Carvin MTS 3200 Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin MTS 3200 Head

I think I am buying a minty 3 year old MTS and was wondering what you guys thought of these? Do you like the EL34`s or 6L6`s. What tubes do you like(brand). I am going to try to coax old Testament out of this thing Do I nead a distortion pedal for it? Thanks-Jack.

Comes with stock 5881s (which are 6L6s, if I recall). I've heard lots of good things about the hi-gain Eurotubes tubes. I had the 2x12 for awhile and am planning on getting the head/cab sooner or later. Testament may be pushing the amp a bit hard, but so long as you're playing it with gain on about 6 or 7 and volume above 3 or 4, you can get some sweet tones out of the amp. Doesn't sound as good at bedroom volumes, though.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Originally posted by thetruthguy View Post
      Doesn't sound as good at bedroom volumes, though.
      Not a problem. Jack dimed his VHT UL 100 in his living room.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Kabong View Post
        Not a problem. Jack dimed his VHT UL 100 in his living room.
        Well, you have a point there Oh and it was a CLX Either way, I don`t do bedroom levels and I usually start 3-4 and work up quickly from there I am glad to here it does metal well as I play thrash and speed metal Thanks-Jack.

Comment

The MTS is a nice amp. Try the integrated quad set of power tubes.

Comment

John, what is the integrated quad of power tubes? Do you meen a matched set? Does the MTS nead to be biased more hot than stock? John, for my style, what do you think I should use-EL34`s/6CA7`s or 6L6`s? Thanks fellas-Jack.

Comment

Bob from Eurotubes can sell you a set of EL34's and 5881's. 2 of each.
              Carvin amps are bias'd cold so Bob can sell you a set to drop right in without bias'ing.

Personally... you should try the amp out for a few weeks before you retube it. You may like it better stock.

Comment

OK John, I will try it out first. Last time I got set up from Bob with a full JJ tube set it made my amp really dark with no articulation. That was 6L6`s and the pre-amp tubes, all high gain for a Peavey Ultra 60 combo. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                  OK John, I will try it out first. Last time I got set up from Bob with a full JJ tube set it made my amp really dark with no articulation. That was 6L6`s and the pre-amp tubes, all high gain for a Peavey Ultra 60 combo. Jack.
                  Lots of times... dark with no articulation has more to do with the cabinet and speakers than the tubes.

Comment

That could have been the case, because with just the Celestion G12T-75 speaker in the combo, it was more articulate than my Madison cabinet 4x12 with the Madison GK12-85`s in it. Those speakers are kinda scooped as it is. I am still using that cab, but would like to replace the speakers with either English Celestion G12T-75`s or something from Emminence that sound like them. Jack.

Comment

OK, I got the MTS head-WooHoo I love this thing!! Lots of tones in this thing. Great clean/warm clean channel. The distortion is pretty good, but not quite enough so I smack that with my Boss MT-2, but with the level all the way up and the distortion all the way down, perfect!! I even like the clean channel with the MT-2 the same way, old AC/DC all the way. I love this amp. The only weird thing is the Ohm-50/100 and Bias switches in the back are recessed about 1/3" into the chassis. Is that normal? I have to use a screwdriver or something to wok the switches because they are recessed in so far. Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                        OK, I got the MTS head-WooHoo I love this thing!! Lots of tones in this thing. Great clean/warm clean channel. The distortion is pretty good, but not quite enough so I smack that with my Boss MT-2, but with the level all the way up and the distortion all the way down, perfect!! I even like the clean channel with the MT-2 the same way, old AC/DC all the way. I love this amp. The only weird thing is the Ohm-50/100 and Bias switches in the back are recessed about 1/3" into the chassis. Is that normal? I have to use a screwdriver or something to wok the switches because they are recessed in so far. Jack.

Thats normal. They are all that way.

Comment

Thanks John!! These amps are a best buy on the used market and this one is never leaving me bro Jack.

Comment

Hey, Slayer: Did you get rid of your Carvin X100B head, to get the MTS? Glad to see you like the MTS. I tried one out, that some dude was selling, down in Shadyside, around last November, and thought it was pretty nice. He was selling the entire 1/2 stack for $550, but, sadly, I got screwed on my paycheck, and the remaining money had to go to Christmas and bills. Still, I'm now pretty happy, as I picked up a mint-condition Laney 50 watt AOR haed, to go with my matching AOR cab. Now I'm cruising the web, like you, trying to find out what are the best tubes for it. Best of luck on your Carvin. You live over in Baldwin, right? Maybe we'll get together, and jam, sometime.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                              Hey, Slayer: Did you get rid of your Carvin X100B head, to get the MTS? Glad to see you like the MTS. I tried one out, that some dude was selling, down in Shadyside, around last November, and thought it was pretty nice. He was selling the entire 1/2 stack for $550, but, sadly, I got screwed on my paycheck, and the remaining money had to go to Christmas and bills. Still, I'm now pretty happy, as I picked up a mint-condition Laney 50 watt AOR haed, to go with my matching AOR cab. Now I'm cruising the web, like you, trying to find out what are the best tubes for it. Best of luck on your Carvin. You live over in Baldwin, right? Maybe we'll get together, and jam, sometime.
                              Brentwood, but you were close $550 for a half stack would have been really nice. I would love the matching 4x12 cab with the older GT-100 speakers in it. Where are you located? I could bring my amp(s) and guitars over I still have the X100B, but I still may sell it, but I am on the fence about it. It is having a some rise and fall volume issues, not sure what it is Here is a pic of them both together Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X