Roland JC-120 and a POD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland JC-120 and a POD

Has anyone had much experience with this setup? I'm kicking around picking up a Roland JC-120, and ditching the poweramp/4x12 cab setup - too much for what I do... It seems like the JC-120 would be custom made fpr something like this.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm also thinking about looking for a GT-6 to use as well...

Thanks...

if you're going to use it with a modeller than you should get a power amp or something like a power block imo. The Jazzchorus has its own voicing that is gonna make your pod sound very different.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
      Has anyone had much experience with this setup? I'm kicking around picking up a Roland JC-120, and ditching the poweramp/4x12 cab setup - too much for what I do... It seems like the JC-120 would be custom made fpr something like this.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm also thinking about looking for a GT-6 to use as well...

Thanks...
      Yes. I don't own a JC, but what originally sold me on the POD about three years ago was the fact that Guitar Center was running one across a JC60 at the time. I figured that if I could get a metal sound I liked across that, then the POD was a winner. That was what convinced me once and for all that I wanted one. Even across the JC60, the Modern Hi-Gain still sounded very tube-like to me.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

A power amp will sound better than a JC120.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          A power amp will sound better than a JC120.
          I can agree with this. I doubt that the JC120 will let the POD do any really brutal death tones, but my sound is more 80's than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            I can agree with this. I doubt that the JC120 will let the POD do any really brutal death tones, but my sound is more 80's than anything else.

For an 80's metal sound using the POD you can use any decent SS or tube power amp and either run out of a mono speaker or run it stereo.
            A Roland JC120 and a POD is not a magical combination.
            I would think for portability... an Atomic amp would be a much better choice. The guys over on the LINE 6 site love the Atomic stuff.

Comment

I've used a POD XT with a JC120. My brother loves those amps straight up and he has 3 or four of them, combo and head + cab versions.
              I Oh MY GOD 4 Home Runs in ROW!!!!????

Anyway, I just bought a Roland KC150 and it sounds great with the XT. It has 4 channels, an XLR input. I just got it the other day and am still fooling with it but I would say grab one of these over the 120.

Comment

I used to run a Marshall JMP-1 into a JC-120 and it was absolutely brutal. I'm not so familiar with the POD but I'd guess the POD/JC-120 combo would be really unique.. give it a shot. At least you wouldn't sound like everybody else

Comment

Alright. I'll forget the JC-120, and stick with:

Floor Pod Plus >> Poweramp >> B-52 AT-412B cab.

Now that I think about it...it wouldn't really be any different than a Flextone III XL would it? I've already been there...

I also picked up a Rocktron Replitone MP preamp tonight, so that should really be a killer pre. I used to have the Replitone 2x12 combo - but it was too loud. Looks like it's time to start a new thread!!
                  Last edited by chrisolson; 04-22-2007, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
                    I Oh MY GOD 4 Home Runs in ROW!!!!????

Anyway,
                    LOL!! A little A.D.D.?

Comment

Sorry. I'm sitting here watching the Yanks and Red Sox .
                      Check out one of these KC150's though if you get a chance. They are really cool for exactly what you are talking about. I meant to add also that the 120 was ok but didn't quite sound right to me, I liked going into the effects return of my marshall 3203 or even a Tube Works mosvalve monstrosity that was lying around better.
                      Last edited by Tashtego; 04-22-2007, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Now that I think about it...it wouldn't really be any different than a Flextone III XL would it? I've already been there...
                        Actually....it would. The Floor POD Plus has POD 2.0 (2.3) models, not XT/Flextone III models. The POD XT Live is based on the POD XT.

*I just bought a Floor POD Plus today and it sounds killer across my Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                          Actually....it would. The Floor POD Plus has POD 2.0 (2.3) models, not XT/Flextone III models. The POD XT Live is based on the POD XT.

*I just bought a Floor POD Plus today and it sounds killer across my Marshall.
                          Yeah, I'm aware of that - you misinterpreted what I was saying.

What I was saying is that by putting a Pod in tandem with any 2x12 combo, you've essentially created a Flextone (or Vetta if you will...).

I've had all the PODs made so far (in some cases more than once...), so I know what they all do - you don't have to explain the differences between the 2.0, 2.3, XT, XT Live and so on. I'm on it!

Comment

Yeah, I'm aware of that - you misinterpreted what I was saying.

What I was saying is that by putting a Pod in tandem with any 2x12 combo, you've essentially created a Flextone (or Vetta if you will...).

I've had all the PODs made so far (in some cases more than once...), so I know what they all do - you don't have to explain the differences between the 2.0, 2.3, XT, XT Live and so on. I'm on it!
                            I see. Sorry about the misunderstanding. But while we're on this subject... what exactly is the difference between the 2.0 and the 2.3? I bought a 2.0 about 2 1/2 years ago, but was told at the time that all of the current ones had the 2.3 software. I know that the 2.0 added 16 more amp models over the 1.0, but I've never heard the difference between the 2.0 and 2.3.

Comment

Has anyone had much experience with this setup? I'm kicking around picking up a Roland JC-120, and ditching the poweramp/4x12 cab setup - too much for what I do... It seems like the JC-120 would be custom made for something like this.

Thanks...
                              A GT-6 or GT-8 would be fine with the JC-120 (obviously, since it's a Roland/Boss product). There's a setting on the units for optimal use with the JC-120.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X