Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best pre-distortion boost: EQ, compressor or overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pre-distortion boost: EQ, compressor or overdrive?

After spending a couple of evenings dialing in some "ballpark" settings, I'm supposed to start laying down some rhythm tracks on Thursday night. For leads, I'll be using my longtime favorite ART Xtreme distortion (DST-4 preamp) and Tube EQ, but this will be my first time with the Peavey Rockmaster on rhythm tracks. I have a Rocktron Multi-Valve processor and BBE Sonic Maximizer 362NR in its loop. I've always liked Arch Enemy's guitar tone, and picked up a few tips on the Andy Sneap forum that have steered me right so far.

I feel like I'm 90% there. All that's lacking is a bit of punch that I simply can't seem to get with EQ tweaks or trying different guitar/pickup combinations. The only thing I haven't tried yet is running some sort of clean boost in front of the Rockmaster. The only thing I have on-hand at the moment is a Peavey Dirty Dog two-channel overdrive/distortion pedal that I was using to boost my old VTM-60 head. Otherwise I'll have to buy or maybe borrow something.

Any general pros or cons to any one of those pedal types running between the guitar and preamp?
    sigpic

i like to use a compressor set low with a hi output. to my ears it makes my sound HUGE!!!! but i only do that when recording....because it also limits the dynamic range on the guitar and helps the "big" sound sit better in the mix.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Compressor.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Any reason why a multi-effect unit's compressor couldn't work fine for this? I can get a DOD FX-80B Compressor/Sustainer locally for $35, but I was already planning to get a Boss ME-50, which already has a built-in compressor. I don't have much experience with compressors, as the last one I owned (Ibanez Soundtank) died shortly after I bought it.
        sigpic

Comment

it has abunch of other junk to run through. i use the MXR now. i used to use a DOD and got great results.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

compressors that come bundled in multi-fx processors are crap imho. get a decent dedicated one. drawmer do some really nice ones. avoid the behringer stuff.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

My options are pretty limited in the time I have available, so I'll give the DOD a try. Although I've used some DOD pedals that were junk, the FX80-B gets consistently good reviews. I'm still going to try my Dirty Dog as a clean boost too, just in case it turns out to be a diamond in the rough.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X