X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lonestar failure

Purchase date: Feb 22, 2007

Failure date: Today April 22, 2007

The tube in position 1 (far left when viewed from the back) is dark. I was using the following effects when it failed.

Loop: Boss CH-1 chorus into Roland DEP 3 delay reverb in line mode. Send level in the 12 o'clock position. DEP 3 input meter was dark. Output level very low.

Input: Fender Strat into Boss CS-3 compressor-sustainer into Radial Tonebone classic (Compressor on/Tone bone off) Compressor output level medium.

LoneStar: Channel 1, gain very low, Master Out medium, Output low... Practice volume.

The amp has been used every day for about two hours. Do I buy a new tube or a box of new tubes? Is there something wrong with my effect set-up?

any help would be appreciated.
    Graham

The amp is a Mesa Lonestar special 30 watt 1-12 combo (in 15 watt mode)

I would just go ahead and put all new tubes in, and see what happens.

Comment

Yep, 12AX7 tubes don't have to be matched or anything unless it's a PI, then "matching triodes" are suggested. Tubsetore.com has great prices.
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

my last amp lasted 27 years. I feel repairs every 2 months is a little bit insulting given the price of the Mesa. I doesn't sound 3 million times better...

Comment

First off, is the tube a preamp or power amp tube? Did your last amp have tubes that lasted 27 years?

Comment

I'd replace the tube and if that doesn't fix it or it happens again then I'd take advantage of the Mesa 5 year warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps View Post
              First off, is the tube a preamp or power amp tube? Did your last amp have tubes that lasted 27 years?
              My last amp was my first amp. A sad Yamaha G130 solid state P.O.S. I'm very happy with the sound of the Mesa but it let me down in a very short time frame. I guess I should have my guitar tech look into it for me... except I don't have one. I don't expect tubes to last that long but I would expect 24 - 36 months in rehearsal mode, not 2 months.

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                I'd replace the tube and if that doesn't fix it or it happens again then I'd take advantage of the Mesa 5 year warranty.
                I might have to do just that... I'm in good standing with my dealer Bill in Toronto. He's helped me before.

Is my set-up ok for a weak tube amp?

Comment

Here's the thing - tubes can go out, and it's not the fault of the amp in many cases.

Never did mention if it was a preamp or power amp tube. Preamps are smaller. One thing you can do also is swap the bad tube with another one and see if the problem follows the tube or the socket. It may be a problem with the amp, but then again, it may just be a tube.

Comment

thanks guys. I'll replace the tube and go at it again while the warrenty expires and never buy a Mesa again.

Comment

Mesa tubes are cheap, relabeled Chinese tubes. You have only had the amp for 2 months. How can you say it needs repair, 'every tow months'?

That being said, Mesa has the worst reliability rating. A nationally known repair shop in the US is loaded with Mesa repairs. They cringe every time they have one come in, so you may be foreshadowing, but I hope it works out well for you.

Comment

Try replacing the tube or swapping it out with another one providing its a preamp tube (they are the small ones)

Comment

Bought my MkIII new in '88 - no issues. Ever. Retube every two years.
                          Bought my Stiletto new les than a year ago - no issues.

"Never buy a Mesa again" - Cool, more for me.
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by SpudBoy View Post
                            thanks guys. I'll replace the tube and go at it again while the warrenty expires and never buy a Mesa again.
                            I guess when you get a flat tire, you never buy a car from that company again too?

Comment

Dude, Mesa isn't the only company that puts in cheap tubes stock. They all do it. First thing you should do with any new tube amp is put in the tubes of your choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X