Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used a tube screamer on a clean channel for OD at the gig...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used a tube screamer on a clean channel for OD at the gig...

I felt weird, I've always used tube screamers as boosts, not actual distortion generators. Didn't work bad at all, it was on a clean module on a Randall RM100. I'm going to mod the pedal with a Landgraff mod and tweak it out a bit, but I was surprised how good it sounded even stock.

Pete

Which settings pete?

Comment

gain at 3/4 up, volume at half, tone at half.

Pete

Comment

Why'd you use the Tube Screamer instead of one of the drive modules, did the amp's footswitch malfunction? Just curious....
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Pete - you need to try the Clark Gainster. Imagine a TS that doesn't suck the lows and highs.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

The only problem I have with my ts10(w/4558) is its notch-ass mids. Boost and grit are what I use it for, crunch/clean channels on my jsx. Have to keep an eye out for a gainster too.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
              Why'd you use the Tube Screamer instead of one of the drive modules, did the amp's footswitch malfunction? Just curious....
              Nope, more flexibility. Wanted a low-mid gain tone, had my other two modules set to burn.

Here's a clip of a tube screamer I modded today into the front of a clean amp.

Petehttp://members.cox.net/vht50/mod1.mp3

Comment

ooops, try this:

Comment

Sweet jeebs, you get such awesome tone. I'd say you did a good job with the mod
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Pete, I am going to send you my Eternity to try. I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzreiser View Post
                      Pete, I am going to send you my Eternity to try. I'll be interested to see what you think of it.
                      That may be a bad idea, how much are those usually? I don't want to get addicted to a super high-end pedal If you do though that would be pretty cool!

Pete

Comment

Heh. I use my TS as a boost into my Triple's clean and then smack it with a SD-1. I can go from Petty to '80s hair fairly quickly...
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Yeah I did a Ts808 type "Brown Sound" mod on my reissue TS9...wth the correct Chip( I think it was 10 Bucks to purchase the Mod parts and Direction from a mod guy on Ebay). Love it through my Hiwatt DR504 Head set at clean. I used to own a Vintage TS9. Always a very sweet sound. Even with the Drive at Zero...as a clean boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                            Sweet jeebs, you get such awesome tone. I'd say you did a good job with the mod
                            Didn't see this earlier. Thanks man!

Comment

Originally posted by dd3keegs View Post
                              Yeah I did a Ts808 type "Brown Sound" mod on my reissue TS9...wth the correct Chip( I think it was 10 Bucks to purchase the Mod parts and Direction from a mod guy on Ebay). Love it through my Hiwatt DR504 Head set at clean. I used to own a Vintage TS9. Always a very sweet sound. Even with the Drive at Zero...as a clean boost.
                              Scary thing about the 4558's is that there is little to no difference imho with the 4558's that are 'vintage' or new. You can buy those chips for like $.35 each or so. Companies are given the specs that the 4558 has to meet, and then different ones (JRC, Ti, whoever) make their chips to those specs. I've noticed a lot more difference by changing component values than the type of 4558 in pedals.

TL072's actually sound a little better to my ears and are quieter... I have some fairly pricy Burr Brown's and others coming to me soon, I may do a tubescreamer chip shootout.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X