Crybaby classic fasel review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crybaby classic fasel review

Decided to setup a second rig, one built around rack effects instead of my GT8. This meant I had to source a wah pedal. Went to a few music stores because of course, I waited until the last second... and found a crybaby classic fasel. Here are the good and the bad things I found about it:

1) It's true bypass. NO tone suck when it's off. I even had built a true bypass box to use vintage effects that I didn't want to mod, and tried it with the crybaby. NO difference at all. Score one for Dunlop.

2) It sounds killer. I know, some wahs can be modded, but this one just has a certain sweetness that I've never found with mods. And yes, I've owned very nicely modded wahs (take a bow JGCable) and modded some myself afterwards. I don't think you're going to be able to replace the tone and response of a different inductor with a resistor or cap change.

3) It has a battery compartment you can access without taking the bottom of the wah off. Hooray!

Bad things:

If you're going to mod one of these, forget it. The board has tiny surface mount components. If you like it, great. If you listen to it and think that maybe just a little tweak or component change here or there would be better, forget it, because you are stuck with how it sounds.

I give it a thumbs up overall, I've played a Teese and a Fulltone Clyde, and I think the fasel classic compares well to them. One of these days I'm going to buy a BYOC wah kit for the hell of it and build my own custom kickass wah, but until then, the classic kicks butt and is pretty cheap - $99 new.

Pete

Great review Pete. I have a Fasel Crybaby too. Its outstanding.
    It sounds as good as any wah I have ever modded.
    I still think that the Bad Horsie 2 sounds a little better when used strictly for metal type solo's.

Comment

I like the Bad Horsie 2 also, but it's size sucks. Won't fit well on my small pedalboard at all.

Pete

Comment

Yep, I use one too. Great wah sounds.

Comment

Working...
        X