Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on EVH D Tuna Drop D Tuning System

Greetings.

I'm new here so I'll introduce myself real quick. I'm a 30 yr. old male from the St. Louis, MO area. I've been playing since Dec. '05. I currently own:

Jackson DXMG Dinky (Black)
    Jackson WRXT Warrior (Inferno Red)

I know they're not high-end axes but I enjoy playing them. To me Jacksons just feel more natural and are easier to play than most other guitars I've tried.

Anyway, they both have licensed Floyd Rose tremolos so trying alternate tunings with them would be a major pain in the butt. I recently learned of the EVH D Tuna System and became interested in it as I have a desire to learn a new song that is in Drop D tuning.

Has anyone here ever used one of these? What are the pros & cons? Any hidden 'gotchas'?

Thanks in advance.

Please excuse me if it takes me awhile to check back on this thread.

I had a Wolfgang with it. It's simple and works great.
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

won't be in this thread for long, if joe gets around to moving it to the proper thread.
      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

It works great, but you can't have your Floyd floating if you use it.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll probably be getting one.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. Please be gentle, I'm a newbie here. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by buzzsaww View Post
            I had a Wolfgang with it. It's simple and works great.
            +1
            But like randog said, you can't have your Floyd floating.
            Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

If your Jacksons have the low pro licensed Jackson trems, the D Tuna won't fit. According to the official website, it only installs to OFR's and licensed trems where the fine tuner screw presses down directly on the string locking screw. That would be OFR, Ping and Schaller trems. Low pro Jackson licensed trems have the locking screw directly on the saddle and a lever that goes under the fine tuner screw.

Oh, and welcome to the JCF!
              My gear -> 2004 Jackson DK2 EDS, JT580LP trem, SD Custom Shop Crazy 8 trembucker (bridge), SSL-2 Vintage rw/rp (middle) and SSL-6 Custom (neck) single coils, CTS pots, 5-way super switch with custom wiring, GHS Boomers TNT 10-52, ENGL Powerball E645 V2 head, ENGL Custom Footswitch Z-5, Framus FR 212 CS cab

Comment

Pros...works as advertised.

Cons (for some)
                1. Bridge can't be floating.
                2. Recessed bridges may need to be blocked to not float, and so that the bridge is set parellel to the body to have enought clearence from the recess for it to fit.
                3. If the recess is real deep, it probably won't work at all. I don't think It would work with my Ibanez RG550 recess.

Comment

Aw bummer! I could live without the bridge floating but unfortunately both of my Jacksons have the low profile Floyds. After taking a good look at them I can see why the D Tuna wouldn't fit.

Oh well, maybe this is an excuse to buy another guitar. :-) This time one without a floating bridge.

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

why not just make one of the axes in drop D tuning?

then you can add a bunch of new songs to the ever widening list!!

But remember it's just a starting point. Next you'll need to add a new axe , so you can make that one tuned a half step down.

then another one a whole step down tuned
                    etc,etc.

At least thats what i keep telling the wife!!

Comment

Originally posted by kp59 View Post
                      why not just make one of the axes in drop D tuning?

then you can add a bunch of new songs to the ever widening list!!

But remember it's just a starting point. Next you'll need to add a new axe , so you can make that one tuned a half step down.

then another one a whole step down tuned
                      etc,etc.

At least thats what i keep telling the wife!!

Actually, I've already started on that path. The Dinky is in standard tuning and the Warrior is in Eb (half step down). Fortunately, I don't have a wife to object to an expanding guitar collection. Just a shortage of disposable income.

Comment

Working...
                      X