Boss Gt-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Gt-8

I live in a small bedsit so volumes tend to be kept low. I created patches whilst my GT-8 was plugged into my multitrack, in turn connected to my PC, so I was using my PC's speakers. Everything sounded fine. However, since using my powered pro speakers, it is incredibly difficult to create the same sounds. Is it time I switched to using an amp, or are my speakers too low off the ground, or are the plastic cd boxes these monitors sitting on causing the issue? I'm thinking of getting some stands and relocating everything or just getting some breeze blocks to place the monitors on. Being as my walls are thin, I'm wondering if placing the monitors close to them might colour the sound.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

You are creating the same sounds - you're just hearing em better now ( 'cause of the better speakers). Give your ears time to adjust to the higher quality.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Make sure you have the output set correctly. When you switch power sources and speakers you usually have to retweak your patches. Once you find the correct settings they will probably work with all your created patches.

Comment

Is there a way to connect the GT-8 to a computer and backup all the patches one has created? I already have a USB/Midi cable. but have no idea which software I can use.

is $299 for a used gt-8 in 8.5/10 condition great deal? I can probably get him to lower the price to $275.
        Sam

Comment

If 8.5 relates to just cosmetics ie: scraches, then yes it's a good deal. I won't take on anything that's got things broken on it. There are cables for MIDI to USB but I don't know where to get the free software from.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
            Is there a way to connect the GT-8 to a computer and backup all the patches one has created? I already have a USB/Midi cable. but have no idea which software I can use.

is $299 for a used gt-8 in 8.5/10 condition great deal? I can probably get him to lower the price to $275.
            You are good to go with the USB/Midi cable.

Now all you need is the GT Librarian software. It will allow you to move patches back and forth from your computer to your GT-8 by individual or bulk. Also, it allows you to archive all User Banks: http://www.rolandmusik.de/ftp/pub/do..._librarian.zip

And Mr. Sleepy's GT8 Editor. Allows you to create and edit patches on your PC in a great visual perspective. Takes much of the mystery out of the black box.: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert....GT8_Editor.exe

Here's some cool patches for when you are up and running: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert.redding/Patches.zip

And finally, here's a thread on bosscentral.com forum on this topic. http://bossgtcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4887

And $275 sounds like a great deal to me.

Good luck and have fun
            "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
              I live in a small bedsit so volumes tend to be kept low. I created patches whilst my GT-8 was plugged into my multitrack, in turn connected to my PC, so I was using my PC's speakers. Everything sounded fine. However, since using my powered pro speakers, it is incredibly difficult to create the same sounds. Is it time I switched to using an amp, or are my speakers too low off the ground, or are the plastic cd boxes these monitors sitting on causing the issue? I'm thinking of getting some stands and relocating everything or just getting some breeze blocks to place the monitors on. Being as my walls are thin, I'm wondering if placing the monitors close to them might colour the sound.
              I would think that using an amp would color your sound more than using Full Range Flat Response powered speakers (depending on what kind of amp of course). I used to play in Stereo with a Mesa Boogie DC3 and JCM900 tube amps, and was never very happy with my overall tone. Going the FRFR route was like night and day.

Your PC speakers are FRFR as well as your powered pro speakers, so the patch should sound similar. I would try many different speaker positions before deciding to change your amplification. I play through my DAW with Studio Monitors and also through 2 Mackie SRM-450 Powered PA Speakers and I do not need to tweak my patches. Make sure you are using Line Out : output option on the GT-8.

Comment

Mesaboog, thanks a mil for those links. Wilkinsi, the pedal was actually covered with some water stains and when I cleaned it all up with a damp cloth, it looks Brand spanking new. At the base, there are a few scratches, but mostly it now looks 9.8/10. woot! But I got it for $323 out the door. Still I think its a great deal. Let the tweaking frenzy begin!!
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                  One other thing... you can try tweaking the global EQ of the GT-8. The whole purpose of the global EQ is to fine tune frequencies to all patches when changing your amplification. It's not complicated and you can easily adjust every time you are going back and forth from PC to your amps.

Comment

Just got that editor and some patches. The Curtain Swell is fucking trippy!
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                    X