Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JCM800 vs. Vetta - Trade or not? (sort of long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM800 vs. Vetta - Trade or not? (sort of long)

I was thinking about trading my JCM800 2210 head in against a Vetta combo or half stack and paying the difference. The local Guitar Center has a used 2210 (head only) and they're asking about $1399.00 for it. The department manager said he would go about $700-800.00 in trade on my 2210. He said that their 2210 has been there for over a year with no takers, so he couldn't see going any higher. That didn't sound like such a horrible deal, so I was seriously thinking about trading the 2210 in.

But then I read this poll thread started by Fragle asking the exact same thing:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...ighlight=vetta

Everyone makes some great points in this thread about how the 2210's are getting hard to come by. Believe it or not, I bought mine for only $600.00 in an Austin pawn shop in 1993.

So what I might do is just hang on until my income tax refund is back and flat-out buy a Vetta. I love the Marshall, but it's totally a one-trick pony. There isn't a decent clean sound anywhere to be had in it. Anything close to clean sounds harsh and clunky. Those of you who own or have owned this amp will attest to this.

What do you guys think? I don't need a house full of amps and I (believe it or not) don't have any sentimental value wrapped up in the Marshall. I never gigged with it; it's only been played at bedroom volumes. I would love the versatility of the Vetta and especially the ability to switch between sounds with the Floorboard.

So the minor delimma is:

1. $700-800.00 trade value on the Marshall (assuming that they don't change their minds if I bring it in; it's VERY clean). I'm sure I could get more by selling it outright, but I don't want the hassle of strangers coming by and trying it out and I don't want to put it on consignment somewhere or E-Bay it.

2. I have a POD 2.3 and absolutely love it. The Vetta is supposed to sound even better.

3. The Marshall sounds awesome, but ONLY with a Metal Muff pedal and a GE-7 EQ. It has a very Vai/Satriani-esque warm, singing lead sound. The Vetta can get this sound with no pedals.

4. In the configuration mentioned in Item #3, it's very hissy sounding. the Vetta is nice and quiet.

5. I love the Line 6 stuff, but would I miss the Marshall?

Thoughts and/or suggestions are appreciated!
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Let me also toss this into the mix.... I've never dimed the Marshall or even came close. Therefore, since I'm running a distortion box and EQ inline between the guitar and amp to get my sound, plus getting all of the hiss that goes with it, I guess I haven't been enjoying all of that "Marshally goodness" all along. That's another factor I'm considering.

Comment

If you get rid of it, don't trade it. Sell it outright. They still have their 2210 because $1399 is ridiculous for a JCM800 2210. I wouldn't pay much over $1000 for one, and it had better be clean enough to eat off of. You will NEVER get a good deal on a trade with a music store, as they are already figuring how much profit they are going to make on your trade.

Why don't you wait, buy a Vetta, and compare it in your home to the 2210? If you buy the Vetta used, then you'll be able to sell it and get your $ back - keep them both for awhile and see what you prefer. If you prefer the Vetta, then sell the Marshall, you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of it. If I have $ at the time you sell, *I* may buy it. If you have the luxury of waiting awhile and be able to compare the two, I'd do that for sure.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
        Let me also toss this into the mix.... I've never dimed the Marshall or even came close. Therefore, since I'm running a distortion box and EQ inline between the guitar and amp to get my sound, plus getting all of the hiss that goes with it, I guess I haven't been enjoying all of that "Marshally goodness" all along. That's another factor I'm considering.
        2210s get most of their tone from the preamp. Sure, it might sound a little better cranked, but it's not like a vintage plexi.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
          2210s get most of their tone from the preamp. Sure, it might sound a little better cranked, but it's not like a vintage plexi.

Pete
          Yeah. Not only that, but the 2210 and 2205 models have a solid-state diode rectifier section, similar to the JCM900's (if I heard this correctly). So I'm thinking the same thing; cranked will only make a minimal of difference.

Comment

Yeah. Not only that, but the 2210 and 2205 models have a solid-state diode rectifier section, similar to the JCM900's (if I heard this correctly). So I'm thinking the same thing; cranked will only make a minimal of difference.
            Well, they have CLIPPING diodes in the signal path. If you like how they sound, then it's no big deal. One of my favorite marshalls (Silver Jubilee) used diode clipping and they sound great.

Most marshalls have a solid state diode rectifier section, it's what turns the AC from the wall into DC for the amp to use. Any tube amp that doesn't have a tube rectifier has a solid state diode rectifier section.

Pete

Comment

I'd just buy a used Vetta I head from the 'bay then upgrade the SW to the latest version. Viola, you have a Vetta and get to keep the Marshall too.

FWIW I sold my Jubilee after spending a few months with my first Vetta and I don't miss it at all. I also sold a Fender and a Boogie and don't miss them either. YMMV
              Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I would save up and buy a used Vetta. if you like it that much and you are not jonesing the Marshall then sell it.

Comment

Slight Update: Well, I won't be trying out the Vetta in the local Guitar Center. I just called and was told that "we don't carry the Vetta. We only carry the Spider and the Flextone."

Guitar Center SUCKS.

Comment

I have a line on a used Flextone II XL. Anyone have an opinion on these?

Comment

I have a line on a used Flextone II XL. Anyone have an opinion on these?

The Flextone 3 is a nice practice amp.

Don't settle for anything less than a Vetta.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        The Flextone 3 is a nice practice amp.

Don't settle for anything less than a Vetta.
                        This is a Flextome II, not a III. It's the older sound that I like better than the current Flextones.

Here's what frustrates me, though; everyone around here only carries the entry-level crap in everything, except for the occasional mid-level gear. Remember my rant about the non-availability of USA Jacksons recently? Same principle here. The guy at GC just flat out told me, "we don't carry the Vetta." Period.

I just can't see buying a $2500.00 half stack online that I haven't even played yet.

Comment

since when doesn't a GC carry Vetta's? they always have those.

can't you sell your amp to GC anyway and just buy the Vetta off Musician's Friend or such?
                          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                            since when doesn't a GC carry Vetta's? they always have those.

can't you sell your amp to GC anyway and just buy the Vetta off Musician's Friend or such?
                            The GC here seems to follow the 80/20 rule; 80 percent of buyers want 20 percent of the available gear, according to the bean counters.

I would actually rather order it from Musician's Friend, but I just can't see paying that much for an amp I haven't tried out firsthand.

Comment

This is a Flextome II, not a III. It's the older sound that I like better than the current Flextones.

Here's what frustrates me, though; everyone around here only carries the entry-level crap in everything, except for the occasional mid-level gear. Remember my rant about the non-availability of USA Jacksons recently? Same principle here. The guy at GC just flat out told me, "we don't carry the Vetta." Period.

I just can't see buying a $2500.00 half stack online that I haven't even played yet.

Typo on my part. The Flextone II XL is a fine practice amp.

There is no substitute for a Vetta.

The GT-8 is a real nice product though providing you have a decent tube power amp for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X