Used Vetta at Guitar Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    There is no comparison between a Flextone II and a Vetta. Its like comparing a Porsche 914 to a Carrera S4
    So what do I do about the Flextone II? I sort of bought it out of impulse and frustration and the auction is closed. Oh, well. I'm also thinking about just selling it when it gets here and then getting the Vetta II half stack from Musician's Friend when my tax refund comes in.

Seriously, I had immediate buyer's remorse after snagging the Flextone.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

So, guys....help me solve the delimma. The Flextone II is on the way. No problem. I've always liked the early Flextones and it'll be a nice portable practice and jamming amp, which I don't have now.

So the delimma is....

1. An original Vetta combo for $700.00. Seems to be a bit rough condition.
      Pros - Cheaper than new, still sounds good
      Cons - a bit rough, older software

2. A new Vetta halfstack when tax money comes in.
      Pros - Latest software, warranty, and I like the sound of a 4x12 cab better than a 2x12 combo.
      Cons - the price.

How would you handle this?

Comment

I'm a renowned cheapskate, so #1 and a download.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
          I'm a renowned cheapskate, so #1 and a download.
          So is the software upgrade free? I also don't have a MIDI interface. That would be another expense.

EDIT: I just checked their website. They don't list any software for the original Vetta. So how would I get that?
          Last edited by PowerTube; 04-21-2007, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I got mine for $1050 on eBay WITH a 4x12 Vetta cab... Was somewhat local so we met up, no worry about shipping either. If they dont come down to $800 or so, walk.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
              So is the software upgrade free? I also don't have a MIDI interface. That would be another expense.

EDIT: I just checked their website. They don't list any software for the original Vetta. So how would I get that?

Search function brings up

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yes it is. Unless you want the Variax shit (and looks of a Vetta II), just got and buy a used Vetta I. It's the cheapest option out there.
                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
                  Yes it is. Unless you want the Variax shit (and looks of a Vetta II), just got and buy a used Vetta I. It's the cheapest option out there.
                  So is that all they've done, just add the Variax support? I thought that the modelling had somehow been "improved."

If it's just adding the Variax stuff, I don't care about that.

Comment

As the "modelling" is entirely software, so long as you upgrade your Vetta I to the version 2 (2.5 is the latest) software, you have all the benefits of a Vetta II. That's why you'd be mad to buy a Vetta II IMHO. If you really want Variax support later down the track, you can also just add that expansion card to your Vetta I.
                    Last edited by Sanctuary; 04-22-2007, 02:01 AM.
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

There's also a huge difference sonically and feature-wise between a Vetta with the earlier software and the free upgrade. Just off the top of my head:

1) they improved many of the amp emulations and the direct recording outs
                      2) they added effects, including whammy
                      3) they added several new amps including the bogner uberschall and engl powerball
                      ...and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember. You can get a cheap USB to midi interface for under $50: It's WELL worth it for the upgrade, plus you can download your presets onto your computer to save or swap with other users, and then can load theirs into your Vetta, etc. It's the best $50 you'll spend, trust me.

Pete

Comment

Final Update: I got tired of waiting, so I called the guy back at 2:00 today. "Still haven't heard anything." So I said, "Screw this. Tell your manager that if he'll let it go for $700.00, I'll come get it right now." So he called back in about 15 minutes and said yes.

So I got over there. This time, though, it wasn't in the floor anymore. It was now up on top of another amp which led me to notice that one of the bottom corner plates was dented and out of whack. It was an omen. This deal wasn't meant to happen. Nitpicking or not, this was the final straw that told me to walk. And on top of it all, the very idea that I had to talk them down from $1199.00 to $700.00 on an amp that should go for about $600.00 in the first place...

So I rode off into the sunset, never to return. Or at least not on that particular amp.

Me = 1
                        GC = 0

Fuck it. I'll find a used Flextone or Flextone II somewhere. It isn't like the Vetta's overdrive sounds can touch my Marshall anyway. I'm mainly looking for a decent clean and some versatility.
                        You did the right thing imo. There are more...and somewhere out there,
                        there is one that a guy like me used at home, and its mint. I realise that
                        its a business, but they probably only gave the guy who traded it in $400
                        for it! They wanted to give me $600 for my dead mint DSL 2000 50 watt
                        head. I sold mine for $950 instead. You were smart

Comment

We can now close the book on this one, guys. I was at GC when they opened at high noon today with every intention of buying it. But being the anal(ytical) type that I am, I decided to fire it up once more and check it all out. My review? Yes, it sounds good. Very solid, very good quality feel overall. But... it didn't sound as good as my Marshall with the Metal Muff and the GE-7 inline. Not even close. I'm an experienced tweaker and I strongly sense that the Vetta has some killer sounds in there, but I declined.

Another factor is that I would have to buy a Floorboard of some description (GC stocks only the Express, not the Longboard or the Shortboard). I also have the delimma of getting a pedal for the Flextone II that's coming in. The pedals for it have been "officially" discontinued. So guess what I did? I solved the whole problem by getting a Floor POD Plus. It has the POD 2.0 models which I've always loved, adds a wah/volume pedal, and resolves the footswitch issue. So now I can have my killer lead sound across the Marshall and the cleans and versatility I want on the Flextone II.

Problem solved and I'm happy.

Last edited by PowerTube; 04-22-2007, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I'm an experienced tweaker and I strongly sense that the Vetta has some killer sounds in there, but I declined.

Problem solved and I'm happy.

Two things to consider... both amps can be used with an aftermarket midi pedal, you aren't stuck with line6. Any midi pedal that can send CC messages can be configured any way you want.

Second... a Vetta has so many options, it's kinda like saying I know how to ride a bike so I can fly a plane.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
                              Two things to consider... both amps can be used with an aftermarket midi pedal, you aren't stuck with line6. Any midi pedal that can send CC messages can be configured any way you want.

Second... a Vetta has so many options, it's kinda like saying I know how to ride a bike so I can fly a plane.

Pete
                              I agree with what you're saying and I'm sure I barely even touched the tip of the iceberg on the Vetta's capabilities, but it's also a bit of a "familiarity" thing with me. I already love the earlier Line 6 stuff (POD and Flextone I and II), and I also like the idea that I can take the Floor POD Plus anywhere and plug it right in (same with the POD but this also solves the footswitch matter).

I guess the bottom line is that this entire deal just didn't "feel" right from the start. I wanted to totally fall in love with the Vetta and, given time and tweaking, I might have done just that, but I also feel that the Floor POD and Flextone is going to give me just what I wanted in the first place: versatility.

Either way, I'm happy now.

Comment

Working...
                              X