Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on VHT's 2/50/2 Stereo rack amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on VHT's 2/50/2 Stereo rack amp?

I would think that all VHT products are great, but what type of sound
    out of this unit would i get? All i want is...EVERYTHING !!!!!!!

Do you read the Harmony Central forums? Someone in the amp section was looking at various power amps, and there was a LOT of info posted about the VHTs. I don't have a link for you, but it was staying toward the top of the thread listing due to all the posting activity.
    sigpic

Comment

I'd look a the 2-90-2. Runs KT88s and is definitely a punchier unit and better sounding to my ears as I'm not much of an EL34 fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
        I'd look a the 2-90-2. Runs KT88s and is definitely a punchier unit and better sounding to my ears as I'm not much of an EL34 fan.
        +1 I love my VHT 2/90/2! More than my Mesa 2:100 that has 6l6's. The KT88s kick ass in the VHT! You won't be spending that much more for the 2/90/2.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
          John, does that really matter when he is using it to power a Boss GT-8?

I heard that if you plug a modeling processor into a VHT power amp you have to go to confession.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            I heard that if you plug a modeling processor into a VHT power amp you have to go to confession.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

John, does that really matter when he is using it to power a Boss GT-8?

Sounds like a deal with the Devil ?? How can that be a bad thing?
              Who knows? I may be so overwelmed with the direct tone, that
              i throw my GT away! ( yeah right.)

Comment

Yeah, I'd think it does. The KT88 will be less prone to break up and saturation than an EL34 will be and will provide a more accurate reproduction of the signal but with a bit of a tube coloration.

Yeah... But hey, it's a start...

Comment

I've owned 2 VHT 2-90-2's (I still have one) and it's one of the best (if not the best) power amp around! Just don't use a modeler with it....plug in a real preamp and you'll get the most out of your setup!

- Joel
                  RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                  RIP Dime

Comment

Ok...if im the brunt of an inside joke...tell me! Am i defeating
                    all of the tube mojo in ANY tube power amp, by using the GT-8?
                    If so...then i should just save a $grand and stick to my Peavey CS
                    200 SS Stereo amp? Tell me, if this Noob is just wasting his time on
                    a quality tube stereo amp? Ill get that PRS instead! Or should i look
                    into a quality tube "Pre Amp" instead, to go with my SS amp?
                    Would i be better off with an ENGL Pre amp, instead of a Mesa 2:90
                    or VHT 2/50/2 ? Im just amazed by how great stereo is in the bedroom, and so i thought i would increase my "quality" of sound by going with a
                    higher end stereo tube amp? Let a noob know!

Comment

It will sound good with both tube and high end solid state units. I'd think the VHT will sound better. But a good solid state unit (especially for the bedroom) is pretty cool too..

You can do whatever you want. If it sounds good to you, it sounds good and that's all that is important. Modelers don't sound that great to me. I don't like them, even as much as I've tried to.

I prefer tube preamps and power amps. That is just me. Low or high volume, I like the feel that tubes give me.

A good modeler and a good solid state amp is quite fine, especially for low volume home use.

Hey, a nice ENGL 570 will sound awesome too. haha... Prolly not as versatile as a modeler, but what it will do, it will do very very well. All in what you want.

Comment

I run both a Sansamp PSA-1 into the VHT. It's a modeling amp. I've also run the ADA MP-1 through the VHT. When I switch over to the Mesa 2:100 6L6 Tube amp or my ADA B200S solid state amp the tone is not as good. It seems the bottom and overall "tube" sound suffers over using the VHT that has the KT88's. It's most likely preferential, but I really like the tone of the VHT power amp.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Robert - are you playing out at all, or are you just making the same mistakes so many of us have made and creating the ultimate bedroom stadium filler?

I ask because your tastes seem to change with the passing breeze, and it seems like you just want to spend a lot of money.

If you're playing out, then BY ALL MEANS!!! If not, you may just want to find a lower powered tube poweramp (if you absolutely need tubes), and just stick to SS stuff, since it's better at lower volumes etc.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                            Robert - are you playing out at all, or are you just making the same mistakes so many of us have made and creating the ultimate bedroom stadium filler?

I ask because your tastes seem to change with the passing breeze, and it seems like you just want to spend a lot of money.

If you're playing out, then BY ALL MEANS!!! If not, you may just want to find a lower powered tube poweramp (if you absolutely need tubes), and just stick to SS stuff, since it's better at lower volumes etc.
                            Good advice! No...i havent played out in 18 years.. I have played for
                            2000 people before, so im no shmo'! LOL But here is where im at...
                            I got into a rut' from 87' to about 2001 just playing through Crate 2/12
                            chorus combo amps. Thought they were cool sounding, and hey..cant
                            beat that $359.00 price either! Then just 4 months ago, i purchased my
                            first Marshall DSL 2000 (first tube amp ever) and thought the new found
                            Bottom' was great. But i kinda got caught up in "mono" land, until accidentally discovering my old Peavey SS rack amp (110 watts per side)
                            and all of the sudden my tone exploded out of the GT-8. Nearly..(nearly) what i would consider a fantastic tone. My first thoughts were that if is sounds this good in solid state land...just how much better would
                            it be in "Tube Stereo"? High quality tube stereo! Thats all...heck maybe
                            like some of you have said..."it may only be 10% better overall".
                            I can hear the subtle differences, and flavor and warmth that tubes
                            offer, so i know it will be better. Hopefull way better? And yes...finally
                            at 52 i have major disposable income! So shoot me. I can spend about
                            $10 k this year on "Stuff". But some members here have spent $150K
                            on "Stuff"! So im still at the bottom end of the high rollers around here. And once again.. THANK YOU! At least i appreciate the info, and
                            good advice from all of you. Im hoping that after a quality 2 space rack
                            stereo amp is purchased, and maybe 3 or 4 more great axes... im done?
                            Right? LOL But i can hope.

Comment

In that case, Mesa 20/20. Plenty of what you yearn for. Carvin might even have something - if not, the Peavey Classic 50/50 is a well-liked poweramp. But if money is not object...

Comment

Working...
                              X