slapback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slapback

ok, I hear the term slapback echo used a lot but I still don't really understand what it is. can anyone tell me how it's different from any other delay or tape echo? what pedals is it on?

there are lots of effects that I don't even begin to understand.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

It's just a really fast, one note delay/echo/repeat sound that slaps back right away after picking it.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks Joe. that makes sense.

I guess it's more my understanding of the nomenclature I'm working on, rather than the effects themselves. but I always want to learn more.

everyone else feel free to add any addl info. all perspectives are welcome.

Comment

And if i dont live by it!! I love that collosium "my guitar is hitting that
        wall 300 feet in the back, and then coming back at me a second later"
        sound. Makes your best lead tone seem huge imo. I like about 900 ms
        with feedback at about 5. Just one ghost repeat, fading away

Comment

that coliseum sound isn't slapback. See Joe's post above. Slapback is that quick single repeat right after you play a note. Check out some 50s rock'n'roll leads for examples. Or some modern rockabilly, those guys get off on that shit
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
            thanks Joe. that makes sense.

I guess it's more my understanding of the nomenclature I'm working on, rather than the effects themselves. but I always want to learn more.

everyone else feel free to add any addl info. all perspectives are welcome.
            No problem. I should also add that delay nowadays is usually digital (could also be analog), and tape delay/echo is the older, warmer analog technology.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just turn knobs until I get the slapback sound, but I'm not sure what the exact ms is. I'd guess somewhere around 200 ms, maybe?

Comment

If you want a nice slapback delay sound, think of the intro to Welcome to Jungle. Thats what Slash seems to be using there.

Comment

That's not really Slapback either, since it has Decay.

Best example: Led Zeppelin; Hot Dog. The intro riff is slapback defined.

Slapback has only the one repeat of the original note, and is very fast (16th note or faster), and is always or almost always the same volume as the original note.

It should sound like the same note picked twice rapidly and choked off after each pick.
                  Last edited by Newc; 04-17-2007, 02:10 PM.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks for the info, everyone.
                    much appreciated!

Comment

"We're gonna rock this town" - Stray Cats

This song has good slapback delay in it.
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X