2x12 vs 4x12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x12 vs 4x12

I currently play a Soldano SLO100 head into a Marshall 1960A cab with Eminence speakers. I love the sound, but the cab is a hassle to haul around to jam sessions. If I were to get a 2x12, with the same speakers I like, is it true that there would be a big difference in tone, especially low end? I keep hearing that a 2x12 just doesn't have the great low end of a 4x12 cab.

Low end? I think that's why bands have bassists.

Seriously, a 212 is perfect for most local gigs. Besides, you're playing a Soldano SLO 100...put that through a quality cab, and it's STILL gonna eat most amps alive.

Comment

Originally posted by atilla View Post
      Low end? I think that's why bands have bassists.

Seriously, a 212 is perfect for most local gigs. Besides, you're playing a Soldano SLO 100...put that through a quality cab, and it's STILL gonna eat most amps alive.
      I agree completely. If you NEED low end though, maybe look into the Genz Benx G-Flex 2x12 cabs. I understand they have a little extra oomph...

Comment

No, I only play classic rock/hair metal/progressive rock type stuff. No downtuned KORN or anything. I was just referring to lows in general. And if I sell the 4x12, I don't want to feel I'm missing something.

Comment

+1 on the G-Flex
          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

a 2 12 does not have the same bottom end man. You will notice a difference in bass response. 4 12 cabs hit alot harder and play louder. 2 12's are good for smaller areas and if your practice space is small then it will work fine.

Basically keep the 4 12 and pick up a 2 12 and compare them. If it has enough bass for you then get rid of the 4 and keep the 2

Comment

+2 on the G-Flex

Comment

+3

I actually just bought a G-Flex for the exact same purposes and it is a kickass 2x12. It is light, easy to move with the cool top-corner mounted handles, and retains the low end through the porting.

Sounds great with my SLO100 BUT still does not have the magic of a 4x12 IMHO.

If you mic your amp and run through the mains it might not be as much of an impact on your tone through FOH, though.

Bret
                www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Well, I think I'll definitely keep my 4x12! I might buy a 2x12 later on(those little ADA 2x12 cabs usually sell pretty cheap), but I don't think I'll be selling my Marshall cab over it. Thanks everyone, once again, for the great advice.

Comment

+4 on the G-Flex

Comment

If you try the G-Flex you may be tempted to sell the 4x12.

Comment

+5 on the g-flex

Comment

Nothing matches the thunder of a 4x12 IMO, but my Mesa rectifier upright 2x12 cab comes damn close.

Comment

Do like I did and get a Randall 2x12/1X15.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+6 on the G-Flex.
                              RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                              CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                              Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                              Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Working...
                              X