Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-in-one amps for taking to jams?

Hi All,

In a short little while, some friends and I will get together and have semi-regular jams.

For various reasons, it'll for sure NOT be at my place, so I'll need a fairly small and mobile rig.

At home, I usually use my GT-6 into my Marshall DSL201 (1x12) combo. From previous experience, moving the whole rig to a buddy's house for jamming is just too tedious and too heavy for me (especially since I am recovering from serious wrist and toe injuries)

I am looking for a setup that will allow me to just bring one guitar, one cable, and one small combo amp. (and maybe a separate tuner... would be a plus if the amp has a tuner built in) Since I don't want to bring my GT-6, the amp pretty much has to be a modeling amp.

Haven't decided on anything yet, but so far the main contestants are

1. Line6 Spider III 15
    2. VOX AD15VT
    3. VOX DA15

Among these 3, which one would you consider the best for Hard Rock / Metal jams?

And which other small combos should I look into? I heard that VOX is releasing a new, separate line of high gain modeling amps, but haven't been able to find any details on that.

Thanks in advance

For SS you need at least 60 watts and a 1 x 12 speaker.
    For tubes you need at least 30 watts and a 1 x 12 speaker

I would suggest a Flextone 3 although your current rig seems pretty versatile and transportable to me.

Comment

Oh, I should mention that we won't be playing with a drummer or bassist.... it's just gonna be myself and another guitarist, sometimes with jam tracks / backing tracks, sometimes not.

And the other guitarists won't have anything but a small combo, so I don't think I need a lot of power either.

I realize that my current home rig would be considered portable by most, but as I said in my original post, I am recovering from some serious wrist and foot injuries, so even my DSL201 is too heavy at this point.

Comment

IMO...a Roland Cube 30 with effects. It can be a faux Mesa...Marshall...
        Vox, with great chorus, Delay and solid projection . $280.00
        Tough, and reliable too. Heck, everything Boss/Roland is!

Comment

Actually, I think $280 is for the bass version. $230 is about what the guitar version goes for. Less for used on ebay.

Comment

Plug your GT-6 into his home stereo

Comment

Cube 30.Fantastic little amps.I also run an OD pedal in front for solos.

Comment

My vote goes to the Vox AD15VT. I had the 50W and it was the best bang-for-the-buck modeling amp I've heard.
                Scott

Comment

Vox AD15VT or AD30VT. Vox modeling is some of the best. If you want tiny, Roland Micro-Cube, runs on batteries too. Sound amazing for it's size and can get pretty loud.
                  My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Chang View Post

And which other small combos should I look into? I heard that VOX is releasing a new, separate line of high gain modeling amps, but haven't been able to find any details on that.
                    I read about the new Vox amps in a news post on H-C. They seem to be based on the current chrome series Valvetronix line (AD15/30/50/100VT), but with more aggressive amp models for harder tone. No mention of availability and I haven't seen anything online yet. Vox hasn't even announced anything on their own website yet.
                    My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Originally posted by cbope View Post
                      I read about the new Vox amps in a news post on H-C. They seem to be based on the current chrome series Valvetronix line (AD15/30/50/100VT), but with more aggressive amp models for harder tone. No mention of availability and I haven't seen anything online yet. Vox hasn't even announced anything on their own website yet.
                      Exactly, that's where I first read about it, but nothing anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor View Post
                        Plug your GT-6 into his home stereo
                        Without going into too much detail, it won't be in someone's house, so there won't be stereos to plug into etc... so everything's gotta come out of the actual amp.

Comment

Seems like the consensus is overwhelmingly in favor of the various VOX modeling amps. With Roland Cube getting good votes as well.

I'll go around the stores to test drive both soon, thanks to all those who replied

Comment

Working...
                          X