Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This one's too dark, this one's too bright...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This one's too dark, this one's too bright...

I finally took apart my 2 upright 2x12 cabs to do some driver swapping. One is a Mesa Rectifier upright 2x12 with Vintage 30's, the other is a Marshall "diagonal pattern" square 2x12 model 1966b (jgcable posted a picture of one of these a couple of months back) with G12T-75's.

I always thought the Mesa was too bright and the Marshall too dark, so today I put one Vintage 30 and one GT12T-75 in each. For both cabs I put the 75's in the bottom position.

Both now sound absolutely killer! Interestingly though they still sound very different even though they have the exact same driver combo. Construction, size, & configuration clearly have a big impact on sound.

Sadly with my 4x12 back from the former-band's practice space I may have to sell off one sometime soon to make some space in my music room. So sad!

I have always found Mesa's dark and Marshalls bright.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      I have always found Mesa's dark and Marshalls bright.
      +1 But V30s and G12T-75s always mix well together in whatever cab they're in.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        I have the same config in my Marshall 1936 cab.

joe...
        www.godwentpunk.com
        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Do you use these cabs when you play a show? I was considering getting one of the Avatar 2x12 cabs, which they often sell with mixed drivers. I'm sure that they sound great with the mixed speakers, but miking them would produce a much different tone FOH than what you are hearing. Do you mic both and blend the sound or mic whichever sounds best?
          "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

I haven't tried them at a show yet, and not having a band at the moment, don't know when that will happen. I was also wondering what to do if I should need to mic them....

Comment

Originally posted by neverdunn View Post
              Do you use these cabs when you play a show? I was considering getting one of the Avatar 2x12 cabs, which they often sell with mixed drivers. I'm sure that they sound great with the mixed speakers, but miking them would produce a much different tone FOH than what you are hearing. Do you mic both and blend the sound or mic whichever sounds best?

A point I voice all the time. That is the reason I dislike mixed cabs regardless of how good they sound 10' away.

Comment

Originally posted by neverdunn View Post
                That's a good point, and I don't play live. Though, I would probably either mic both or put the mic between them and try to get the best mix of the two.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X