Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh god...now Burns wants a Stereo Tube rack amp !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
    John, how does that work? I'm not understanding this at all. Whether you use a modelling or tube preamp into the power amp, different power tubes are going to change the sound. El34s are going to have more mids and 6L6s are going to have a tighter low end, more extended highs and a percieved 'scoop' in the middle.

Pete
    Pete.. technically it doesn't matter in this scenario. You are correct. Different power tubes will give you different tones but with a modeling processor like a GT-8 or whatever you could use cabinet modeling or mic selections or EQ or whatever and mimic whatever sonic differences you perceive between 6l6's and EL34's.
    I tried it first hand with my T100.
    There was no difference between the 2 types of power tubes that a couple of little twists of a knob of my GT6 didn't take care of.

Comment

The T100 makes for a good modeler power amp. It is very hi-fi. I didn't like it very much with traditional tube preamps that much though.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
        The T100 makes for a good modeler power amp. It is very hi-fi. I didn't like it very much with traditional tube preamps that much though.

It seems like a common theme but.. I agree with the above statement.
        The T100 is very hi-fi which makes for a great power amp for a modeler like the GT-8.

Comment

I got my MB Stereo 2:50, brand spankin new, delivered to my door, for around $750.00. Not a defect, mark, blem or issue w/it. Sealed in da box, never demoed, etc. It was purchased and shipped from an authorized MB dealer. Cheaper than new on Ebay for sure! So SHOP AROUND!!

I went through much the same thought processes you are going through now, not too long ago. I demoed everything I could manage to get my hands on. I went everywhere within travelin distance, I called every bud I knew who had gear, had access to gear, and/or had an experienced opinion that I could trust. In the end it got down to versatility for me. I wanted to be able to play out at nearly any size venue short of huge and also be able to play at moderate to lower levels at home with the same rig. I ended up w/the MB Stereo 2:50 as the main piece of my rack. I'm still dickin w/sound/tone options for home use. But I always have anyway. I try different stuff all the time and I always will. It works fine at home and worked fine for me when I played out. But that's just me.

If I had to do it again I think I would still have the 2:50..... Maybe the 2:90 or 2:95. I didn't get to demo either of those to know if it might have been overkill for home use. So maybe either of those might have been the one over the 2:50. Price was and woulda been a factor too. Not sure what I coulda acquired a 2:90 or 2:95 for. And I legally stole the 2:50, so..... Budget had to factor being dead set on forking up for either a Prophesy II pre/processor unit or a Rocktron Xpression w/an Engle pre. Price either way was about the same until I landed a sweet deal on brand new Proph II.

I can't say it loud enough in type.... Do your homework and shop around. Nuthin sux more than buyers remorse when you've just dropped +/- a grand or more on gear.
          In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by T@rgetDrone View Post
            I got my MB Stereo 2:50, brand spankin new, delivered to my door, for around $750.00. Not a defect, mark, blem or issue w/it. Sealed in da box, never demoed, etc. It was purchased and shipped from an authorized MB dealer. Cheaper than new on Ebay for sure! So SHOP AROUND!!

I went through much the same thought processes you are going through now, not too long ago. I demoed everything I could manage to get my hands on. I went everywhere within travelin distance, I called every bud I knew who had gear, had access to gear, and/or had an experienced opinion that I could trust. In the end it got down to versatility for me. I wanted to be able to play out at nearly any size venue short of huge and also be able to play at moderate to lower levels at home with the same rig. I ended up w/the MB Stereo 2:50 as the main piece of my rack. I'm still dickin w/sound/tone options for home use. But I always have anyway. I try different stuff all the time and I always will. It works fine at home and worked fine for me when I played out. But that's just me.

If I had to do it again I think I would still have the 2:50..... Maybe the 2:90 or 2:95. I didn't get to demo either of those to know if it might have been overkill for home use. So maybe either of those might have been the one over the 2:50. Price was and woulda been a factor too. Not sure what I coulda acquired a 2:90 or 2:95 for. And I legally stole the 2:50, so..... Budget had to factor being dead set on forking up for either a Prophesy II pre/processor unit or a Rocktron Xpression w/an Engle pre. Price either way was about the same until I landed a sweet deal on brand new Proph II.

I can't say it loud enough in type.... Do your homework and shop around. Nuthin sux more than buyers remorse when you've just dropped +/- a grand or more on gear.
            Thanks for the great advice my friend! Im shopping.

Comment

Robert - go to GC. I got my Boogie 2:100 for brand new for just over $600. Apparently they can't sell them - the thing had been there since they got it. I even got them to throw in a set of new power tubes

The 2:100 is a nice power amp - it can get way beyond loud if you need it to as well. I also have a VHT 2502 which prefer most of the time but the 2:100 has crazy good bottom end.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
              X