis
                    Aiken Intruder
                    Aiken Sabre
                    Aiken Tomcat
                    Mojave Coyote
                    Mojave Scorpion
                    Mojave Peacemaker
                    Splawn modded Marshall 1987x
                    Suhr modded Marshall JMP 50 watter
                    Cameron modded Marshall 1959 SLP
                    VHT Deliverance 60
                    Marshall JVM 410H

The aiken Intruder and the JVM are whats left standing - although the Aiken is truly the only one not in any danger of going down the road.

Steve E

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                      but damn them Marshalls they sell us on tone Jack.
                      Marshalls haven't had since before you were born! Or at least the 80s...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post

I've heard these new ones sound great from too many people who usually aren't Marshall fans to discount them entirely: I've avoided playing one because I don't want to get all excited, pick one up and then have it go down at a gig because I wasn't insanely careful.

I take my own equipment to gigs, and it rides in a car - I don't use road cases, and while my stuff isn't abused, it isn't babied either.

My take on the JVM is to wait and see how reliable they prove to be (I've read about plastic pot shafts that are loose as hell, that's strike one) and for the price to go down. I know if you buy one new you get a warranty, but the warranty isn't going to help me when the damn thing blows up onstage and I can't get it fixed for several weeks.

I'm hopeful though, the more people that buy them the more we'll know how sturdy they are.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by speed monkey View Post
                          As far as the build quality issue goes, its nothing more than alot of speculation from more than a few people who have never seen or even heard this amp. I will 100% agree that something had to be sacrificed in order to get as many whistles and bells under the hood. I will also say that I've owned a cross section of some of the finest amps ever built and this is right up there in terms of tone. It also wasn't $3000 +.....who knows, next week it could be back to the Ecstacy.
                          Steve - It's not speculation IMHO to be leery of a new of Marshall. I'm a bit curious - how can tone (since I've never heard one) predicate reliability? My personal experiences with friend's TSL's leads me to believe that this amp could be a real problem for people who take their amps out of the bedroom and rely on them at gigs. I had a JSX that was gigged around 50 times, played at outdoor shows, played at places that had bad power, etc - and it never broke down. I'm just going to wait and see how the reports come in before I get too starry eyed about Marshall's latest.

Might be different if I played in my home only and it never was moved, or if I owned a recording studio, but for my needs the jury is still out on a product that is untested by the public and comes from a company who's latest history of amp reliability isn't the best.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post

Are you sure John. I was born in 1969. I think the 2203 was a good amp in it`s day, well the old ones anyway I agree with you also Pete, that I am waiting and seeing about the reliability of this amp. I have heard the same as you, that the pots are sloppy with too much play, that isn`t good at all. Marshall should know better than to use cheap components I am however going out soon to try one of these out if I can find one and a new 2203X and compare them, although I will nead a distortion pedal for the 2203X. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                              Steve - It's not speculation IMHO to be leery of a new of Marshall. I'm a bit curious - how can tone (since I've never heard one) predicate reliability? My personal experiences with friend's TSL's leads me to believe that this amp could be a real problem for people who take their amps out of the bedroom and rely on them at gigs. I had a JSX that was gigged around 50 times, played at outdoor shows, played at places that had bad power, etc - and it never broke down. I'm just going to wait and see how the reports come in before I get too starry eyed about Marshall's latest.

Might be different if I played in my home only and it never was moved, or if I owned a recording studio, but for my needs the jury is still out on a product that is untested by the public and comes from a company who's latest history of amp reliability isn't the best.

Pete
                              Hey Pete -

I totally agree with what you're saying and understand some folks reluctance to jump in feet first.

As far as tone predicating reliability, I guess the only comparison I have is the chick who is insanely hot looking and just rocking in bed, who turns into the psycho hose beast after a few nights out on the town... You had no idea that was going to happen, but she was a crap load of fun until everything broke down

I respect the wait and see approach, but also suggest you get your hands on one when you can, it's pretty killer. There's some pretty serious amp sluts out there who are more than just a little sold on it.

Steve E

Comment

Working...
                              X