Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps

I am looking to buy a new amp, and am really lost as to what kind of a sound I am looking for... Well, that's not true. I want a nice, high-gain sound. I adore Chuck Schuldiner and all of his work, I would kill to have a setup just like him.
    However, I'm still in college, so money is a bit of an issue for the next 2-3 years, haha... ah... Anyway,
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

I... am sorry I posted this in the wrong forum. I'm normally not bad at this
    -- The Midnighter
    Administrate!

Chuck used Marshall AVTs if I'm not mistaken. Whats the max you are willing to spend? This could also be moved to the amps and effects forum

Comment

get a used Marshall AVT50 off eBay for $300 or so. the gain tones are awesome, but I sold the one I had to buy the Vetta, since I needed a bigger variety of tones than the AVT50 could supply. it has like no clean tone, but the gain is Marshall heaven.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Yeah, no more than $300 CDN I'm guessing.
        Thanks for the ti-p Skorb, I'll look into that amp
        -- The Midnighter
        Administrate!

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
          Chuck used Marshall AVTs if I'm not mistaken.
          No, he used the original Valvestates, the 8100 series. The old 8100 and 8200 series are better than the newer line and AVTs.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yup the awesome Chuck used Marshall valvestates. and in his own words "a cheap multi-fx unit" for all his cool effect sounds. That's it. He had a BC Rich (?) with Dimarzio X2N humbuckers. If I remember right, it was a digitech fx unit that he used.
            But beware, marshall quality has gone down the drain and from what I've heard right here on this forum, the new marshall amps sound nowhere close to what they did during Chuck's time.
            Sam

Comment

Yeah, valvestates are cheaper as well I believe (don't quote me on this, I could be high at the moment).

They have abunch of the AVT's and Valvestats at Musicstop down here anyway. May-as-well go abuse their amps, and see which one you like better anyway.

The problem might arise in shipping a combo amp across the border... pretty big.

Comment

Okay, there was only one AVT50, 5 days left and 9 people just bid in the last 5 minutes or so. xD
                I'm going to try and buy something retail, perhaps. eBay seems unstable.

I was looking at the Marshall AVT20X.. thoughts?
                -- The Midnighter
                Administrate!

Comment

Originally posted by Maikeru View Post
                  I was looking at the Marshall AVT20X.. thoughts?
                  yes! I read a column in Guitarworld by the great Yngwie and he had a pic of his setup at home for "spur of the moment" playing. His guitar -> some OD pedal (maybe his signature DOD) -> Boss NS-2 -> Marshall AVT20. There you go! Used by the Shredmaster himself. Again, the new ones are not as good as the old ones blah, blah
                  Sam

Comment

Ohhh man, that's excellent! I love the sound he makes.
                    Thanks for that little tidbit Emperor Black!
                    -- The Midnighter
                    Administrate!

Comment

yup! love Yngwie's playing and his tone! Glad I could help. :cheers:
                      Sam

Comment

Pricey, I guess, but I like my TriAxis- you can get any tone your little heart could desire out of one! I love my Riveras, too....Yeah, too much....(Either of these would be close to double the stated budget)
                        Some of the less expensive Boogies sound killer, too- worth considering!

Comment

Boogies?
                          Can you give me a link?
                          -- The Midnighter
                          Administrate!

Comment

Nice thread title!
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Good read:

The higher-end Boogies are expensive....even a lot of the used ones. Keep an eye out and you could find one- probably some of the less fancy combos. They made some stomp boxes, too- I also have one of the cheesy little Marshall practice amps that sound good for what they are. Mine's the MG10CD. Good luck!
                              Last edited by Mr.Lizardman; 04-18-2007, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X